SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Coming from someone that was scared of letting the smoke out, that sure looks like a nice clean installation.

I wonder what would happen for warranty service if you installed a small power connector on the back of the radio that connects directly to the radio power, and a little switch to turn the Anylink on and off???
Thanks!

I was wondering about the state of the battery too. However, I used to power my DX6i with alkaline AAs and they lasted for weeks. I assume I'll get similar performance with the AnyLInk. Right now, the only plane I need the AnyLInk for is the Dr.1 and I fly that maybe every other week. I think I'll just test it with a volt meter when I charge the transmitter's battery, and replace as necessary.

I actually thought about making a "Y" connector and using the internal battery too. Figured I could file a small slot in the battery door for the lead. That would eliminate voltage level concerns. But I hate soldering those tiny wires!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Maybe they should send me a free Anylink and brick for the help in making their customers happy since they can't buy the DX8 type cable yet and needed to make their own.
+1 to that!

Don
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:20 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,301 Posts
I'm reading now that anylink has to be changed for mode 1 users?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:02 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
Maybe they (Tower) should send me a free Anylink and brick for the help in making their customers happy since they can't buy the DX8 type cable yet and needed to make their own.
You "helped" Tower??? Maybe you didn't do them any favors since they don't get their $15+ for each cable you helped someone build!

Gene K
Cable Builder
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Then I'll cry them a great big river

Maybe they should have had the "stuff" together a little better when they launched this product line and given us a little better knowledge into what was happening instead of leaving a bunch of us out in the cold!

They also could have easily given these users the same diagram to help them get the Anylink going with other radios since the cable is not yet available.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Maybe they should have .... They also could have ....
Bleeding Edge!

Gene K
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Bleeding Edge!

Gene K

Garbage. This is hardly the first trainer connection RF system.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
Quote:
VI is right, nothing new with Anylink trainer port RF module, Plantraco had their monolith a long time ago, inspired me for my own FlyDream DIY conversion to use with any of my transmitters(Futaba,Hitec,Airtronics)with an appropriate trainer plug between the Tx and module. Off course JR/Spektrum trainer socket having no power an external supply would be needed!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,435 Posts
Quote:
I can think of a couple of things which are new. When the Plantraco Monolith was introduced it sold for $50. Seems to me the AnyLink is way lower than that. Something else which is new is actually giving it away with the purchase of qualifying planes.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Very happy with mine!
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Well ekkkskusssssse me!

I poorly intended "Bleeding Edge" as a reference to your status as one of the first/early buyers, and not the state of current/past technology.

Clearly the logistics aspects of the AnyLink system aren't up to speed.

Garbage Man
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
I can think of a couple of things which are new. When the Plantraco Monolith was introduced it sold for $50. Seems to me the AnyLink is way lower than that. Something else which is new is actually giving it away with the purchase of qualifying planes.

Gordon

Those I will agree with. Tower has it for $19.99 now, the free thing is a loss leader to try and hook you into the system, Horizon does this with most of their RTF products once you remove the price of the aircraft and have a 50% off transmitter in the box. The price is far closer to the real cost than most other systems. Look at the HK Supermicro for $25 which has an FCC logo on it so I assume it was tested. Then if you could find them the Spektrum modules are about $30 if you deducted the price of the receiver. FRSky is around $30, etc. so I think they are right in the correct spot for the retail price when they need to actually sell them. The other DIY through trainer connection systems should have blazed the way and given them everything they needed to know to the product right, and other than having all the parts in stock I think they did a decent job with the RF system (which leaves a little room for improvement). I think the V2 adapters and V2 software will be pretty decent if it proves popular enough to warrant a version 2, the changes are once again scattered through these forums if they choose to dig a little.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,452 Posts
I wonder if it will spur Spektrum to do a external module?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
I wonder if it will spur Spektrum to do a external module?
I'm pretty sure the AnyLInk is a reaction to Spektrum's market share so there wouldn't be much to gain for them.

Probably 95% of the guys who fly ultra micros in my area are using Spektrum radio gear. Sure there are some planes from FlyZone, but there are a lot more from E-Flite and ParkZone.

I have a FlyZone Dr. 1 and it actually flies just fine with the included transmitter. However, I also have a DX8. If the Fokker could be flown with that, why would I bother wtih the stock transmitter?

It's a great marketing idea for FlyZone, and not a bad idea for us fliers!

Don
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
I'm pretty sure the AnyLInk is a reaction to Spektrum's market share so there wouldn't be much to gain for them.
Without the Anylink, I would not have bought the UM F-86.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss