HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Question
Advice for my Guillows Spitfire 403 electric RC conversion

Hello modellers.

I've been given a Guillow's 403 Spitfire and am trying to convert it to electric R/C. I need some advice on the components. Looking at other threads I think that the target weight is likely to be 10 or 11 oz. I'm planning on 4 channel R/C (rudder/elevator/aileron and power).

This will be my first RC plane (I'll look to get an inexpensive 4 channel trainer to learn with before taking this build out)

Do you think that the following combination of motor, esc and prop will work:

Motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1300kv.html
ESC:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...ontroller.html
Prop:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eller_7x4.html

Which inexpensive servos would you recommend to match this ESC and plane?

Also, does this ESC power the receiver as well as the servos and motor?

Many thanks!

Gideon.
GHoldway is offline Find More Posts by GHoldway
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,447 Posts
Have a look at this thread - Guillow's Conversions - The list of conversion threads - it cover just about every Guillows kit built, including the #403 and #504 Spitfire kits. You should find quite a range of equipment can be used, plus all the tips etc on setting the Spit up.

Welcome to RCGroups.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Hello,

Many thanks for that.

I've been through all the threads on the spitfire conversion in the link you have given me, and have, hopefully, used that to help me form the list of components I've given above.

What I would like is if someone with more experience in this than I to tell me that these bits will work together :-) - as a final check...

Many thanks,

Gideon.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
The thing about Guillows kits is that they are notoriously heavy. They are a bit over engineered and tend to use really dense and heavy wood. Your motor and ESC look about right for an 11 oz plane. That ESC does have a BEC, so it will power your servos/rx along with your motor. I was able to keep my Guillows Stearman PT-17 (803) to around 9 oz. and it flew on a similar set up, and I was using 4 GWS pico servos.

That prop is a clone of a Master Airscrew 3 blade. It was designed for .40 size glow motors. You would get better performance and lighter weight if you went with an electric prop. Or this one if you must have a 3 bladed.

Combine them with an 800-1300 mah 3 cell pack and it would undoubtedly fly. But it would be far from a beginner's plane. Not to mention that conversions can be quite tricky to pull off successfully. I was never happy with my Stearman and ended up retiring it after a few flights.

Ive had better luck with other kit makers like Dumas, Peck Polymer, and Herr.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Thanks, very helpful indeed!

I'll order that ESC and motor and the 3 blade prop you link to (I like the "look" the 3 blade prop gives and it is consistent with the mark 9 the kit is based on).

I agree, I know that it's going to be a challenge to learn to fly. I'm planning on getting a cheap and indestructible 4 channel trainer first, and one of those simulation programs.

I'll also take balsa out of the kit behind the centre of lift, keep the dihedral at it's default, change the main wing angle of incidence to just 1 degree, round off the bottom of the leading edge of the main wing a little so that it is less sharp (putting the root angle of incidence back up to around 2 degrees) and introduce some wash-out twist (I'm aiming at 2 degrees incidence at the root going to -0.5 at the tip to match the latter marks of the real aircraft....)

Even if I do lodge it up a pylon on my first outing half the fun is in the build.

Thanks again.

Gideon.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,447 Posts
I have been building and flying models for the past 50 years plus, yet when my son bought me the Guillow's B-17 kit about 10 years ago, it frightened the life out of me. And that was just opening the box and looking inside.

I have built quite a few rubber powered kits in the past, where everything needed cutting out from the balsa. But I have now got so used to building bigger models, and as simply as possible, that I just couldn't start that kit. Anyone who does build a Guillow's and flies it, gets my admiration.

So I did eventually build a B-17, not the kit, that I passed on to someone else, but a nice simple scratchbuilt B-17 at 100" span. Oh so easy in comparison, (to me anyway)
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Suggest you give a Stevens Aero micro kit a try. It'll really boost your confidence, and you'll get a real nice flying plane out of it. The wood is laser cut, and go together like 3D puzzles. They're a lot of fun.

I'd consider these true beginner balsa kits.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress