HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Discussion
Gearing up for Sterling 63'Chris Craft

I am the new kid (70) on the block.I built this same kit in 1961.I have not built anything since.There will be some elementary questions along the way to get up to speed.(HUMOR THE OLD GUY) I built that kit w / AMBROID glue. (1)Anyone have a problem w/that choice again? (2) Since this kit seems to be in some demand,does any one see the need to make tracings etc.of wood parts? I am going to make copies of all paper. Will listen to all who have a birthday between 1961 & 2000. Ha! THANKS FOR THE WELCOME and ANY ADVICE.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,884 Posts
Hey there ya nasty old bilge sludge! Welcome to the forum!

Ambroid would be cool, but at 70 you may not live long enough to see it dry.

Probably ought to move forward a bit and if not CA instant glue at least some good old yellow carpenters glue (Titebond brand) will speed things up nicely.

There's lots of guys here who will hound you for free copies of your plans, so watch out.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ed Croughwell
New England
Joined Mar 2007
252 Posts
Two part Epoxy is my first choice.... 30 min. mix time
modelerman is offline Find More Posts by modelerman
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Thanks for the reply I guess I should've been more specific in my question. My greatest concern is the best glue for water use ambroid? At 70 years old I really don't give a damn how long it takes to dry. I can always glue, go skiing, comeback check glue. If ambroid is still wet, I can go horseback riding. When I come back from that I will glue some more, then go flying real airplanes that you sit in. If the glue is still wet, I will think of something else to do on this 3 acres that I have to take care of. I'll come back glue some more. By that time it will be time for me to prepare dinner for my girlfriend who is at work. She's a bit younger than me, can't retire yet.Gotta go ,nap time zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me do you suggest epoxy because it's the best around water or because of its curing time?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ed Croughwell
New England
Joined Mar 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Thanks for getting back to me do you suggest epoxy because it's the best around water or because of its curing time?
Both..... The longer the cure time the better it resists moisture..
modelerman is offline Find More Posts by modelerman
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,884 Posts
I am unfamiliar with using Ambroid on model boats. When I was a young whippersnapper I did build a couple or so balsa model airplanes using Ambroid.

I restored an old Sterling Chris Craft that was indeed constructed using Ambroid (tell tale reddish/orange color) and that hull was definitely not water tight. IF the hull had been fiberglassed it would have been water tight. So whatever glue you decide to use I would think about fiberglassing the hull.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:10 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Use Titebond lll.( Home Depot or any hardware store) It's water proof,dries fast,can be sanded if need be and is water based so it cleans up well. One thing though is to use thin strips of wood for the hull planking so they won't cup from sucking the water out of the glue. With a large model like the 63' it's tempting to use larger wood for planking and that's just not a good thing. Please keep us posted with your progress and we have to have lots of pictures so we can criticize your work. Ha! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
724 Posts
OBW, welcome aboard. If you search around the forums you will find mucho discussion on whether CA is H2O proof. I recently mended a broken pottery spoon rest with Maxi-Cure CA. It's been through the dishwasher 12 times since then and is still firmly together.

I recently planked my first plank-on-frame hull with Maxi-Cure. The planks were thoroughly soaked in Windex, the excess wiped off, and glued on. It stuck great, gave me a little time to fit and adjust, too. Did not stick my fingers too bad, either.

I also built model combat planes back in the 50's with Ambroid. I seem to remember using it for being fuel proof, which is not an issue with electric powered boats.
CGAux26 is online now Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jun 2004
50 Posts
Plans

If you want to join in the build I think Norgale Pete might still have copies available for a very resonable price and his plans have all of the parts templates. Loking foreward to your build Garey
GFONG is offline Find More Posts by GFONG
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Fiberglass hull ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
I am unfamiliar with using Ambroid on model boats. When I was a young whippersnapper I did build a couple or so balsa model airplanes using Ambroid.

I restored an old Sterling Chris Craft that was indeed constructed using Ambroid (tell tale reddish/orange color) and that hull was definitely not water tight. IF the hull had been fiberglassed it would have been water tight. So whatever glue you decide to use I would think about fiberglassing the hull.
I am familliar w/fiberglass,but, as applied to repair riding mower "nose" and other "heavy" and thick applications. question How thick is the end product as you suggest above? Weight is also of interest but not as much as the thickness.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,884 Posts
Oh, you should do some looking around here on the various Chris Craft and other builds. Fiberglassing the hull means laying down a very lightweight piece of fiberglass cloth and spreading resin over it and then using a squeegee to wipe off the excess. Let it cure, trim off the excess, sand and then apply the multiple coats of finishing resin. There are a at least a few tutorials on here.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
This tutorial uses epoxy resin, but it should give you a good idea on how to apply fiberglass.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329811

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 08, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Back at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Hey there ya nasty old bilge sludge! Welcome to the forum!

Ambroid would be cool, but at 70 you may not live long enough to see it dry.

Probably ought to move forward a bit and if not CA instant glue at least some good old yellow carpenters glue (Titebond brand) will speed things up nicely.

There's lots of guys here who will hound you for free copies of your plans, so watch out.
Now I'm 71, and partially heeding your advice, I'm putting a fan on my AMBROID
Let the criticism and the heckling begin.
OBW
Old May 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,803 Posts
WE WANT PICTURES!!

Just talking about it is like Marilyn Monroe in a trenchcoat.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor