SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
HOw much would they run?
Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to prep the plug then make a mold. Then you also have the part layup which takes a bit of time. Its not just slap some cloth and resin on then pull it out when cured. Each layup need the molds cleaning and waxing then PVA applied etc before laying any cloth. So to make a really nice exact replica but in epoxy glass. I would see it being between $15- $20 and about $5 to ship in the USA.

Now if that is acceptable to all I will make the molds. If anyone can post a pic of the real one so I can see if it needs details like rivets, screws or whatever then I'll move ahead and do one. My parts come out of the molds pre-primed and ready to paint. I'm also thinking of making an inner skin that would laminate around the wing saddle to stop canopies coming off due to wing/body flexing etc.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined May 2009
121 Posts
Sbach Glass parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to prep the plug then make a mold. Then you also have the part layup which takes a bit of time. Its not just slap some cloth and resin on then pull it out when cured. Each layup need the molds cleaning and waxing then PVA applied etc before laying any cloth. So to make a really nice exact replica but in epoxy glass. I would see it being between $15- $20 and about $5 to ship in the USA.

Now if that is acceptable to all I will make the molds. If anyone can post a pic of the real one so I can see if it needs details like rivets, screws or whatever then I'll move ahead and do one. My parts come out of the molds pre-primed and ready to paint. I'm also thinking of making an inner skin that would laminate around the wing saddle to stop canopies coming off due to wing/body flexing etc.
well Sir, HobbyKing could use yr skills most definitely for odd/unavailable spares?? ;-)
Generous offer... Time consuming and deffo skilled work..
Cheers MikeH.
mikehoppett is offline Find More Posts by mikehoppett
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Took the sbach out for a flight today. Flew beautifully as usual. Everything is standard except the servos. I've only got about 6 flights on her. I run it on a turnigy 4s 4000mah 40-50c battery pulls about 65amps

During the flight I was gliding around on 0% throttle and then pushed to 100% very quickly and heard a bit of a clunk sound. I landed the plane and reproduced the same thing on the ground. Which caused the motor to shudder slightly before going to full throttle and a small puff of smoke came out of the motor or esc. The motor was too hot to touch afterwards. I have since put another half battery through on the ground and everything worked flawlessly but again afterwards the motor was too hot to touch.

Maybe I was just too rough on the motor by going from 0 to WOT so quickly but should the motor be that hot? Also now I'm a bit worried about failure during flight after seeing the puff of smoke.
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Dec 2006
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post

I'm in aus and would happily pay $40 delivered and I'd take two and would also happily be the first one to step up
iceaxe is offline Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
841 Posts
ACESIMMER Im In....
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Okay lads. I'll remove mine today and see what is required. I would still like an up front clear nose pic of a real one if possible.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Bushpilotx1: Did the stock screws that came with the plane fit the 6/32 brass inserts?
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Where There's Smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsw001 View Post
Took the sbach out for a flight today. Flew beautifully as usual. Everything is standard except the servos. I've only got about 6 flights on her. I run it on a turnigy 4s 4000mah 40-50c battery pulls about 65amps

During the flight I was gliding around on 0% throttle and then pushed to 100% very quickly and heard a bit of a clunk sound. I landed the plane and reproduced the same thing on the ground. Which caused the motor to shudder slightly before going to full throttle and a small puff of smoke came out of the motor or esc. The motor was too hot to touch afterwards. I have since put another half battery through on the ground and everything worked flawlessly but again afterwards the motor was too hot to touch.

Maybe I was just too rough on the motor by going from 0 to WOT so quickly but should the motor be that hot? Also now I'm a bit worried about failure during flight after seeing the puff of smoke.
...there's bound to be fire...

Any type of unusual electronics behavior is never good. Sometimes there isn't even any indicator to alert the user there could be a problem. Most times it's the ESC timing that's set incorrectly for the motor's KV rating. Could also be the ESC's motor start up programming. It might be set a for soft start, like when flying Heli's. However, these usually don't cause the ESC to emit puffs of smoke though. Just thinking out loud & offering suggestions...

Over the years, I've had ESC's burn up twice while in flight. One time there was just a puff of smoke, & the motor qiut mid-flight. The ESC ended up failing entirely but it worked long enough for me to make an emergency (dead stick) landing. Thought it was the motor but in the end it was the ESC.

Another time the motor acted funny right after launch so I quickly landed the plane. I decided to check the throttle on the ground & as soon as I gave it power the ESC caught fire... Torched the interior & coated the battery bay with black soot. Not a pretty sight & very nerve-wracking dealing with an electronics fire...

Only advice now is to check the bullet connectors & wiring from the ESC to the motor to see if you might have a cold or bad connection somewhere causing an open circuit... Also, you should just replace the ESC altogether before flying her again since it can no longer be considered flight worthy but I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Successful Maiden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Well, got her prepped for flying...again...

All that's left to do now is to head out to the field for some real time flight testing. Can't wait for tomorrow morning...
...finally! After six months of waiting I got her airborne yesterday. Here I was thinking that I lost interest in this ship for some odd reason. I guess I've been very busy with my other planes so I let her sit all this time while I worked on those instead. Well, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it...

Got three great flights in here in So Cal. Surprisingly, I wasn't very nervous about flying the largest foam plane I've got, aside from a 1.8M powered glider that I used to have.

Did a thorough pre-flight, taxied her out onto the runway, lined her up, throttled up & away she went. She didn't lift off as fast as I thought she would but she rose up with authority. First flight was mostly used for trimming. Had a pretty strong roll to the left so it took a fair amount of right trim to correct that. The CG was a bit too far forward for my tastes since it needed up trim to fly level. First landing was uneventful. She will balloon a bit if you're too heavy on the sticks but not as bad as some of the other planes that I have. Did a two-hopper & brought her back to the pits for a fresh Turnigy nano-tech 4S 3300mAh pack. On the second & third flights I shifted the pack back about 1/2" & that little adjustment was all it took to get the CG sorted out. She flew neutral, both normal & inverted. Did I tell you she really likes to be flown inverted?

One thing's for sure, she's a big & heavy plane but she floats around like a much smaller & lighter bird. Super smooth flyer, too. All the motor & prop work paid dividends as the motor did not strain at all no matter what the throttle setting. She's a joy to fly, especially inverted, so stable & yet very light. It almost felt like I've flown this plane before. The guys at the field were commenting that it looked that way to them. Almost felt like I was flying a monoplane version of my Dynam Peaks 42 that I really, really enjoy flying. Rolls were very crisp at mid-rates & she climbs like she's got helium infused in the foam. She snaps much faster than I thought she would & even managed to do a KE spin by accident, though. Still not sure what I did but it was fun to watch... Probably the most memorable part of all the first three flights was the last landing... Brought her in for final, lined her up down the middle of the runway, eased off the throttle, kept a slight nose down angle of attack, leveled her off at about 12" off the deck, cut the throttle while pulling up elevator & she stuck a perfect three point landing with no bounce!!! I was so stoked I yelled out loud & said "stuck that one!" which I've never done before... Couldn't help myself...

This HK Sbach 342 EPO is a great performer. You can fly her around at half throttle taking it easy & then you can pin the throttle & bang the sticks to the corners & she'll really exhibit some very satisfying aerobatics. Mine is basically stock except for using a 14x7E prop & replacing the elevator servo that failed when I first assembled her. I did have other problems with the prop adapter & spinner but that's about it. Using the stock aileron & rudder servos & the stock tail wheel & rudder linkage with no issues to report right now...

Cant' wait to get more & more stick time with this solid ship... Guess I'll need to keep making room for her in the rig since she will be going to the field with me a lot now. Seems that I've found my new favorite plane...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Regards the composite cowl. I removed mine today to size it all up. Due to the way the foam cowl is designed a composite replacement would require three spacers to be glued on the inside lip for attachment. One on either side for the two attachment screws and one at the bottom just to keep it even and firm.

If this is cool with everyone then I'll make them. When I get around to making the composite fuselage and wings then the cowl wood fit perfectly without the need for spacers. So with this said. I would not be wasting my time just doing the cowl ahead of time. Give me a couple of weeks to finish up a couple of other molds that are mostly done.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
841 Posts
Ryanbe, no those are just wood screws, you need just go to Home Depot ot Ace hardware and get you some screws for a buck.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...there's bound to be fire...

Any type of unusual electronics behavior is never good. Sometimes there isn't even any indicator to alert the user there could be a problem. Most times it's the ESC timing that's set incorrectly for the motor's KV rating. Could also be the ESC's motor start up programming. It might be set a for soft start, like when flying Heli's. However, these usually don't cause the ESC to emit puffs of smoke though. Just thinking out loud & offering suggestions...

Over the years, I've had ESC's burn up twice while in flight. One time there was just a puff of smoke, & the motor qiut mid-flight. The ESC ended up failing entirely but it worked long enough for me to make an emergency (dead stick) landing. Thought it was the motor but in the end it was the ESC.

Another time the motor acted funny right after launch so I quickly landed the plane. I decided to check the throttle on the ground & as soon as I gave it power the ESC caught fire... Torched the interior & coated the battery bay with black soot. Not a pretty sight & very nerve-wracking dealing with an electronics fire...

Only advice now is to check the bullet connectors & wiring from the ESC to the motor to see if you might have a cold or bad connection somewhere causing an open circuit... Also, you should just replace the ESC altogether before flying her again since it can no longer be considered flight worthy but I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion...
Thanks for the input. I was actually going to attach an external bec and see how it went but on second thoughts you may be right to just can the esc and get another as its my favourite plane and I would hate to loose it. Think i might get a new motor while I'm at it as I don't like the amount of heat it's producing. Hobbyking suggests the ntm 42-48 650kv so ill probably go with that as it can run 5s too if I wanted to try it. Undecided on the esc though. I was considering this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rnal_UBEC.html

Or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Logging.html
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Used the brass inserts mod. Motor is much more secure. Replaced the failed ESC with a castle 100. Ready to fly tomorrow!
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
841 Posts
Ryasn good to hear , Im glad it worked for you. good luck tomorrow
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts