Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Dec 2006
831 Posts
I used the 20-60 size and didn't use the bracket as it was slightly different but purely because I could make the existing one work would not have been hard to adapt the dubro but was easier to use the stock one
Ill take her out sat morn so can let you know but I like the set up much stronger than stock
iceaxe is offline Find More Posts by iceaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,938 Posts
How many people feel that they would like a cowl? I'm going to be doing a composite version of this and could always knock out the cowl mold in a day. I could use mine for the plug. You can see my T28 cowl that I made here on my build thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1767143&page=6
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
Now were talking ....... Ill take at least 1 or 2 THANKS FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE..........
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
65 Posts
replacing aileron servo

what would be the best way to remove aileron servo for repalcement?
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
upside down and inside out
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
@pasantia: Use pliers and pull on the servo arm. Gentle jolt and they come out. You can always ask your dentist for help...
mrbump is online now Find More Posts by mrbump
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
How many people feel that they would like a cowl? I'm going to be doing a composite version of this and could always knock out the cowl mold in a day. I could use mine for the plug. You can see my T28 cowl that I made here on my build thread.

Ill put my name down for two
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,365 Posts
Quote:

Looks real good! I'm in!

Got 3 more flights in today on the Sbach. Continue to up the aileron throws, and I will start to play with a little mixing.

Rattled the upper foam cover off the landing gear and decided I need to glue the tail feathers (main wings already done).

Very pleased with it so far.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
65 Posts
thank you
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
524 Posts
Slowly But Surely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Can't seem to find an suitable replace anywhere so she's grounded until these hard-to-find & poorly designed parts come back in stock...
...making progress with this bird getting her flight ready again...

Good news is by chance I found a replacement prop adapter that lines up perfectly with motor hole pattern that I had lying around in the hangar...
Bad news is (I think) the spare prop adapter came from the now extinct Exceed Monster Motor series, meaning it's NLA from HobbyPartz...

It has the same hole pattern, the same shaft diameter but the shaft length is a bit shorter & it's not machined (drilled out) to accept the stock spinner cone fixing screw. For now, I'm going to use an aftermarket Great Planes 2-1/2", black plastic spinner that has the aluminum back plate until I can get a 2-3/4" one that HobbyKing has. Also, this new-found adapter spaces out the GP spinner back plate nicely, giving a 2mm - 3mm gap between the spinner & stock cowling at the tightest point. That was just dumb luck but I'll take it...

I had to take the motor & mount off since it started making a loud clicking noise when I spun it around by hand & I could feel the knock. I took it apart, filed down some high spots or "burrs" on the magnets & now the knocking stopped. Checked all the fasteners & thread-locked all the metal to metal connections during reassembly. While the motor was off I did notice that my Sbach has the Topfire 80A ESC installed. Seems it's hit or miss with either a 70A or 80A rating that's in there depending on when or where you purchased this ship...

It was a bear removing the cowling for the first time, though. Not only was it screwed on, it also had a thin bead of glue around it that really didn't want to let go. Thought I was going to either crush it badly or bust that foam into pieces pulling it off. Luckily, I coaxed it off without it sustaining any damage...

Just about got her back together. She's a little more worse for wear as I've been banging her around the hangar a lot lately so she's developed a good case of hangar rash. Hopefully, she'll be airworthy again for this weekend's trip to the flying field. Keep ya posted...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
For those that will find the motor mounting screws loose, the way to fix it, is going to Home Depot and getting some 6/32 brass inserts , 4/40/ may be available. Predrilled with a smaller bit then just screw them into the ply firewall with a little epoxy, be sure to put some vaseline in the interior threads to avoid any problems with epoxy seeping to the interior. This will make a much more solid connection. You can add some EPDM or neoprene washers to lesser the vibration.

This way the motor wont get loose.

Regarding the cowl mounting points you can do the same and just use some small nylon screws, On some occacions I have used a small piece of a hardwood dowel inserted into to the foam with some Gorilla glue. and either use a brass insert or just a screw.

I am planing to change the tail wheel and this is the way I will be attaching the mounting screws to the frame.
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Went to fly today. Did some trimming with a 3s battery while the 4s's charged. Once the 4s's charged, pulled one off and plugged it into the ESC. POOOOOOOF. ESC went up in smoke. Good thing i purchased 2 Cascle 100 amp ESC's when they were on sale.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Last edited by ryanbe15; Dec 08, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Dec 2006
831 Posts
Damn lucky
On the other hand I put the esc out of my first one into my fms corsair which has now had over 100 flights on it
My first sbach had all its electrics replaced with eflite esc motor and savox digital mg servos which I retired after 180 hard flights so I thought I'd test the stock electrics on my second one and so far after 18 hard flights all is perfect which is a surprise
The only additions toy new sbach are 14/7 prop and dubro tail wheel
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbe15 View Post
Went to fly today. Did some trimming with a 3s battery while the 4s's charged. Once the 4s's charged, pulled one off and plugged it into the ESC. POOOOOOOF. ESC went up in smoke. Good thing i purchased 2 Cascle 100 amp ESC's when they were on sale.
Rough luck man!

At least it was on the ground!

How long did you have it plugged in on the bench?
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
524 Posts
Primed & Ready To Go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Hopefully, she'll be airworthy again for this weekend's trip to the flying field. Keep ya posted...
Well, got her prepped for flying...again... Worked the "kinks" out of the motor, got the prop & spinner back on & she's purring like a kitten now!!! What a relief... Thought I was going to have to replace the motor but I don't think so anymore. Gone is that wicked vibration that felt like she was going to shake herself into pieces. No vibration at all throughout the throttle range. Very satisfied & I'm glad I kept after it since it's really paid off in the end...

Got some preflight shots of this long-standing shop fixture of a beast to show the Sbach fans here. She's now setup with a balanced EMP 14x7E prop, some type of aftermarket prop adapter that's all topped off with a Great Planes 2-1/2" spinner. Also did a much needed air cooling mod by tunneling from the front of the foam firewall into the battery bay using my one-of-a-kind, custom-made Rockstar Energy foam tunneling tool...

All that's left to do now is to head out to the field for some real time flight testing. Can't wait for tomorrow morning...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:

HOw much would they run?
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau