HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Good for Nothing Aluminum...

...so why do they even bother to use them?

Checking prop balance on the Sbach a few days ago & ended up shearing the shaft after tightening it back down. Cheap-ass piece of @#$%... The shaft should be made with a larger diameter where the prop goes on since the center of the shaft is drilled & tapped for the ridiculously long spinner cone screw...

Can't seem to find a suitable replacement anywhere so she's grounded until these hard-to-find & poorly designed parts come back in stock...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Mar 01, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:40 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
842 Posts
RCAV8TOR,,, I THINK HEADSUPRC HAS THE SAME MOTOR , MINE CAME IN SO I TOOK SOME PICS AND i AM SENDING THEM UP TO THEM TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SHAFT AND MOTOR ...
bushpilotx1 is online now Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Hoping for the Best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1 View Post
RCAV8TOR,,, I THINK HEADSUPRC HAS THE SAME MOTOR , MINE CAME IN SO I TOOK SOME PICS AND i AM SENDING THEM UP TO THEM TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SHAFT AND MOTOR ...
BP,

Sounds great. Let us know what you come up with...

I've got some spare motors from HURC but the shafts I have for are about .5mm off on the drilling pattern & I even tried enlarging the clearance holes but I still couldn't get the bolts to thread into the motor housing... HobbyKing has the replacement shafts but like most popular items they are on perpetual back order. I would like to find some type of better solution instead of going back with the same inferior part.

I guess the Sbach motor shafts are good for about only one prop nut cinching but be careful not to overtighten them. Seems I forgot about that & it broke off well before I thought the torque I applied would even be considered flight worthy...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,476 Posts
Put the finishing touches on my Sbach.

Did some minor mods,

Added a CC 10 BEC to the stock 70 amp esc.
Dubro low bounce wheels.
Pulled the motor and CA'ed the magnets, lock tight on all set screws ect.
Checked firewall.
Replaced E/R with Towerpro 996 digi mgs (HEAVY).
Replaced ailerons with PowerHD 1705 mgs.
Rare earth magnets for canopy.

Plan on replacing hinges with Robarts. Already did the rudder after I bumped it and snapped one.

Ran it up on Gforce 4s 3300 40c, stock prop, 53 amps 797 watts (at 9600ft) static.
Swapped out to a 14x7, 63 amps 929 watts static, really pulled! Will maiden with this set up.

Looking to maiden in the AM if the weather allows.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Last edited by pullup!; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Dec 2006
864 Posts
Here's another tip I wipe medium ca over the leading edges of the wings and tail as the foam is soft and it helps stiffen things up works great
Have installed my Dubro tail wheel just thought I add a pic Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354701456.908039.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 130.0 KB
Description:
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,476 Posts
Got up and headed for the field this morning, 24 degrees and climbing, wind calm.

Flew 3 3300 40c packs in the Sbach. Flight times were 5 minutes of spirited flight. On final battery was at 14.8v on the nose. After landing and sitting for a few the packs settled at 15.00v.

Got lucky and nailed the CG, inverted flight required just the slightest pressure of down elevator to maintain.

Set up high rates per throws in the manual. Found R/E on H/Rs to be fine, E would try and snap out if you buried it in an aggressive manner. That being said I found for sport style flying the R/E on low rates were just fine and allowed you to throw it around.

Ailerons were a bit lacking on H/Rs, still allowed for nice crisp axial roles but were a little slow for my taste. I'm gradually upping the EPA on them. I am running the aileron differential as stated in the manual.

Took it up high and stall tested it, would just mush forward and drop the nose.

Power was fine for sport/acro. Not the speediest but a good amount of thrust for some impressive vertical climbs. I did mess around with some hovers up high, they kinda worked. Honestly I was having so much fun just flying the thing I didn't focus at all on them. I was having to much fun doing other stuff

Now for the fun stuff, nothing super fancy just exploring the airframe.

Does great hammer heads, rolls, loops, and inverted. Took it up high and tumbled around. Recoveries were just a matter of building up airspeed and flying out. Now one of the funnest things were the knife edge passes, just solid! I don't even think it needs any mixing. The corrections were so small it could have just been the breeze bumping it around. More flights will tell.

Landings were great to. Give yourself a little room, 25% throttle and it settles in for a nice 3 pointer.

The landing gear did require a couple turns of the allen screws, loosened up on my rough runway. I'll keep an eye on them and re-lock tight if needed.

I do recommend upgrading servos and adding a BEC, such a great flying plane it deserves them!

My only complaints are the wind picked up and I'm out of electrons!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Pullup.... Glad to see that you have good taste in radio also. Are you using your SPC port? I always do on all my models. I also have the telemetry pack in my Sbach. 98mph tops in a dive from 600 ft.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Pullup.... Glad to see that you have good taste in radio also. Are you using your SPC port? I always do on all my models. I also have the telemetry pack in my Sbach. 98mph tops in a dive from 600 ft.
I have had the A9 since release, and always use the SPC port. Its a great radio. I need to get a telemetry pack, the new airspeed indicator looks really cool.

98mph!!! That's moving! Got to love 100mph foamies
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
98 was in a steep dive with tailwind. 85-87 is normal flight speed flat out. That was measured from the GPS
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
842 Posts
I received mine yesterday, great packing, no issues, I did proceeded to check out the motor , esc and firewall, I will definetely look at a way of putting some bilnd nuts behind the firewall as the motor mount is just fastened with some small screws and I can tell already they are not tight and one is stripped.
I took pictures of the motor to send to Headsuprc as it seems very similar to one of theirs and as we all know the prop adapter seems to be the weak point. I also ordered a Dubro 2 3/4 spinner as the spinner that comes with it leaves a lot to be desired. The tail wheel will be gone as well and replace witha real tail wheel assembly by Dubro as the one Iceaxe installed.
All together the quality seems ok , I will be adding a BEC as well as changing all the servos , horns and links. I will reinforcing the fuse along the sides at the canopy area as I think this is the weakest point in the plane. Pullups thanks for posting your mods

I am looking for ways to make a spare cowl before this one gets damaged. I have contacted some of the other RCers here that are good with fiberglass work to get some advice.
I did find out which company is making this plane for HK , I contacted them to see about availability of large quantities along with spare parts, the response was that this is a ODM and it is made exclusively for HK... as we know the 1st thing to go will be the cowl , I'll see if I suceed in making a plug without damaging the new cowl..How can we get HK to start carrying spare parts for this plane?
Last edited by bushpilotx1; Dec 05, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
one thing i would look at is the ailerons and how the leading edge of the aileron is centered to the wing. Notice in my attachment how much higher the left was mounted. Both photos are taken with full up on both sides. The left being attached was causing air to get trapped and pushing the left wing down thus a pretty hard roll to the left at speed. Also with the left being higher than the right caused the plane to roll MUCH faster left when doing an aileron roll.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
842 Posts
Ryan thanks for posting your finds..
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
yeah man. The plane is a beast minus the flaw i have in the aileron. Im flying stock (minus replacing the servos). It can tumble with the best of them. I'm actually surprised i haven't ripped the fuselage in two with some of the trick i put it in. The sbach will be my last foam plane as every foam plane i've had has always had something like this.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:03 PM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
842 Posts
Ryan same here next will be a crunchie....
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:36 AM
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
842 Posts
iceaxe what size dubro tail wheel assembly did you get. ?it appears you did not use the bracket provided for the springs that goes on the leading edge of the rudder? What happened was the rudder to thick to use the bracket?
Im between this one and the sullivan.. let me know your thoughts , thanks