HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:12 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Yikes, your cg is so far back. Mine is almost at the 110-105 mark. I hope my batteries dont end up being useless.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Dec 2006
864 Posts
I started with mine nose heavy and then kept moving it further back
iceaxe is offline Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:32 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Well. Completely messed up the maiden. My sbach is now in three pieces. Will epoxy, get a new motor and mount, prop, spinner, nd try again. See you in a couple weeks!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,073 Posts
HalfBach

Hey Guys,
Took the Sbach up for a couple laps this afternoon. Flew great(as always.)
On the third flight upon landing, I came in a little floaty and dropped it onto the grassy strip where I fly. Not a smooth landing, but not a crash by any means. To my amazement, the fuselage separated in half at the leading edge of the wing root. No other damage, almost like there was a seam and it split.
Quick fix with some G.G.
See ya,
Kevin
kmdunnster is online now Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Sep 08, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Dec 2006
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Well. Completely messed up the maiden. My sbach is now in three pieces. Will epoxy, get a new motor and mount, prop, spinner, nd try again. See you in a couple weeks!
What went wrong
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Forgot to set throws. So I had massive elevator throws. It trundled along nicely until it decided to shoot up. I eased up in the elevator, then gently gave it some down elevator. But the throws were too big and the plane decided to slam itself into the ground.

In hindsight, I should have set things lower.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:40 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Battery question

Hi guys.

I plan to buy this plane in the near future but im sick of buying new batteries for every plane I get as I'm sure may of you are too. So I've got a couple of questions about batteries.

Has anyone had much success using 5s batteries. I've read the entire thread and there was some talk of using 5s batteries but not much feedback. I have a few 5s 3000mah batts so if they were able to be used it would be good for me. Even if I had to change out the Esc (which I would assume I would) it would still be much cheaper than buying a couple of 3000-4000mah 4s batteries. However is the motor a too high a kv rating for 5s. Im not really the type of person that wants to limit throttle because it's a 5s and will overheat so if the motor couldn't cope with a new esc and a 5s battery at WOT I'd just bite the bullet and buy 4s batteries.

So if 4s is a must would 2x 2200mah 4s batteries in parallel fit or would they be too wide as traditionally an equivalent 1x 4400mah would be longer rather than as wide as 2x2200's. I ask this cause I have one 2200 4s and could get away with only buying 1 2200mah to begin with.

Thanks guys.
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Dec 2006
864 Posts
Well I did try the stick motor on 5s with an 80 amp Esc and it was a weapon but just felt it was way to much for the airframe I currently run a power 46 eflite motor and have run it in 5s but i feel it's still way to much it is more than capable on 4s but the other option is to get the fms 580 kv motor out if the fw190 or bf 109 as its a straight drop in and run that on 5s as I used this setup for a week before I went to the power 46 And if I was in your shoes with a heap of 5s lipos I would consider swapping to the 580 kv fms motor which is about $40 aus than say going out and buying 4 new 4s lipos
As for running two 2200 there is enough room if you were to go 4s 2p I usually run a 4s 4500 60 c lipo as far back against the wing mount ply plate and have even squeezed a 5000 in there just see what it was like its a right fit but does fit I would consider replacing the servos to much better quality if you go 5s as 9 g aileron servos IMO just aren't up to the force applied to them under hard maneuvers and neither are the cheap rud and ail servos
I replaced mine with mg savox servos but mine has 165 hard flights with a total flight time of 21 hrs 47 min and I would like to think that I get another 100 flights before I retire the airframe as I believe foam airframes have a definite life span
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
I just changed out the aileron servos to Hitec HS81's They work great and require minimal fitting. With the stock servos I could not hold a long knife edge flight. Now I can flip her on her side and boogie across the field nice and level at half throttle. I also dropped a digital in the elevator. Next is to drop an Hitec full size servo on the rudder to complete the upgrade along with low bounce dubro wheels on mains and rear.

I use 4S 3300 sky lipos and have bags of power in the vertical. I was thinking of trying 5S. More power is totally controllable and will give you best performance for hovers etc. FYI.... I have telemetry in mine and the best diving speed was 96 mph. Max current draw in aggressive flights is never over 52 Amp draw. I'm using all stock power system but with additional BEC. Maybe these specs will help some of you make a judgement call on upgrade etc. ESC temp has not exceeded 96 deg F even here in the Nevada desert with temps around 98 deg and 4200 ft altitude. My Sbach is slightly over weight due to telemetry and half a Gi Joe in the cockpit. I also have a spun aluminum spinner.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
For your viewing pleasure, the crash and the wince heard around the world.

Hobbyking Sbach 342 1400mm EPO crash (0 min 8 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
For your viewing pleasure, the crash and the wince heard around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjzKWL-lKQY
Sorry for your loose. Do you know what happened. From the video it looks like the elevator was in the down position just after take off, pushing the nose into the earth.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
100% pilot error. In my impatient rush to maiden the bird, I hadn't set the proper throws and expo, and I've never flown an aerobatic plane before. It took off, rather more steeply than I thought, so I returned the sticks to neutral... then gave it slight down elevator pressure.

Because I hadn't set the proper throws and expo, BAM.

Cut from the video is me laughing when I realized my mistake. Gotta take these things in stride. The breaks were very clean and the bird is in the process of getting glued up and having its servos replaced (aileron servos did not survive the slam).

The breaks were at the landing gear and in the fuse just behind the wing. It seems that due to the large canopy taking away from available fuse material, the fuse is weak at these places. I glued it back with bits of some random square wood stick things for reinforcement.

Motor survived completely intact. The spinner design means that the thin M3 screw used to hold the spinner in place takes the first impact. In this case it took all the impact and transferred almost no force to the motor or the adaptor.

Hope to re-maiden it soon... this time, with the guidance of the experienced pilots at my field =).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
What Goes Up...

Quote:
100% pilot error. In my impatient rush to maiden the bird, I hadn't set the proper throws and expo, and I've never flown an aerobatic plane before. It took off, rather more steeply than I thought, so I returned the sticks to neutral... then gave it slight down elevator pressure.

Because I hadn't set the proper throws and expo, BAM.

Cut from the video is me laughing when I realized my mistake. Gotta take these things in stride. The breaks were very clean and the bird is in the process of getting glued up and having its servos replaced (aileron servos did not survive the slam).

The breaks were at the landing gear and in the fuse just behind the wing. It seems that due to the large canopy taking away from available fuse material, the fuse is weak at these places. I glued it back with bits of some random square wood stick things for reinforcement.

Motor survived completely intact. The spinner design means that the thin M3 screw used to hold the spinner in place takes the first impact. In this case it took all the impact and transferred almost no force to the motor or the adaptor.

Hope to re-maiden it soon... this time, with the guidance of the experienced pilots at my field =).
...must come down...sometimes in pieces...

Too bad you realized that your controls weren't set properly afterwards. Been there & had that happen before. Made the mistake & reversed ailerons on a maiden flight. I couldn't figure out why the plane wouldn't go in the direction I wanted it to no matter how much I pushed on the sticks in the direction I wanted it to go. Needless to say, it was about a 3 second flight with it flipping upside down & ending up in pieces on the runway at the flying field. Hate that walk of shame...

At least with foam, & the fact you crashed on grass, this usually allows you to make the repairs yourself to (try &) get back up in the air again quickly...hopefully, with success from lessons learned...

For aerobatic planes it's best to set everything with minimal deflection for take-off & landing, especially the elevator. It gets even more interesting with a tail-heavy CG so dialing in lots of Expo helps calm things down as well...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:54 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...must come down...sometimes in pieces...

Too bad you realized that your controls weren't set properly afterwards. Been there & had that happen before. Made the mistake & reversed ailerons on a maiden flight.
All too familiar, enhanced by impatience for a maiden because you have a camera person finally available.

Funny how I've recently gotten a few of my friends to start flying, I always tell them, PRE-FLIGHT CHECKS! check your servo directions blah blah blah ... and about a month ago I maiden a taileron F-14 and even did the pre-flight check ... but my brain was too impatient to process the reversed ailerons ... yup about 3 seconds from beautiful take off, to upside down ... BANK RIGHT DAYAM U!!!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
crack Spain
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined Jun 2012
178 Posts
what motor I can buy¿?
more power (little) and efficiency (this is most important)
clevis are 3mm?
joselu is offline Find More Posts by joselu
Last edited by joselu; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:54 PM.