HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Help!
Few newbie's question on flying wings?

first of all, sorry for bad english, only learned it for 3 years..

I've been flying a slow home-made formie for few months, and decided to have something more exciting. so i bought this wing from somewhere in china, for like 20 bucks. and the quality was relatively pretty..um.. bad, but can't complain for such price instruction was so brief that it took only one A7 page-and half was in Chinese. so i really couldn't get much help out of it.

--------------
first of all, i got a problem with the motor. on the instruction it simply says "Glue plywood motor mount and fix motor"
but how?(picture)
Name: DSCN1834.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 144.5 KB
Description:
i'm not an expert on glues and chemicals, so everything i have is some super glue that you can get 5 tubes of them for 2 dollars, a box of two-pack eproxy and some probably acetate based yellowish "foam glue" from HK.
and i really doubt that just a layer of glue will keep the metal motor and plywood base sticking together after minutes of vibration from flying and possibly occasional crashing.. please point it out if i am wrong

Name: DSCN1835.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 97.9 KB
Description:
I was also thinking about drilling some screws in to fix it 'nicely'. but reality proved me wrong: the size just doesn't look right to me..

--------------
second, i wonder if wings also need to set up the "thrust line" which is pretty important for models with a fuselage? and no my user manual did not mention a word about that

--------------
and last question, there is a humongous logo on the wing. since i dont want to fly a advertising banner in the field, i'm in urge of getting rid of it. but cuz it is durable EPP, therefore i dont think there is a way to polish it like what i would do on glassfiber surface
Name: DSCN1836.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 197.3 KB
Description:
it feels like some water-based paint. is there a way to remove it chemically?. if not, i'll just cover it up with duct tape

--------------

Thanks ALOT !! These questions kept me back for at least a week from finishing the model..
victor.. is offline Find More Posts by victor..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,778 Posts
just glue the foam block onto the wing then epoxy the plywood plate onto that foam block then screw your motor on .. 2 screws will hold that motor on just fine if you want you can put a couple of puddles of epoxy under the other 2 motor mount holes once it cures run a couple screws in the epoxy ... now that i look at it.. it seems you could turn the mount and get all 4 screws if you want instead of putting it on the wing like + put it on like x

as for vibration.... there really shouldnt be any... you should be balancing your props to stop that along with no vibration it will also be more efficient and youll get a few more rpm vs an unbalanced prop

the thrust line on that wing "from the looks of it" should be neutral its like the ms composit wings

as for removing the logo... uhh paint a lil white WB paint over it? or a bit of spray adhesive and a decal maybe.. idk most modellers are proud of the brand they purchased and leave it alone

Good Luck
Tim
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Don't try to take the name off or you will be stuck with a big red blur spot.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored21 View Post
just glue the foam block onto the wing then epoxy the plywood plate onto that foam block then screw your motor on .. 2 screws will hold that motor on just fine if you want you can put a couple of puddles of epoxy under the other 2 motor mount holes once it cures run a couple screws in the epoxy ... now that i look at it.. it seems you could turn the mount and get all 4 screws if you want instead of putting it on the wing like + put it on like x

as for vibration.... there really shouldnt be any... you should be balancing your props to stop that along with no vibration it will also be more efficient and youll get a few more rpm vs an unbalanced prop

the thrust line on that wing "from the looks of it" should be neutral its like the ms composit wings

as for removing the logo... uhh paint a lil white WB paint over it? or a bit of spray adhesive and a decal maybe.. idk most modellers are proud of the brand they purchased and leave it alone

Good Luck
Tim
Thanks Tim, I thought about putting the mount in "X" position but seemed it didnt work: all holes were like on the edge of the tiny plywood board. but you inspired me for such idea:

Name: Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 54.4 KB
Description:

I'll try to make one branch of motor mount stay diagonally to the plywood and hopefully that would make the whole structure stronger, and make the other two holes stay out.
slso thinking about stick two of those .. um ..forget it's name, plastic expansion scerws? and fix the other two holes like that.
Name: DSCN1837.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 141.3 KB
Description:

thanks a looooot for the vibration thing, i thought all props come in perfect condition and vibration comes from air current. never knew that we can trim the prop before

and thanks Lammergier, i might done that if you didnt say so
victor.. is offline Find More Posts by victor..
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
you won't need the long screws really, since it's a pusher prop, the prop will push the motor into the plane instead of pulling like a puller prop. the mount angle will work just fine too, just try to make the thrust line straight and you'll be fine.
lavellr is offline Find More Posts by lavellr