HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
Discussion
Non AR Drone Batteries on AR Drone charger?

Hi!

I have an AR Drone, and want some more batteries. I saw flitetests' video, but I need to know if a 1300 mah turnigy pack will charge through the balance cord ion the AR Drone 1000 mah charger?

Thanks
nuketown is offline Find More Posts by nuketown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,758 Posts
We are too old and too lazy to look up all of your items. Post pictures of your charger and the battery you want to buy. We actually know that pack but give us all info up front and you will get a more accurate response.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
Left AR Drone Charger
Middle AR Drone Battery
Right 1300 Turnigy Battery

The AR Drone charger uses the JST balance plug to charge the AR Drone battery - I presume it will charge a turnigy pack with its JST?
nuketown is offline Find More Posts by nuketown
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,758 Posts
nuke, thanks for the pics. You assume correctly, it will charge it just fine. You will need to change your discharge connector to what will be your standard from now on. The one on the Drone battery is not a very good connector over a long period of time.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
I am using that exact same pack from HK on my AR Drone as well. I use EC3 connectors on all of my packs, so I built an adapter from the "AR" connector to EC3 and put EC3 connector on the AR Battery. I use this adapter so no "mods" were necessary to the Drone itself (thus keeping my warranty intact as Parrot frowns on using aftermarket batteries). I will post pics of the Batteries and adapter if I can figure out how as I have never posted any before.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Here are the pics of my AR adapter and batteries both stock and Turnigy. I just cut the stock plug off of the battery and soldered on EC3's. Be very careful when cutting the stock plug off as the wire isn't very long and you will only get one chance. Plus I'm sure you already know but do not cut both battery wires at the same time, things will get exciting quickly!
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Last edited by PlaneCraz3d; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Adding a thought.