HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Lake Country.British Columbia,Canada
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Sorry, innventor man, I did not see your post before posting the kite aquisition, but just cause I got a committment to get to right now and must be brief, I gave consideration to much of what you point out in the last post. The servo's in particular I spared no expense on and more than that I really believe in them on 6v, they're just crazy..........

I had been dealing on the kite since last night, and in absense of any further comments, closed on it moments ago..........for a great price.

I'll be back here later this afternoon........................cheers til then
canada_jim is offline Find More Posts by canada_jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
I added more to my post Might want to re read it all

Would like to see the specs on the wing when you have time !
AWESOME ! on the wing
And if you feel good about the engine Thats all thats required .
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; Jan 15, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Inventing man,

I have re-read post 14, thank-you once again there is some great stuff in there. I will be employing your methodology to verify the fuctionality of the chosen components.

Do you think that one of the type of harnesses that a construction worker would use on a saftey lanyard, would work on the kite testing? I could obtain one of those from the rental place.

I've had some correspondance with the kite seller now, and he writes;

I like that great idea .... I had been rope flying with this kite before It has a lot of power .... We would hook a single line of spectra about 400 feet worth and fasten it to the kite and harness and fly from mid line ... with 400 feet of line you get about 75 to 100 feet of the ground. but your tethered. Like a parasail ...
As I have been a kite flyer for about 35 years . used to build large deltas ... .
I have a large Cabrina inflatable that is 23 m I want to fix to a catamaran.. for a while there I was into the biggest kites I could find .... There is the rear Brake lines in the bag with that B10 .. with the right rigging it will help the steering
I will have to keep up on your progress

Good luck with that project

He also linked me to some specs here; http://www.kite-surf.com/windspeeds/...eds_Company=21
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Is this kite an inflatable kite for kite surfing? Or ram air?

Yes a construction harness with D rings on the belt line would work fine .
If you can locate a paraglider pilot in your area He might be willing to help out . His knowledge would be VERY ! helpful to you , not to mention the harness !
In the application of static line flying the seller gave you, The wing is still in the power zone for max pull . For trike flying the Wing will be overhead using airfoil lift only. Big difference , So it will be real interisting to see just how much lift you get in 20 to 30 mph winds with the wing over head .
Keep us posted ! and be safe .
Last edited by inventing_man; Jan 15, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
this kite is a ram-air type of kite, that has fallen out of favor with the kiteboarding crowd due to the introduction of the inflatable style. This has caused significant depretiation in foil type kite pricing.

I have a tendancy to think in metric, and just realized your expecting me to fly this thing in some pretty significant wind (mph not kph). Yep, I think I will have to call the paraglide center and request some help with that one!

I will be sure to keep everyone posted with progress update here.........stay tuned.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Quote:
your expecting me to fly this thing in some pretty significant wind (mph not kph).
Yeah sorry I'm still old school. MPH Pounds , inches feet . Its what I grew up with and feel comfortable with in relaying information thats semi accurate.

Uhhh NO! LOL! dont just jump in 30 MPH winds stone cold with any kite over 2 meters . Learn the kite in mild conditions first, get comfortable with it and then step up the wind speed . A 10 meter wing can be a real fight to the finish in 30 mph winds ! even deadly !

Something That needs looked at is the bridal spread where the long lines connect with the wing making the proper manufactured flying arc shape. This arc shape is made when the long kite lines are at their required length so the bridals can spread. .
If this bridal spread is to close togather by hooking the bridals to a harness, the geometry of the arc will be affected ( too bowed) and may cause unwanted side effects . It might be a good idea right off the bat to know what this measurement is in normal flight use with the recomended line length , there are work arounds if its too wide for the harness, and you will need to know this measurement to properly hook the wing to your trike.
Will be standing by
Last edited by inventing_man; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
So more info from the kite vender;

the kite is 550 CM x 217 CM
just uder 6 meter x little over 2 meter that is flat on the ground i am sure it will shrink a bit when inflated
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Okay, fixed my ability to post...........................so here is the kite inflated.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Ok, got some boxes in the mail today.....................one was the kite. Here are some additional pics............
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Also the exhaust.................................
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Also with the kite were the advertised brake lines, 9 line with letters on them and two longer lines with heavier black line ends as attachment points I believe.

On the kite there are tieing points along the trailing edge, eight in total, four per side....................

Today I also recieved a 5 d ring safety harness, bought as military surplus................theoretically I could fly this kite today, but the thought scares me s@^*&ess.........

The guy I bought this from straps on it in the Atlantic ocean off Florida, and goes whoo hoo,........ bigger balls than I'll ever have...........can't even imagine.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:46 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Baby steps , Light winds first to get to know it . Or if your still leary , using the D rings, tie off to your car or other non movable object so the pull goes directly from the kite to the non movable object, keep the stress off of your arms and body and enjoy the power of the wind ! Once you get to know this wing It will be a lot of fun . Hook In!
I dont know if releasing the brakes will kill this one or not ( known as kite killers)
You will just have to try it and see . But cramming the brakes down as far as you can pull them, should kill it anyway . Make sure you get some Vids ! heres me and my Ozone vibe 28 meter
Name: PG 036.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 28.8 KB
Description: Name: PG 0.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 33.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by inventing_man; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Inventing Man, your kite looks pretty cool. Have you flown it?

So yesterday I was driving by the lake near my house and what looked like a kiteboarding lesson was happening. I whipped home and grabbed my kite, and headed back to the lake. I approached the instructor to evaluate, and help me maybe get a start, flying the kite.

The instructor really liked the kite overall, but noted it lacked some basic safety functions found in the modern set-up. My kite is two line right now, so if you got into trouble, bailout would be difficult and would require disconnection. This location right beside a highway would not be a great place to disconnect. It was his recommendation that I not try to fly this kite, at this location in the current configuration.

That being said the instructor was gracious enough to fly the kite for me, to observe and record some of its attributes. The video can be found here;
kiteflight.mpg (6 min 40 sec)

The winds were light and the blue kite guy was going for his first ride. The flight of mine was cut short because the instructor had to go to the other side of the lake to teach blue kite dude how to make a turn to come back to the start point.

As far as the thing we talked about observing Inventing man, the bridal spread seemed quite wide, in the 6' range. The kite seemed to rise right into the straight up position, with little effort, and the instructor was pretty happy with it up there. You can hear him talk about it in the video, he refers to this orientation as the zeineth position.

Based on these observations I'm considering sending this kite to a Canadian company that specializes in paraglider repairs, to posibly have it re-strung with a tighter bridal spread, and a two brake line brake installation and set-up. I'm going to contact them for pricing this week.

I was sure impressed with the look of this kite in the air, it's a beaut........(canadianism).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Good Vid Jim ! Thanks for posting . Yeah, no kite killers , But with brakes installed It will come right down no problem . Zeineth position is correct, We call it simply overhead in the PG world.
Yes I have flown the Ozone I have in short glides of maybe 5 foot off the ground . I bought it used for ground handling practice, Not to fly with ,
as I dont want to ruin a new wing in the trials of learning to master wing control . So this one is "expendable" I'm saving up for a new one .
Wider riser spreads will help prevent riser twists , so I would say dont have it re-lined with the risers any closer than 2 feet apart .
Man! it would sure be nice to see in detail how they would go about re-lining it .
The wind is good today and its warming up nicely mid 50's , Think I'm going to go kite some today !
Last edited by inventing_man; Jan 29, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Dec 2008
60 Posts
I've have an Ozone Flow 3m kite that I want to make work for PPG. I've read tidbits here and there about modifying a traction kite for PPG but I haven't seen any hard core data or tutorials on how to go about it.

From what I've read a flatter arc is more stable, also adjusting the AOA. Granted I don't know how to go about it.

I/m looking for ideas??? anybody??
GradGuy is offline Find More Posts by GradGuy