HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 06, 2003, 11:04 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
The Houston Hawk Project

The Houston Hawks are involved in a member project called the Houston Hawk. This is a 126" span RES ship designed around a Condor fuselage. It is available to members as a set of CAD plans, a joiner, a rib and web set, and instructions with material list. Members can make an appointment with Don Cleveland to layup their own fuselage/canopy. I will be hosting several builders sessions at my house to help everyone get off to a good start. Roland Beach will be hosting a covering session.

We are doing this to teach proper building techniques to beginners, and to help foster those with some experience to new levels. Some have heard this news and asked me to post our progress here, so here goes. The picture shows the plan, the wing kit, and the fuselage and joiner displayed in my office...er ah...workshop...And yes, mine will be a Red-Tailed Hawk!

Enjoy,

Jack Womack
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:19 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Hawk stuff

One Hawk to another

Jack, which Condor fuse are you using? I have/use the Fazer/Prism, Condor (Sleger's) mold, and it is for a 112" wing as a Obechi & foam wing & stabs. It also has a nosecone . I also have the Skyhawk molds for two different airfoils, and it is larger and has a canopy. I have a friend who fly's the Skyhawk fuse in RES with built up wings, 120" . Just curious Bill G.
I guess now that you're building the "Hawk", you will be discarding the BOT. Hint !!
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Hi Bill,

Just back from TNT, where the BoT was a real crowd pleaser. We are using the larger fuse with the canopy. It is about 1" longer than the Fazer fuse. It is up for sale soon, but a Hawks member wants to give me big dollars for it with no radio gear....

JW
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:33 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schrederman
Hi Bill,

Just back from TNT, where the BoT was a real crowd pleaser. We are using the larger fuse with the canopy. It is about 1" longer than the Fazer fuse. It is up for sale soon, but a Hawks member wants to give me big dollars for it with no radio gear....

JW
I know which fuse you mean now. Hey, if you can get big bucks, go for it. I'm anxious to see the "Hawk", what airfoil did you choose for it?
One of these days, I must make a trip for one of your contests.
Bill G.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:42 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Hi Bill,

We used the S3021 airfoil for the club project. Being a rather docile airfoil with decent performance, and flat bottomed for new-builder simplicity made it a good choice. Don Cleveland is considering kitting the model shortly and we will change the airfoil to something with a bit more pizzaz at that time. I'm building the first wing parts this week so it'll get posted here in the next couple of weeks. I'll be posting these on the balsasailplanes site as well.

Jack
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:48 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schrederman
Hi Bill,

We used the S3021 airfoil for the club project. (snip) I'm building the first wing parts this week so it'll get posted here in the next couple of weeks. I'll be posting these on the balsasailplanes site as well.

Jack
Thanks Jack, I'll look forward to watching your project unfold. Bill
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:48 PM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
I saw Master Roddy's Hawk fuse up close and personal today. I was impressed of the quality. This is going to be a fine plane for the Hawk's club. I am just waiting for mine to be finished, hurry up Dick! hehe
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:32 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Spar Joiner Box

The spar caps are in place between the plywood box webs. The spacer is a shear web for this section of wing. Note the rounded corners for wrapping with tow.

Jack Womack
Old Oct 16, 2003, 04:05 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,526 Posts
Any chance of letting the rest of us in on this project info? The Hawks web page seems to be down or the links I'm coming up with aren't working any longer.

A little drawing would be nice. A link to download the plans would be even nicer.... pretty please?
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 16, 2003, 07:28 AM
Upper Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
I second BMatthews' request. I've been a wood butcher for 30+ years but I've never used composites to build a wing. I'd love to get in on the club project myself but I think the commute from Michigan would get old after a while...

How 'bout it Jack, some step-by-step info and photos, so we in the boonies can tap into your vast talents? (How's that for sucking up?)

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline Find More Posts by kingbee
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:46 AM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
website works fine for me...
http://www.houstonhawks.org/http://www.houstonhawks.org/
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz
Old Oct 16, 2003, 02:37 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,526 Posts
Thanks bwaltz (is that Buzz Waltz?) I did a try with google using Houston Hawks and got anywhere BUT this homepage.

I LIKE this model ! ! ! I think you guys may be onto a wider audience and "extended club" than you realize. Can't talk now.... Got'ta go look and drool more....
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:10 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Web Site - Project

Let me apologize for the web site not working as it should. We are experiencing some growing pains here in Houston. That's OK as most of us feel there should be 70 to 100 flyers in an area this size.

The Hawk is really just a club project for now, intended to teach neophyte builders some skills. I want to gain as much interest as possible for the Hawks, and I certainly appreciate the interest ... and the sucking up ... ...

We are working with a new webmaster, cadre of officers, and so forth, and the cooperation has been much greater than I had hoped. The website is very good and will have the search engines pointed that direction soon. The site will have very detailed picture and text instructions as I go through building the first Hawk. Remember this was started as a teaching project for Hawks members. Don Cleveland intends to kit this model in the near future...something else to think about. I am too busy with work, this project, and running the Hawks to start shipping plan sets, and I apologize for that, but it just can't be helped at this point.

I will be holding the first building session at my house weekend after next. Next weekend would be good except Delores' birthday is the 24th and I will be spending that weekend with her, entirely. She certainly puts up with loads from me...

Thanks again for your interest in our project and our club.

Jack Womack
President,
Houston Hawks

Old Oct 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
Oops!

When checking work against work, first be sure of the standard. I checked the rib set today and got an unpleasant surprize. The ribs for the tapered outboard panels matched the ribs on the plan exactly, when I checked them over a week ago. The problem lay in the file that the ribs on the plan came from since I copied them to Laserarts. They duplicated them perfectly, not their fault!

A couple of hours of frustrated headscratching and I had duplicated the ribs again, but also most of the problem. Another drafting session, and a correct set of templates, this time plotted and checked and right on the money. A pleading email to Laserart's Dave Meyers and a check made out and in the mail, and all is well, once again. All the new rib sets will be in order. There won't be any more problems......right?

Real men (and women) scratch build.......

Jack Womack
Reluctant President of the Houston Hawks......
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:46 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,820 Posts
This HAS to be cheating!

I worked 1 hour this evening and the result is excellent. The model falls together. I laminated and notched my trailing edge, tapered the spars, and built this much wing in 1 hour. This is going to be a good project for our first time builders, because it will be something they CAN achieve and compete with. We're about to start feeling like we're accomplishing our goal. First building session for the club is the weekend of Nov. 1. Anyone in the Houston area is welcome. Respond off-board if not a Hawks member and wanting to come.

Jack Womack
Closed Thread