HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Davy101, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Sold
Sterling USS Missouri kit, unbuilt, in excellent condition, with rare fitting kit

I have an original unbuilt Sterling Models U.S.S. Missouri kit in 1/196th scale. As far as I know it is complete, and includes the Sterling issued extra fittings kit, number B 17-F. The model box is in good shape considering its age though one corner of the bottom box has separated as well as both bottom sides. There is also a little bit of tape discoloration on the outer box and you can see where the tape was pulled off on the back. None of this affects the actual contents though. All the balsa and darker wood sheets are there (unpunched) and the various bags with the stern, 5" Mk 38s, portholes, chain, etc are present. Somewhere along the line someone unfortunately cut a flag out of the flag sheet. Please see the pictures and feel free to email me for closeups or other angles if you need. New lower price: I am asking $400 plus actual insured shipping. Paypal ok and USPS Money Orders accepted. Email works best.

cjkennTHREEZERO 'at' gmail.com

replace THREZERO with 30

Thanks,
Chris
Davy101 is online now Find More Posts by Davy101
Last edited by Davy101; Jan 19, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Another deal lost because of the Pay Pal plus fees. Oh well I will keep looking.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Hmmmm

I did offer the buyer the option of a money order... or paypal gift with no fees.
Last edited by Davy101; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Oct 2011
121 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
never send money as a gift, you will be out of luck if the deal goes bad
mrpeveler is offline Find More Posts by mrpeveler
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for the information. I hadn't considered that as so far, knock on wood, I've been lucky as a buyer using the gift option. If it is a bone of contention I'll eat the PP fee.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Trader Rating: 284
PayPal gift?....and he just joined yesterday???...............hmm?????
stevster is online now Find More Posts by stevster
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
I side with Gravman. I have bought and sold on this forum and some others and never discussed the issue of PayPal fees. Everyone gives PayPal a bad rap. PayPal deserves the transaction fee from the seller. What you are getting is buyer and seller guarantee if the deal goes bad. How many sellers are willing to refund and take the item back. Do you want to wait for a money order or check. I only go that way as a seller if the buyer has impeccable credentials. PayPal is the best way to transact business for folks like us who do not do this for a business. The PayPal fee is so insignificant compared to the price that one is getting for the item that it is not worth asking. In fact, it is an insult. You should read the forum thread on PayPal fees and see what other hobbyists are saying.

Respectifully,

IR3
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Last edited by ir3; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Deleted some text
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,139 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
It seems funny to me how some people have a knee jerk reaction to a seller asking for the Paypal fees.

The way I see it a seller wants X amount of money for his item. Any shipping costs are to be extra, and that should also include any transaction fees because otherwise the seller ends up not getting what he actually was selling for.

A way around it, and it seems to avoid the knee jerks happening, is to price your item with the 3.5% factored in. In the case of this Sterling kit the seller would have asked for $517.50 and that would have covered the Paypal fees minus 61 cents that gets added to the fee itself.

But I tend to agree with ir3 that using Paypal is a major convenience and it costs to keep Paypal running and staying in business so if I sell something I normally eat the PP fees myself and just consider it part of doing a transaction.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Eternal Child
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Sep 2009
37 Posts
Trader Rating: 284
My two cents: I do a lot of successful marketing here on RCG, and in my opinion..........most of us buyers are impusive. We just want to know, NOW......how much, out the door. You give someone too much time to think & feel their getting gouged for a little more (PayPal & shipping fees).....and the'll do what their conscience tells them.......which is, you don't REALLY NEED this! That of course is, unless it's a killer deal, which I'll leave that up to the individual, if they think that it is. Just sell your item for WHAT YOU WANT TO GET FOR IT. If you're way off base, you will know it, by your item sitting on here for a couple of days, with no responce.
stevster is online now Find More Posts by stevster
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Wow, I just joined yesterday (it's true) and this was my first post. I never imagined my sale would get so many replies having nothing to do with the original topic. My asking for the PP fee doesn't represent a hard and fast world view on how private internet transactions should be conducted. It is merely how I have always done business on eBay, AR15.com, XCRforum.com, etc. Some people don't quibble over $17.50, some here apparently do. That being the case, I have offered to forgive the fee. As for trustworthiness and my late arrival I completely understand. My ID on eBay is cjcrock and I have a modest number (127ish) of positive feedback. I have carted this model kit around with me (I am military) for years and finally decided to try to sell it. I did a google search for the value of a Sterling Big Mo and links for 'RC Groups' were by far the highest results. If someone in the Leavenworth Kansas area wants to confirm its reality I would be happy to oblige. I will be here until June when my Command and General Staff College class (ILE) graduates.

Any offers? Next stop will be eBay I guess.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
443 Posts
Trader Rating: 135
there was one on ebay a while back that started at $350 and got no bids.
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,813 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Moe kit

HELLO Davy HEY ON that moe kit Just wanted to let you know it is not a 196 scale Sorry
. Unless one of thoes came that look like that kit I realy dont think so .
if it was a 196 let me tell it would be much larger then what your showing. ;-) I have seen a few in my time they are big and wide but look good . The 196 is about 10 ft or longer .
OK that kit is an very old kit by stearling has been out of productoin for many years.
IT is a good kit and fun.I just hope the wood is ok .

OK that kit in scale is a 1.200 or or 1.92 scale .
I did mind as the USS Wisconsion BB 64 with working goodys .If i was looking for another one I would concider it .But one is enough for me. Dont have any more room in the shop.

OK KEEP Up the good work with uncle Sam and I do wish you the best for the future.
Thank you for for your time .
DON The rustbucket.
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
New lower price!

How does $400 plus shipping sound? No fees for PP.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Nebraska
Joined Jan 2009
0 Posts
Interested

Am very interested. Sent you a message.
Thanx
ojohnsten is offline Find More Posts by ojohnsten
Last edited by ojohnsten; Feb 24, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:28 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Is the kit still for sale?
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Closed Thread