HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Pretty impressed with my Flame Wheel 450 / DJI Naza

So I finally got my Flame Wheel 450 flying again after the great crash of 2012 (which shattered all 4 arms of the frame). I gotta say, I really am impressed with the way this thing flies, especially for the power it has.

Today, I flew around with a GoPro, a 1.2ghz transmitter, and a 6000mAh 3S battery (it's HUGE). The FlameWheel handled it like it was nothing.

I really thought that massive battery would cause big problems.

Loving this setup.
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Latvia
Joined Oct 2006
312 Posts
What is the flight time?
Guntars is offline Find More Posts by Guntars
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:06 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I really love the look of the frame and how sturdy it feels. Vibrations travel through it easily though, so you need to dampen the cameras you put on it. But then again, I guess that's par for the course. I'm gonna put my frame to the test later, I already have a bunch of extra things on it. (Extra 1000mah 3S battery for the camera and video Tx, lots of wires etc.)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntars View Post
What is the flight time?
17 minutes, under full load. Full load is the following:

- 6,000mAh 3S battery
- 1500mw 1.2ghz Transmitter
- GoPro 2
- LED Strip lights on front and back
- DJI Naza

That's a lot of power being sucked into the battery, and a lot of weight. It flies like it's on rails, even when loaded down like this. Love it.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Here's a photo.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
The noodle mod seems popular!
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
The noodle mod seems popular!
I got the idea here... I really like it! Not only does it make good landing gear, but it really increases the visibility so you can see the orientation better when it's zooming around.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:15 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
What props are you using, Brian?

Also, it appears you have the GoPro mounted to the bottom plate. Are you getting any waviness in the captured video?

Thanks.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner View Post

Also, it appears you have the GoPro mounted to the bottom plate. Are you getting any waviness in the captured video?

Thanks.

Jack
If I may, this here was recorded with a GoPro on the bottom plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqylcjOEDY

I simply velcroed it to the bottom plate and then used a Turnigy battery strap to hold it in place. The two layers of velcro + the strap seems to dampen the camera a bit. I saw no vibrations in the footage even at full resolution.

However, I forgot to the bring the battery strap with me the next time I flew so I put it on the velcro and then used zipties to keep it in place. This was a much stiffer setup and I saw lots of vibrations in the footage.

So, the tab works, but you need to put the camera on something soft and make sure it has some wiggle room. Mind you, this is a naked GoPro camera so a bad crash or water landing would ruin it.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
If I may, this here was recorded with a GoPro on the bottom plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqylcjOEDY

I simply velcroed it to the bottom plate and then used a Turnigy battery strap to hold it in place. The two layers of velcro + the strap seems to dampen the camera a bit. I saw no vibrations in the footage even at full resolution.

However, I forgot to the bring the battery strap with me the next time I flew so I put it on the velcro and then used zipties to keep it in place. This was a much stiffer setup and I saw lots of vibrations in the footage.

So, the tab works, but you need to put the camera on something soft and make sure it has some wiggle room. Mind you, this is a naked GoPro camera so a bad crash or water landing would ruin it.
With a GoPro the low light masks the jello. I took the same setup and shot video on a cloudy but still semi-bright day and no jello. I used the same setp on a bright sunny day and there was jello.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner View Post

Thanks.

Jack
I'm using the APC 10x4.7 props. I had to drill them out, and I made no effort to balance them whatsoever. And yes, the captured video is LOADED with jello. See results here:

Extra 300 Almost Hits Flame Wheel 450 (0 min 14 sec)
Last edited by brianshell; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
With a GoPro the low light masks the jello. I took the same setup and shot video on a cloudy but still semi-bright day and no jello. I used the same setp on a bright sunny day and there was jello.
Still, I saw almost no jello in the full resolution clip, but in the one where I ziptied the camera to the frame I saw lots and lots of jello. Now, if the jello doesn't show up in the finished video for whatever reason, then I guess everything is just fine and dandy. :P I'll have a look at the uncompressed clips again just to be sure.