HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2004
1,007 Posts
Cool
GWS Tiger Moth 400 on floats! (vid)

Here's a video of my TM 400's first amphibious adventure, taken last Sunday evening in perfect 65 degree North Carolina weather.

http://youtu.be/rVBbbCrIovk?hd=1
spencer6891 is offline Find More Posts by spencer6891
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Spencer,

A nice video and float TM400, you might be interested in reading this thread though friends over there were talking about the float E-starter. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527252

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Looks great Spencer. My TM400 is getting a little long in the tooth but still a great flyer and easy to toss in the trunk. You might want to add a ventral fin on the tail so the tail doesn't "sag" as much when you roll/turn. I just toothpicked mine to the plane so it can be removed again if I want to convert back to wheels.

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2004
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the tip, warhead. I actually need to add a water rudder as well. The plane is pretty much unsteerable without it.

Your moth looks GREAT! I'd love to do flying wires on my next one.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I don't use a water rudder to taxi. You just need to learn to "blip" the throttle in short blasts to push air over the rudder. By doing short blasts, it will turn the plane without much forward movement, so you can turn it really tightly, even in crosswinds. Once you get turned in the right direction, throttle up quickly to get on step and you should have plenty of air on the rudder for steering. It's sort of like starting a "stick" car in 2nd gear... you have to slip the clutch a little to get the car rolling before you can fully drop it into gear.

RE: "I'd love to do flying wires on my next one. "

Go to Micheal's and get the silver elastic stringing (for beaded necklaces)... it looks just the part and comes in silver, gold, or black). My TM has lasted me 2 years and barring mechanical failure (knock on wood) it should last me a couple more... it's just so easy and relaxing to fly that I doubt I'll need a replacement soon. I only wish they'd start making them from EPO.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Jan 12, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
TM400 EPO kit is available at http://www.caliberhobby.com/EPO_kits.html
Probably you could find it out from other sources, too.

EPO foam is tougher but heavier than the EPS one. Some flyers hate to have the extra weight on it.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2004
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I don't use a water rudder to taxi. You just need to learn to "blip" the throttle in short blasts to push air over the rudder. By doing short blasts, it will turn the plane without much forward movement, so you can turn it really tightly, even in crosswinds. Once you get turned in the right direction, throttle up quickly to get on step and you should have plenty of air on the rudder for steering. It's sort of like starting a "stick" car in 2nd gear... you have to slip the clutch a little to get the car rolling before you can fully drop it into gear.

RE: "I'd love to do flying wires on my next one. "

Go to Micheal's and get the silver elastic stringing (for beaded necklaces)... it looks just the part and comes in silver, gold, or black). My TM has lasted me 2 years and barring mechanical failure (knock on wood) it should last me a couple more... it's just so easy and relaxing to fly that I doubt I'll need a replacement soon. I only wish they'd start making them from EPO.
Wow, thanks for all the advice. Curious, is your moth EPS or the EPO version? It looks smoother than mine. I'm debating whether to fiberglass my next one (EPS) or go to EPO for a smoother finish less prone to hangar rash.