HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Actually it just started right about the time I tried the 10s run with it. This past Sunday was only 9s though.
I don't think its a signal problem , you would have had it right from the first run its only the bottom half of hull in carbon , also if the boat stopped it would not respond till it came closer to the transmitter .

do you have it on auto cell count ?? whats it set at ?
does every thing look hot when you get back to shore ? poss thermal cut off

when the boat cuts out its not long before it restarts only thing that can recover that fast is volts = looks like low volt cut off to me
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
I downloaded the data log a little while ago and nothing really stands out as a culprit. LVC was set at 3.3 per cell or 29.7 volts for 9s. Voltage never fell below 31.5
I had current limiting set at 225 amps. Max amps logged was 193.
Max temp logged was 163 which is pretty much nothing when you consider it reads right from the FET board.

This Falcon is one of the "full" carbon kevlar hulls. Promise also offers them with the c/k bottom only. I know this one has the same fabric on the top half by the color of the shavings when I drilled it for an antenna tube a few minutes ago.

I have, in the past, had intermittent glitches in planes where the RX was in close proximity to the esc and motor. (some proved fatal for the airframes) I'll give the esc the benefit of at least moving the RX away from it and trying it again since it's really not that big a hassle to relocate.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
Despite it not happening from the beginning, I would suspect the carbon is shielding the antenna too much. It might also have something to do with the motor switching frequency on the higher voltage packs (more rpm = switching at a higher frequency), if it's a 4 pole motor at 36k rpm you're switching at the same frequency as 2.4ghz systems (144000 cycles per second).
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Despite it not happening from the beginning, I would suspect the carbon is shielding the antenna too much. It might also have something to do with the motor switching frequency on the higher voltage packs (more rpm = switching at a higher frequency), if it's a 4 pole motor at 36k rpm you're switching at the same frequency as 2.4ghz systems (144000 cycles per second).
It never made it to 36k on rpm's. 10s only puts it a hair over 30k. Regardless, the Futaba manual says the antenna needs to be on the outside and positioned vertically and it wasn't much of a job to relocate the rx and drill a hole. I have a drawer full of assorted servo extensions and finished up changing it around last night. I just hope it solves the problem without having to send it back to Castle (again).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Happy to say that relocating the rx and routing the antenna to the outside seems to have taken care of the esc problem. Ran it twice today. 1st time just threw it in and went. It was moving so well that we recharged the packs and went for a second run with the gps in it.

Even happier to say it clocked 70 and change on 9s with a X460/3

Unhappy to say that I don't have video proof of it. It appears that the tape in my camera went bad and couldn't get it to work today at all. (and I didn't take the gopro) I finally managed to get the tape back out of it here at home (couldn't even get it to eject at the lake) and put a new one in and t's working again. There may be some video later that was shot by one of our new members, Jeremy, since he had a gopro with him. In the meantime you'll just have to take my word for it. At 70 mph this thing is an adrenaline rush.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
436 Posts
Thats great news bill, cant wait to see vids
bostong is offline Find More Posts by bostong
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:54 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Unhappy to say that I don't have video proof of it. and if there is no vid it didnt happen I always say
Yeah..................but I happen to believe you, thats a mongo prop BTW!!!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Yeah..................but I happen to believe you, thats a mongo prop BTW!!!
May be a while before there's video too. I just got an email from him saying the file was too big to send. I thought he was going to youtube it and send me a link but guess not.

The prop actually surpised. Made it drive quite a bit different from the 2 bladers. It was actually riding in "sprintcat trim" today and the prop was the only change. Coming down the front straight into a light breeze it was getting really light and pretty much running on prop, strut & rudder. (and maybe an inch of the sponsons) It only scared me once. Coming out of the corner onto the front straight I punched and it did this neat power slide. I liked the way it looked so wel I tried to duplcate it on the next lap and saw most of the bottom of the boat for a second. It kept the wet side down though.

Amp draw wasn't that bad either. Never made it to the 200 mark and the batteries were just getting warmed up to race temps on 6 laps. (It was getting even lighter). Putting them into storage mode now and the 1st was still at 3.88-3.91 per cell when I started it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
Palma Sola,Fla.
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Even happier to say it clocked 70 and change on 9s with a X460/3

Unhappy to say that I don't have video proof of it.
70 and change it was... I seen it with me own eyes!
osprey21 is offline Find More Posts by osprey21
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
hello Bill,

nice! 60 mph was"slow" for this setting, as in a 47" mono,it was doing 70 mph !
May be you can get 80 on 10S now!
I am surprised that only a prop change can change the ride attitude, the left/right balance is different, the CoG? I will try again my 3 blades 52mm soon with my 4092/700 10S, hope to reach 55+ mph

Vincent

Vincent
brushman is offline Find More Posts by brushman
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:18 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushman View Post
hello Bill,

nice! 60 mph was"slow" for this setting, as in a 47" mono,it was doing 70 mph !
May be you can get 80 on 10S now!
I am surprised that only a prop change can change the ride attitude, the left/right balance is different, the CoG? I will try again my 3 blades 52mm soon with my 4092/700 10S, hope to reach 55+ mph
Vincent
For 10s I'll need a little more esc I think. The 200 was close to it's limits as far as peak amps go. 70 makes it pretty competitive with the open gas cats already too. It may need a little more weight in the nose for 10s too as the front was very light yesterday.

No major change in CoG. The weight of the rx was shifted from the front of the cockpit to the rear but that's only an oz. or so. The lift factor of the 3 blade prop was the only real change made.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Way to go Bill. That is great !! Hope to see it run the next test and tune day.
I may have my rigger ready for a test as well. Started a build post on OSE last night.
Dave
HRCMFG is offline Find More Posts by HRCMFG
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:11 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Thanks Dave, and a Happy 4th of July to you and everyone else.

The next test n tune is only a few days away (Sunday the 8th) so hopefully you'll have have it finished up by then. And hopefully we'll have weather conditions allowing you to "unleash the beast". If it's like last Sunday when we went down to reset the pins it should be ideal. (other than being so hot you cab hardly breathe)
I'll be sure to bring along a backup camera or two this weekend just in case mine acts up again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,247 Posts
Still no video proof of the 70 mph gps run from last week. Jeremy forgot to bring his camera today. Like the Cheetah, this one lost a few mph in the chop. I managed to spin it out a couple of times as well. The video is still a good representation on what I said about it being an edrenaline rush to drive with the 460/3 prop though.
What we thought was LVC or thermal kicking in wound up being a cracked prop dog.

Falcon Cat X460 3 9s (2 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:55 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Yep, cracked alright....................that boat sure is running flightly...................can you raise or lower the strut.............or move batts?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1