HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
I sent Frank a email, asking about the cat hulls and asked him to email me a list of what all different hulls he had to offer...Is there other hulls I should be looking at in addition to....Ive got a proboat BJ26, thunder tiger outlaw jr, also already running the new proboat blackjack on 6s setup...not wanting to hijack this thread so if you have any suggestions for me pls PM them...tks much ... DJ
I hate doing PM's. If I'm not careful my mailbox winds up getting too full.

Madphil did another Falcon build in here as a twin. There are a few shots of his little Phantom in there as well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621752 It's a "Mean Machine" sized 29" hull but not nearly as ugly.

I can vouch for the handling of the Fightercat Cheetah since I have one of those. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641163 For a small boat (34") it stays planted pretty well even in the rough stuff.
They also offer a 41" Fantasm cat but I've never seen one in person to be able to give an "educated" opinion. http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...chk=1&Itemid=1

If you want to get ambitious, The Expresscraft Thunderbolt is a pretty good running 50" cat. I really liked mine, but somebody made me an offer for it that I just couldn't refuse. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331421

Guess you may have noticed by now that I'm kind of partial to cats. I do some monos as well but like the cats best. I almost hate hydro's but do own a couple of those as well.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Shoot! That post gave me a page with no graphics.

I did finally download the data log from the esc this evening though and had done a few frame grabs a couple of days ago to get a new image for setting up a link to Oct-Dec web page on our club site

Problem solved.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Oct 16, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: 2 more pix
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
TKS Bill, 41" is gonna be my size limit this time around...fightercats 41" fantasm looks to be the one i was lookn for...wanted a stable enough hull to get 70mph out of and be able to see it well enough to keep up with it....now ive got some researching to do on what motor/motors and esc/esc's etc... im gonna need to accomplish the speeds im lookn for...if no one else has done a build thread on here of it I will do one myself...get some help from all you experienced fast electric builders on here...i use to race nitro boats, but electric boats are new to me...lots of experience in electric planes/cars/helis already, so i do understand esc's/lipos and such....I truly do enjoy your vids of your speedsters...tks for taken the time to show what your doin and helpn others....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:16 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Glad to be of help DJ. I always look forward to seeing some bigger boat builds coming into the forum.
I've seen some Fantasm builds over on OSE but don't recall ever seeing one here on RCG so by all means go for it. I'll watch and even put in my $.02 on occasion.

With a handle of olwarbirds I kind of thought you might have some rc plane piloting experience. When I 1st started here on RCG I was a "jet junkie" myself and big into EDF's. Then, I fell victim to this terrible addiction called FE boating. (Just a friendly warning)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Heard from Frank, he is doin the falcon cat hulls...$148.00 plus shipping...thats not a bad deal at all ....yeah 45 yrs plus experience in planes, still got that addiction, I became a "jet junkie" a few yrs back..but getting older and its getting harder to keep up with extreme speed plane setups...

Oh its contagious....ive now got FE boating syndrome....I've got some new modeling skills to learn now though...i havnt done much with fiberglass/kevlar...done a bit of glassing with edf's but nothing serious..I have to learn how to finish and paint these hulls.... DJ
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
I fully understand what you're talking about on the vision DJ. I'm not exactly a youngster myself. I'm really glad to hear that Franks still has some more stuff available for order off ebay too.
Painting these things is not that hard to do unless you're one of the perfectionist types. The gelcoat makes an excelent primer / sealer. All you have to do is wet sand, clean, tape & spray. Mine pass the 50-50 inspection and that's close enough for me.

Started on another project tonight that's still related to this one. Dave bought one of the "beast" motors from Kershaw here while back for a jacket making pattern and asked me to test the motor for him.
This one is a 910 kv 2Y model so plan to run it on 8s since it's only rated for 30k on the rpm (like the Castle). The transplant was pretty easy. I started on it about 7:30 and had it more or less done around 8:15.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for doing this Bill !!! I am glad it didn`t take much to get that motor mounted.
At 6300 watt it is not up to par with the 2028 but should give us a good idea with your data log and how the jacket works for cooling.
Dave
HRCMFG is offline Find More Posts by HRCMFG
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Bill, it looks good....cant you up your prop size and get similiar performance with this motor? .... any particular paint types/brands i should be looking at? ....DJ
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCMFG View Post
Thanks for doing this Bill !!! I am glad it didn`t take much to get that motor mounted.
At 6300 watt it is not up to par with the 2028 but should give us a good idea with your data log and how the jacket works for cooling.
Dave
Always happy to be helpful (for a change) Dave. We both know I've given you some reall off the wall projects in the past. See what you get for living so close to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Bill, it looks good....cant you up your prop size and get similiar performance with this motor? .... any particular paint types/brands i should be looking at? ....DJ
Chances are I'll prop down a little at least or the 1st outing. Lowering voltage with a higher kv motor usually increases amp draw to produce the same wattage. I'm already peaking close to the 200 mark with the 2028 on 9s.

On paint choice, I'm by no means a professional and don't own any spray equipment other than a little airbrush. My boats that are painted have been done using Rustoleum enamels in the rattle cans. It seems to hold up pretty well and gives a pretty slick finish. The metallics need some clear coat over them but Rustoleum makes that in a rattle can too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Tks much Bill...Rustoleum sure is an inexpensive way in comparison to what I was thinking. Look forward to seeing vids on your new setup....DJ
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Oh heck Bill its all in having fun with good people
Yep play it safe with the ESC for sure. Better safe than sorry.
Dave
HRCMFG is offline Find More Posts by HRCMFG
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
64 Posts
hello Bill,

I am happy to see that you will test a new, lighter motor! I bet that you will go the same speed with less wattage!

Vincent
brushman is offline Find More Posts by brushman
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
I won't swear to it being that much lighter than the 2028 Vincent. It's a little shorter then the Castle but it's a bit fatter too. I have the tail support mount supporting the unfinned part of this motor where it supports on a couple of the cooling fins on the Castle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Bill, i was looking at hk motors....again... How does this motor stack up against the 2028? Or it doesnt at all?...thanks...stiks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_760KV.html
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Bill, i was looking at hk motors....again... How does this motor stack up against the 2028? Or it doesnt at all?...thanks...stiks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_760KV.html
By their specs that one is 4800 watts or around 1/2 of a 2028's 8000 max wattage output.
Shows 8s max so it's only good to about 25k rpms where the Castle is rated for 30k.
Max current 160 amps which isn't too bad I guess. So far my 2028 has stayed under the 200 mark according to the Castle log and average amps for a run is in the low 100's..

You might be better off with one like I'm going to test for Dave next time we run. It's available on the Kershaw website and after I wring it out a bit we'll know whether or not it's a good one.
RCG Plus Member