HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
Discussion
B.E.S.T. 2012 , October 6-7 2012, New Waverly Texas

Hello all past and possible future BEST flyers,
toying with the possibility of having future BEST events at a different location than barnstormers / New Waverly..... best choice would be Bomber Field for these reasons:

Paved Runway
grass also available right next to the pavement
tons of motorhome area with power hook-ups
Paved Runway
lots of covered pitts
grand stands
lots of power outlets all up and down entire field
Paved Runway
and not to mention, a paved runway

looking for input. Barnstormers is first class, quaint, and the best place to fly period.... but for reasons listed above, and for the event to grow it might be time to look at Bomber.
Bomber is on 290 near Hempstead.

also, nothing fishy going on, im still a member of Barnstormers, still love it etc. etc. just looking at the future of a great electric event.

Kirk
imacav8r is offline Find More Posts by imacav8r
Last edited by imacav8r; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: firmed up details. staying at barnstormers.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
For me personally, it's appox. 45 minute longer drive and I will now need to get a hotel room. I don't think this would keep me from attending.

Will there still be a separate foamy/3d flight line?

Bomber Field website
http://www.bomberfieldusa.com/index01.htm
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Might be an interesting change, even though a runway is not a large issue for me. Might be for a for a guy with a BVM Electra... I will be there either way.

Was thinking about going to Bomber Field for the giant scale event in the fall this year, as well.

From Fort Worth, for me, the difference is just 13 miles and a few minutes according to Google maps, going I35 and Highway 6, instead of I-45. Hurts the Dallas county attendees a touch more, like Davidsons said.

Would Kurt from New Creations still bring his stuff to the field?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Might be an interesting change, even though a runway is not a large issue for me. Might be for a for a guy with a BVM Electra... I will be there either way.

Was thinking about going to Bomber Field for the giant scale event in the fall this year, as well.

From Fort Worth, for me, the difference is just 13 miles and a few minutes according to Google maps, going I35 and Highway 6, instead of I-45. Hurts the Dallas county attendees a touch more, like Davidsons said.

Would Kurt from New Creations still bring his stuff to the field?
yes, new creations would still set up shop. please keep in mind that this is very preliminary! just trying to get a feel.

BTW i went to the Bomber site and was reminded that they also have a huge float pond for water operations.......another point.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,548 Posts
Sounds good to me.
I have meant to check out Bomber field for years and never made the trip.
I think the exposure for the field might help them with attendance for their other events besides just myself.
I suppose since they have RV hookup they wouldn't mind me and my little tent and night flying
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Was already salivating over the possibility of some electric seaplane action there, if BEST moves to that venue.

I will come wherever it is held!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:38 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,242 Posts
No matter to me Kirk! Any idea if the pilot fees will go up?
SRush99 is online now Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
I'd prefer Barnstormers since it a slightly shorter drive but I intend to show up regardless of the site.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99 View Post
No matter to me Kirk! Any idea if the pilot fees will go up?
nope, fees will not go up. again, VERY preliminary.. just testing the waters.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:04 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,929 Posts
I vote for Bomber Field.

I think that having BEST at this very well known field would bring in more flyers and it would be a better place to fly large models. The facility is much more open than Barnstormers and the pond will be great for seaplane action. The photo on the Bomber Field website shows what an exceptional facility this is.
Richard N is online now Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
745 Posts
Bomber is nice. I have been to a bunch of events there. Top notch field. I would miss New Waverly but maybe this is the refresh BEST needs.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,743 Posts
I'm neither for or against. I attend the B-17 Fly-In at Bomber Field in September and then head over to Tri-County Barnstomers in October for BEST. This way, I attend two different fields for two entirely different events.

I can see how Bomber Field might attract a few more pilots because it has many events tied to it...but I also like Tri-County Barnstormers for the people, the excellent facility, and the grass runway. Bomber Field has grass...but not as well maintained as TCB.

As for distance, it's only 15 miles closer to my house. Not a major reason for me to switch fields.

Have there been any Bomber Field pilots asking for the event to be hosted there? Looking forward to the continued discussion.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
745 Posts
I have seen turnout dwindle every year for the last six years. Events like this are tuff to promote, setup and run. I kind of hate to see it move but bomber is more well known and may bring a bigger turnout.

I think it needs to be clear of 3D flying will be allowed or not. And I don't mean just the other side of the runway. I mean open field freestyle. I know many that didn't come the last couple of years because it is frowned on. I didn't bring any 3D planes last year. If that is the official position, that's ok. However, 3D keeps getting more popular and may explain the smaller turnout at BEST. At a mixed event, you really need two flightlines (or really good communication). For that, a big venue like NW Houston (close to bomber) field might be a good option. I do have SEFF for that.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
I have seen turnout dwindle every year for the last six years. Events like this are tuff to promote, setup and run. I kind of hate to see it move but bomber is more well known and may bring a bigger turnout.

I think it needs to be clear of 3D flying will be allowed or not. And I don't mean just the other side of the runway. I mean open field freestyle. I know many that didn't come the last couple of years because it is frowned on. I didn't bring any 3D planes last year. If that is the official position, that's ok. However, 3D keeps getting more popular and may explain the smaller turnout at BEST. At a mixed event, you really need two flightlines (or really good communication). For that, a big venue like NW Houston (close to bomber) field might be a good option. I do have SEFF for that.
Most R/C events have had smaller turnouts for the last several years, due to the economic downturn and increased gas prices. Personally, I think there is a sweet spot for event size that is around 60-80 folks

Very tough to mix 3D over the runway and in the traffic pattern with other types of flying: scale, sport, EDF, while using a single flight line. You either need multiple flight lines or time sharing (have the attendees declare their primary type of flying, 3D or otherwise and pro-rate the air time to the respective percentages of flyers ....having stationary objects over the runway when other objects are doing flybys, touch and goes and such simply does not work.

I confess that I do not understand why 3D flyers are reluctant to move the hovering and stationary type stuff out to the edge of the runway, out of the way of traffic. The model can still be clearly seen 50-80 feet away.

I have noticed that there are many more 3D oriented type events these days than alow unrestricted 3D. This seems to be the solution to the issue that the 3D guys want. I see no harm in having separate events that cater to each type of flying. It lets both tyes of flyers get to do more of their thing at a given event.

While I dabble at 3D from time to time, my preference is for scale and EDF models. I am not interested in going to events that allow unlimited 3D over the only available runway and prefer events that keep the sole runway area clear for flybys and landings.

I would not mind an event with seperate flight lines for 3D that would allow them to cut loose any way they want to, while folks with other interests can also fly as they wish to, safely.

Is Bomber Field large enough to allow a normal flight line, a 3D flight line and a traffic pattern for the water runway? Sure does not look like there is room for two flight lines at the main runway, itself. It does look like there is a grass runway for R/C mowed out of the large (evidently full scale) grass runway west of the paved runway and west of the buildings. Does Bomber Field use that area during events, as well?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Most R/C events have had smaller turnouts for the last several years, due to the economic downturn and increased gas prices. Personally, I think there is a sweet spot for event size that is around 60-80 folks

Very tough to mix 3D over the runway and in the traffic pattern with other types of flying: scale, sport, EDF, while using a single flight line. You either need multiple flight lines or time sharing (have the attendees declare their primary type of flying, 3D or otherwise and pro-rate the air time to the respective percentages of flyers ....having stationary objects over the runway when other objects are doing flybys, touch and goes and such simply does not work.

I confess that I do not understand why 3D flyers are reluctant to move the hovering and stationary type stuff out to the edge of the runway, out of the way of traffic. The model can still be clearly seen 50-80 feet away.

I have noticed that there are many more 3D oriented type events these days than alow unrestricted 3D. This seems to be the solution to the issue that the 3D guys want. I see no harm in having separate events that cater to each type of flying. It lets both tyes of flyers get to do more of their thing at a given event.

While I dabble at 3D from time to time, my preference is for scale and EDF models. I am not interested in going to events that allow unlimited 3D over the only available runway and prefer events that keep the sole runway area clear for flybys and landings.

I would not mind an event with seperate flight lines for 3D that would allow them to cut loose any way they want to, while folks with other interests can also fly as they wish to, safely.

Is Bomber Field large enough to allow a normal flight line, a 3D flight line and a traffic pattern for the water runway? Sure does not look like there is room for two flight lines at the main runway, itself. It does look like there is a grass runway for R/C mowed out of the large (evidently full scale) grass runway west of the paved runway and west of the buildings. Does Bomber Field use that area during events, as well?
3D:
i totally agree with the above statement. we welcome all flying styles, including 3d, edf, scale, etc. and for obvious reasons including AMA guidelines, the 3d stuff is kept on the other side of the runway. there are sole 3d events popping up everywhere, usually with 3dhs sponsoring them that are for the hardcore 3d / huck gents.

the greatest fun i have is seeing a 3d flight one minute, followed by a pylon ship, and a 4 engine bomber the next. makes any event great to be a part of and watch.

as for bomber,the grass to the west is always open, but it would not be a nice long flight line like barnstormers.

AGAIN....VERY Preliminary, just testing the waters.
Last edited by imacav8r; Jan 26, 2012 at 08:10 AM.