SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
New member introduction and looking for advice on my second airplane

Hello my name is Todd and I am new to this forum. Nearly 15 years ago I started working in a hobby shop and I was mostly into racing RC cars but always had an interest in the airplanes. I worked there for 4 years then went on a 10 year hiatus from the hobby until recently my Uncle came to visit.

My Uncle's name is Mark Trent and he flies small and large scale planes and is sponsored by Bud Light. Anyways after he got home (long distance) he sent me a care package that included a Fancy Foam Vrolet biplane, Futaba T6XA radio, Rimfire 28-22-1380 outrunner motor, Phoenix-10 spd ctrl, and a bunch of servos and batteries etc.

I built the plane and have flown it about 10 times. I crashed and repaired it 3 or 4 times and now I can consistently fly it without crashing. The plane is a little beat up from the previous crashes and I am wanting to buy a second plane.

I eventually want to get a bigger plane with something like a 42" wingspan but for now I want something that I can transfer my electronics to to save some money. I have been looking at the other planes on the fancy foam website and have had my eye on the 32" Yak-55 (indoor) and the 32" Yak-55 airfoil (outdoor). Both have a 32" wingspan but seem to require different motors/spd ctrl. I think the airfoil version might be a little heavier and I am not sure if my electronics will work in it. Are these planes good for my situation? Or is there something else out there that could be recommended?

Also it might help if I tell you the kind of flying I do. I have been flying outdoor in a subdivision that hasn't started building houses yet but has paved roads (perfect since it is wide open and has a runway) in little to no wind.

Also I just ordered an new Futaba 6J radio system since the T6XA I have doesn't have expo and the nicads are old and won't hold a charge for very long. I am using 2 and 3 cell lipos that have 350 mah.

If it would be much better I would be willing to just go straight to a larger plane (42") but I would have to wait a little longer to get it.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
toddeshpeter is offline Find More Posts by toddeshpeter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Hi Todd, Im a newbie too, sorry I cant offer you any help but sure hope that someone experienced soon answers your thread as I need similar tips.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thanks jetcommander! What is your RC situation so maybe we can both get help here on this thread.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
LETS GO UTES!!
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
Get a parkzone T-28 trojan.. its pretty much the best plane everimho.
TheyCallMeUTAH is offline Find More Posts by TheyCallMeUTAH
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Flying around the Vrolet is pretty dang good for a beginner. Are you just interested in 3D, or do you want a more trainer type aircraft?
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddeshpeter View Post
Thanks jetcommander! What is your RC situation so maybe we can both get help here on this thread.
My buddy let me fly his Parkzone T-28 it was great fun, he of course landed it. Ive only been interested in RC for a couple of months.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
547 Posts
My son has a T-28 it flies great and I can only recommend it.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Flying around the Vrolet is pretty dang good for a beginner. Are you just interested in 3D, or do you want a more trainer type aircraft?
Thanks! I spent an hour on a simator at a local shop and my previous RC car racing helps a lot. The car racing helped a lot when it comes to everything being reversed when the model is coming at you.

I think I just want 3D but not for sure. At this point it is all I know. Is the T28 3D?

I think what my biggest wants are that it is bigger (42-48") and a single wing, not a biplane.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Oh and I want it to be a kit not a RTF. I have equal fun building it as I do flying it :-)

I took a look at the T-28 and it is a cool looking plane that fits the above criteria except it is RTF. How do war birds in general fly compaired to a 3D plane?

A couple of planes caught my eye at DW foamies in the 9mm outdoor planes under 48" wingspan like the edge or yak. What about those?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
T28 is a very easy to fly plane that can be overpowered if you want (and you will) later, landing only takes practice, you need to practice repeating the same stuff over and over again until it becomes second nature (like playing guitar) and then you will MORE than enjoy the hobby (and go bankrupt after realizing you spent 3/4 of your salary in planes )
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Also say PZ T28.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
LETS GO UTES!!
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
The T-28 isnt a 3d plane. however I can get mine to tumble in the air,and snap roll and knife edge. loops, rolls, no problem. you just have to know how to get her to do em.

its an all around GREAT airplane loved by many people.
She has ok speed,and zero bad habits. This is why its so popular with most everybody.
TheyCallMeUTAH is offline Find More Posts by TheyCallMeUTAH
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Since you like building, I'd say steer away from ARFs. They're great for people who just enjoy flying, but building is great fun and shouldn't be tossed out. (I'm assuming you mean building balsa. If you mean foam, speak up )

Since you can fly the vrolet biplane good, I might recommend a Sig Four Star 20. Your current electronics wouldn't work in it, but everybody says it's a great flying plane. Stable, but if you want to increase the throws, you can do some great aerobatics with it.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:24 PM View Post
baelack
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
hello forum! im out of stock lol

(i just had to use that name hehe)

Im a hard headed newbi that has NEVER built an rc plane however im doing a build thread on my sbach 342 60". i highly advise if you never built an rc plane, buy an ARF that is REALLY an ARF because there are some ARF'S that require installing the control surfaces etc! although it isn't difficult, its just something that could be already done for the newbsters like myself.

building your own plane is truly rewarding believe me!

JUST KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

cheers -chris
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock