HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Discussion
Goodluckbuy ST450 Frame

Just a few pics so of the ST450 frame from Gooduickbuy. Picked one up just to see the quality and for a general review. Overall much better than the X525 I got from them in terms of the packaging and look of it. It is made from rather light material however, so certainly not a super heavy strong frame but might be a nice light 450 size option for the price.

And shipping was surprisingly fast, I ordered on Dec 30 and it arrived today Jan 11, that is with the free shipping with the added tracking number options.

Comes all preassembled for the most part. And folds down fairly small.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081737...eat=directlink

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kk-mk-st4...ver-black.html
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I'm a sucker for foldable frames so when I saw this I thought oooo but the way it folds is just like most foldable frames which requires you to tighten each bolt on each arm before a flight. So far the T580P+ is the only one which snaps into place with a push button, I wish other frames did something similar. Carrying a spanner and screwdriver is just another thing I need to take onto the field not to mention adds time for me to setup.

Other than that it looks durable and heavy but seeing as its aluminium its probably light.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
I'm a sucker for foldable frames so when I saw this I thought oooo but the way it folds is just like most foldable frames which requires you to tighten each bolt on each arm before a flight. So far the T580P+ is the only one which snaps into place with a push button, I wish other frames did something similar. Carrying a spanner and screwdriver is just another thing I need to take onto the field not to mention adds time for me to setup.

Other than that it looks durable and heavy but seeing as its aluminium its probably light.
I don't think its actually aluminum, it is some form of G10 I think, but I'm goign to drill test and see as it is hard to tell with the paint/finish on it what it is.

EDIT - It may actually be aluminum afterall...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jan 11, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
On closer inspection it is missing 1 of the nylon standoffs for the FC mount and 9 M3 screws for the gear standoffs. I have some thankfully but would be nice if they bothered to include them all. Also had 2 small screws in the bag that don't seem to be for anything.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
After a scratch test it appears to be all made of aluminum, not G10 or anything similar.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:02 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
31 Posts
hi flitelab
I also bough that frame from ebay and got it today.
I also ordered KK board and power board.
I can't install these boards on frame, alignment are little wrong.
can you upload your photo? when you finished all electrical parts
thanks
kopauk is offline Find More Posts by kopauk
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:28 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopauk View Post
hi flitelab
I also bough that frame from ebay and got it today.
I also ordered KK board and power board.
I can't install these boards on frame, alignment are little wrong.
can you upload your photo? when you finished all electrical parts
thanks
I've not used it yet and no immediate plans. When you say alignment is wrong what do you mean?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
297 Posts
Bought this frame one month ago, biggest problem is itīs not compatible with standard KK, FF, etc hole distance pattern

In my case I had to build a small adapting plate which was such a shame because once i had it setup I really liked this frame a lot. Changed four of the screws with ones I can unscrew with my hand so I can fold it very quickly with no extra tools.

Did not try the props the frame comes with, but I tried it with both 10x4,5 and 8x4,5 with a FF board and rctimers 2822 motors. The rctimer 30A esc fits perfectly inside the arms and once flying the frame feels very rigid and stiff.

Overall in mi opinion this is a very nice frame for the price but itīs such a shame that manufacturer has failed in something as easy as drilling eight simple holes.
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Bought this frame one month ago, biggest problem is itīs not compatible with standard KK, FF, etc hole distance pattern

In my case I had to build a small adapting plate which was such a shame because once i had it setup I really liked this frame a lot. Changed four of the screws with ones I can unscrew with my hand so I can fold it very quickly with no extra tools.

Did not try the props the frame comes with, but I tried it with both 10x4,5 and 8x4,5 with a FF board and rctimers 2822 motors. The rctimer 30A esc fits perfectly inside the arms and once flying the frame feels very rigid and stiff.

Overall in mi opinion this is a very nice frame for the price but itīs such a shame that manufacturer has failed in something as easy as drilling eight simple holes.
Your going to get that problem in almost all frames. I would consider it fairly harsh to give them bad points based on that as they cant drill holes for every single fc type out there. Get your dremel out and drill the holes yourself!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Your going to get that problem in almost all frames. I would consider it fairly harsh to give them bad points based on that as they cant drill holes for every single fc type out there. Get your dremel out and drill the holes yourself!
not including the 45 x 45 holes should be a given. he is not given them bad points for not including holes for say the ardupilot that is used just by them, but 45 x 45 is pretty much a standard.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:49 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
297 Posts
Quote:

Malcr:

1- GLB ebay store, where I bought the frame, listed it saying it was "KK compatible in both X and + setups" which is FALSE. So of course I can give them bad points. After I left them a neutral (not negative ) feedback they modified the listing removing that part.

2- As you can see in my attached image you cannot simply drill the holes as the predrilled holes are in their way, also both the upper and lower parts of the frame have big holes which prevent you to do that. I did have to use my dremel for adapting the motor mounts holes which were not compatible with my 2822 motors but I have no complains about that.

3- You could try sticking a plate over it and drill it, BUT thatīs also not possible because upper and lower parts of the frame are screwed with a nylon m3 pilar placed exactly where the STANDARD hole patterns should go.

So the only way to make this frame fly with STANDARD boards is building a controller plate and that means adding more weight (4 more screws) to something which is not exactly light. (see attached photo). Using an adaption plate forces you to make your build with a higher center of gravity and has to be done perfectly because if itīs note perfectly aligned it will make the controller to react in an unbalanced way affecting the flight. Using the plate makes it much more complicated to rotate the controller 45š which is what many boards force you to do in case you wish to change from x to + as you have to unscrew everything to have access to the lower face of the upper part of the frame.

Giving bad points to the manufacturer is the only way for them to make the things right as probably some of them have never flown a multicopter (maybe this is the case here). I know this frame was sold with the bumblebee controller that needs no screws at all but now they are selling it to normal multirotor customers and most of them use controllers that need proper holes to be attached.

As I said before itīs a shame, because apart of the holes story, I really like this frame. You can see it in action in this short video:

Xa 450 FF Free Flight Night Test (0 min 52 sec)
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Malcr:

1- GLB ebay store, where I bought the frame, listed it saying it was "KK compatible in both X and + setups" which is FALSE. So of course I can give them bad points. After I left them a neutral (not negative ) feedback they modified the listing removing that part.

http://youtu.be/MsoiOAGxg2M
Fair enough then you can complain.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Now available at Hobby Lobby rc:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/st450_qua...39628_prd1.htm
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll