HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:41 AM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,590 Posts
Discussion
New WR holding Gulp

Blown away by Spencer's continuing pushing of the envelope with the K100 and Chris' fantastic D60 achievement but as foam is my particular bag I'm really interested to find out more about Greg Bolton's 238mph 48" Gulp and the build of it. Anybody got any pics or information on it?

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,174 Posts
Have to get Gregg to comment but it appeared to be straight forward but very well built and clean. It appeared to be a classic approach (tape and ultracote) rather than new stuff. I know he has a large ballast tube that takes about 1.5x an Opus ballast. The vert stab was foam with covering too. Can't remember any details about the elevons...?Sure Gregg will fill in the details and correct me where I'm wrong.
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
He said he was sending a picture of it for rcspeeds. I'll give him a call. A lot of of it is Greg's piloting skills and how hard he was digging.

It didn't feel heavy.

?
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
383 Posts
Im sure Gregg will chime in with more information but this is what I know...

48" Gulp using Steve Drake's DS airfoil (unknown) and double taper plan form.

With the ballast tube loaded he was flying at around 65 oz for the record run.

Wing had laminating film with covering over the top and the fuse was covered with goop.

Hitec HS-85 servos

Paul
Flyboypaul is offline Find More Posts by Flyboypaul
Last edited by Flyboypaul; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Greg just told me that it only weighed 55oz for that WR flight.

He's gona get some photos and send/post them

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. looking forward to seeing some pics and maybe finding out more.

Steve
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboz View Post
Greg just told me that it only weighed 55oz for that WR flight.

He's gona get some photos and send/post them

Chris
I remember he had covered over the ballast tube opening, and only cut it open after the WR flight.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,566 Posts
Great job Greg!
I'd like to see pics too so I can steal some ideas
The DS Gulps are single taper and the SR's are double taper. Could be a hybrid design?
The MH64 and MH45 were used in the past on Gulps.
55oz is still fairly heavy compared to most 48"ers and probably when you compare the W/L to our 60" JWs.

Stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
277 Posts
I was lucky enough to get to hang out with some buddies I get to see every now and then and some I don't get to see so often on Sunday and it turns out that flying toy planes with your thumbs is fun...

Gregg was going on and on pretty much the whole morning about how the wing tapered and layers of laminate and the ballast and how he had covered it all with colored monokote so it would look good on film... Honestly we all pretty much tuned him out after the first hour or so. But I must say that the plane was WAY nicer than any other foam plane I have ever seen Gregg show up with, he must have had some free time or something because the plane was clearly built with lot's of love.

Anyway here's a couple of pics from the day of "Gregg and the Gulp", (wow that sounds like a pamplet one might pick up in a school nurses office)...

On a serious note there was a lot of really good flying going on in Norco on Sunday and the guys that went really fast pretty much put on a DS clinic. It was a great day!

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is online now Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:45 AM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,590 Posts
Interestingo!

I notice that the TE has fixed portions at the centre section and tips. A couple of my fastest foamies have fixed TE at the tip and I wonder if this might provide a significant drag advantage.

I am also wondering if there is an advantage in going smaller than 60" for a fast DS foamy, perhaps because relative stiffness over a smaller span is easier to achieve. Also smaller is potentially a little more robust? I'm wondering what trying something in between 48" & 60" would be like.

Steve
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-tropic View Post
Interestingo!

I notice that the TE has fixed portions at the centre section and tips. A couple of my fastest foamies have fixed TE at the tip and I wonder if this might provide a significant drag advantage.
Don't know about drag but I believe it helps reduce flutter and elevon flex.
Quote:
I am also wondering if there is an advantage in going smaller than 60" for a fast DS foamy, perhaps because relative stiffness over a smaller span is easier to achieve. Also smaller is potentially a little more robust? I'm wondering what trying something in between 48" & 60" would be like.

Steve
My 60" JW wing didn't seem to flex too much despite having only the stock spar arrangement.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,657 Posts
Are those white control horns? Egad!

Nice build, that thing looks sweet!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Are those white control horns? Egad!

Nice build, that thing looks sweet!
Yes and all the linkage is all exposed and draggy
looks like she's got more in her

Nice work Greg

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:39 PM
Temecula
Joined Dec 2007
136 Posts
new gulp ds 48"

Sorry its taken so long to post. This is a new gulp design by Steve Drake. Yes it is somewhat of a hybrid.....SR with a DS foil. The first flight was 50 oz and went 201. For the 238 run we loaded all the ballast for 65 oz and a Sharpie Smiley face for good luck before handing it over to the launch team! I will share the next build when the new 60" is ready.
Gregg
GreggB is offline Find More Posts by GreggB
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
My 60" JW wing didn't seem to flex too much despite having only the stock spar arrangement.
But the JW has a really FAT section. Is the new gulp section the same?
wdeighton is online now Find More Posts by wdeighton