HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Droidworx -- What do you get for all that money?

Considering a Droidworx setup... but only because it's expensive and I assume that means it's good. I can't find a lot of details indicating WHY it costs so much, just to put my mind at ease that my money will be well spent.

Feedback?
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,715 Posts
I don't own a droidworx frame but have handled a few and met Rob and Linda who own the company. From what I have seen they are well engineered and designed frames that being made of cf are super light. Also from what I can tell the customer service is very good. I just bought a xaircraft folding x650 frame which is also super light, really well designed and made but it was about 1/4 the price of the droidworx cx frame. I would love a droidworx frame but as yet cannot justify the cost as I'm still not good enough at flying to risk breaking. Some people don't like them, some people think the price is too high. It all depends on what you will use it for, what you need and how it fits those needs.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I don't own a droidworx frame but have handled a few and met Rob and Linda who own the company. From what I have seen they are well engineered and designed frames that being made of cf are super light. Also from what I can tell the customer service is very good. I just bought a xaircraft folding x650 frame which is also super light, really well designed and made but it was about 1/4 the price of the droidworx cx frame. I would love a droidworx frame but as yet cannot justify the cost as I'm still not good enough at flying to risk breaking. Some people don't like them, some people think the price is too high. It all depends on what you will use it for, what you need and how it fits those needs.
This sort of confirms my suspicions. I think I'll concentrate on an XA Hexa build.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
xa hexa frame looks great.
The droidworx frames are certainly not the most expensive out there. Tell me how the Cinestar frames can command $1300+ for the frame alone.

My Droidworx AD6 arrives tomorrow from Quadracopters.com and my Avroto's and Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40 amp esc's come thursday.
I bought it because I love the looks of those airframes.

Can't wait to get them.
Now I just need to figure out which avionics package to install. Hoverfly pro with GPS or woooookong M

Also got a blueskyrc wood frame quad coming in for a beater and to practice on.
cryhavoc38 is online now Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
Have you priced woven carbon fiber tube lately? That's where a lot of the cost comes in, quality C/F tubes are expen$ive, we're not talking variable quality made in China crap here.

That said, I own both a Droidworx A6 heavy lift and a CineStar 6, both currently have DJI Wookong-M flight controllers. Prior to acquiring the CineStar I might have agreed with the assessment about the cost, after building and flying it the difference between the Droidworx and CineStar is very apparent.

The CS is a beast, it's big and it's made of really solid carbon fiber, it will withstand treatment that will destroy a Droidworx frame. I know, I managed to crash the CS a week ago when an ESC failed in flight. Not a bit of damage to the frame, nothing. Can't say the same for the Photohigher AV130 camera mount and Sony Nex 5N that were hanging under it.

All repaired now and back in the air except for the Sony. The CS is by far the smoothest flying frame I've flown to date and I've tried quite a few. It is without a doubt the best platform for aerial video on the market, period, my Droidworx frame doesn't even come close.

If you want to see what a CineStar frame is capable of, this is the first video I did with it while I was still dialing in the setup...

Sheep Pasture.mts (2 min 31 sec)
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
looks great rtryder.
Any post stabilization of the video, or is that AV130 just a fantastic gimbal coupled with the wookong?
cryhavoc38 is online now Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Dec 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post

If you want to see what a CineStar frame is capable of, this is the first video I did with it while I was still dialing in the setup...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_BmNcz264
Wow...
pilot006 is offline Find More Posts by pilot006
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Okay.. maybe I DO want a Cinestar. =)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Motu Martin teaser (3 min 20 sec)

$25 diy wooden frame
$60 diy multiwii
$300 GoPro2
$100 rctimer ESC+Motors
$20 LiPo and misc

$550 give or take for a complete setup, add in another $500 and you got FPV with a proper ground station.

just sayin...

Yes of course there are a couple shakes here and there, but there is no post stabilization and footage is slowed down to around 25%...

That was my first AP shots on that quad, and am still on the basic PIDs so the few shakes still present can be tweaked out for sure. Also all shots were done FPV with the GoPro2. I still don't get all the gripe people give about not using a GoPro for FPV... I don't get it I love the view from the GoPro, and the GoPro2 handles light changes and low light soooo much better.

So yeah, cool stuff for the $1000+ frames, controllers, gimbals and cameras.
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Last edited by Nek; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshell View Post
Droidworx -- What do you get for all that money?
About $100 worth of CF, and I'm being generous with that amount.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Well there's some bits of plastics and rubber as well I think. My buddy here tried the MultiWiiCopter stuff and imo they were trash, he now has a droidworx coming in and I can't wait to see how it compares to my cheapos... So far his cheapo wooden quad I made for him got him the most fun flying and the best footage, so yeah go figure...
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
I have some Orbit-10-Copters listed here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=droidworx

From Germany - Made for Droidworx frames...

Greg
Racerx1492 is offline Find More Posts by Racerx1492
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,715 Posts
I am pretty sure RTRyder doesn't use post work on his video, pretty sure thats as he shot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
looks great rtryder.
Any post stabilization of the video, or is that AV130 just a fantastic gimbal coupled with the wookong?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Great results can be had with 1/10th of the money this luxury items cost. One thing to consider is how much enjoyment can be had flying a 5000 euro rc toy compared to a 500 euro one. I know that flying my DW SJ 8 that cost me so far 6590 euro a terrifying experience. But I love flying my Wkm X650.

ex.
Cruising around the Farm @ Hodges Hobbies - Bill Davenport (5 min 17 sec)

My 2 cents.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,715 Posts
Never been self employed or run a business have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post