HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Discussion
Where to find good info about video cards?

I'm looking for a forum filled with extremely knowledgable computer guys that aren't tired of computer newbs asking "dumb questions."

I'm not looking to learn every little thing about computers in order to get the best card for my system.

Note I said "for my system." I'm not looking for what it the best video card EVER, I want to know which would be these investment for my old computer.

FWIW, here's what I'm running.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ 2.5g processor

1 available PCI-E spec v2 1x16 slot.

cheap, stock 330w PSU

I want a decent graphics card that won't "bottleneck" on my system, and won't require a giant PSU.

I need to be able to run RF6 at something more than "minimal" detal. I can't even fly in the water fields. Forget doing any online stuff.

Anybody got any ideas?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:48 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
That PSU is going to struggle I think... but have a look at the Nvidia GT 550/560 (nothing lower than X50 IMO) or the AMD equivilant, I haven't used AMD graphics for years so I don't know what model series you'd want.

www.tomshardware.com has a bunch of hierarchy charts and such and reviews if you know how to use the search function.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
I use the GTX 560 ti with dual fan. I know newegg.com had the single fan version recently on sale for around $119 I think. I know you can get versions of the 560 ti for well under $200. My specific versions was around $270.00 I believe and it has a lifetime warranty. I couldn't be happier with the performance. It also runs cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...560+ti&x=0&y=0

I use only EVGA products, so that's why I filtered it on the search results in the link.
mwilson914 is offline Find More Posts by mwilson914