SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,175 Posts
Great Job guys! That field can be very unforgiving! Congrats Dave with the W with Neos!

Burton, what task is L2 x 3? I've never heard of that one before. I like the way you switched up the matrix though. We have been doing long flights first thing in the bigger national contests and you'd be surprised at how much lift is around at 9 am! 9:58 Poker call first thing in the morning? No Problem!!

Hope to see ya'll soon!

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
3rd place is Ole Skotvold and I am 4th
Ops... just corrected it. Just making sure you are paying attention.

L2 x 3 is Last two flights, 3 min max, 7 min window. It's probably my least favorite task because I inevitably get one decent flight then get a really miserable flight. Which is exactly what I (and some others) did this weekend.
balesse is online now Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
I would have LOVE to see you make that 9:58 call anytime on Saturday James! I think 2:00 was the biggest call of anyone in Poker.

Pretty sure the L2 x3 isn't an "official" task (edit - it is a Task B alternate) but it's on the list in F3kScore. It's amazing how short 7 minute windows feel when we are so used to the 10 minute standard. Nice to break it up. Helped us keep the contest running quickly too, beat the rain by maybe 15 minutes!

Rj
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
Last edited by rdjay; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
55 Posts
It was a really fun contest - they're better when things are rough. I was really pleased that we could put on a good show at a new venue, too.

Wish I could have made 4:55s all day. As it was I did a fair bit of walking. The best/worst was a full on run to grab the plane and launch before the window closed on a 1:15 Poker call - made the launch, but still landed out.
L.E.D. is online now Find More Posts by L.E.D.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:43 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
899 Posts
LED - You gotta try a Zone wing. You will be able to leave the ballast at home and your launches will be much higher...
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
LED - You gotta try a Zone wing. You will be able to leave the ballast at home and your launches will be much higher...
Pretty sure he has a set of cores just a waitin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,175 Posts
Interesting, I have ballasted my Neos a few times. It still needs it just not quite as much...but it depends on the lift for the day...not the wind. That is the key!

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
512 Posts
Loading up the scores in F3k Score provided some useful insight into how I did in the contest. I haven't done it yet, but I thought it would interesting to see how my score would have changed had I flown in group 1 for most of the contest, rather than flying in group 2. Note, I am not complaining, or moaning, I just need to step up my game more

the F3k Score program also has the ability to upload the xlsx exported spreadsheet to a web site. I imagine, then that the webserver converts the spreadsheet to html tables so they can be displayed. We might be able to use this funcitonality to let everyone know the standings after each round. They used this at the TS, and was cool to see the standings and scores after each round. We could send up the scores after each round using a cell data connection (either using a dongle, or a phone with tethering on), or host a web server on the scoring computer and then just set the scoring computer to be a wifi hub so we can connect to it using our smart phones or tablets. The F3K score program works just fine on Linux, so setting all that up on a Linux laptop would be pretty straight forward. - just a thought.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
353 Posts
Thanks to Rick and Burton for another great contest! Lunch was the best as always, thanks Bret. We hit the weather perfect except for the wind that made it a real challenge! It was fun to watch Ole get some maxes on the far side of the field as I sat there and watched! Dave Jensen flew well in the wind to post his highest finish yet, congrats Dave! It was good to have Ben come over and fly with us as he is always a great competitor. Great times and great pilots, looking forward to the next one. Thanks everyone!
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
Yup, Rick and I were talking about looking to the what it takes to get access to their server/setup our own server the other day.

There has also been discussion around the way we do our flight groups. Right now we order them based on the current score. Low scores go in group1, high scores go in group2. F3K score is not setup to do it this way (it wants to randomly assign them) and it takes a little extra effort on our part to make this work out.

Rick, Adam, and I like this method. It sets it up so that you are competing with pilots in the same skill level. It could potentially give an advantage to the higher pilots in the low end group, but if you do well there you then get bumped into group 2. So then you have to struggle to stay there since you are flying with the best pilots. It does not really affect the top end pilots at all.
balesse is online now Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,654 Posts
Nice pics where the planes cheers
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Spokane, WA
Joined Mar 2010
80 Posts
Thanks for the pics Dave!
Swammie is online now Find More Posts by Swammie
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
497 Posts
Dave, thanks for taking and posting the competitor pictures! Great to have some memorialization of the people who were there. Excellent contest guys, thanks to Rick and Burton and to all the participants. Lots of fun and some very challenging flight conditions. And huge thanks to Brett as always for a very tasty lunch. Looking forward to the next one, whether Jan/Feb or later in the spring.

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
Season Results

So inquiring minds want to know..........................

Here's the results of our SASS 2012 season. We flew 7 contests with a total of 40 different flyers participating. We averaged better than 19 guys at each contest! Hand launch is indeed healthy in the PNW.

Your humble CD's (Rj& Red) made the call to use the 4 best scores for the years winner.

And our season champion is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. Dave Banks! Dave edged out Tim Johnson by less than 5 points total with Ben Swanson finishing a strong third. Congratulations, WAY TO GO GUYS!

So, you want to know what your win? International recognition right here and bragging rights for 1 full year!

A huge hanks to all who participated this past season. And two more big shout out of thanks to Bret for keeping us fed every contest and to Burton for EVERYTHING he does.

I have to say it was an awesome year for SASS contests. Get those new planes built, broken planes repaired, gut your fringe buddies interested, keep practicing all winter and we will see everyone in March!

Rick