SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,910 Posts
Guys,

I need two small pieces (2" x 3") diagonal spread tow to repairs the leading edge damage from the planes that went into the trees. PM me if you can spare any. I'll paypal any money needed.

Thanks,

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,823 Posts
18 pilots showed up but two dropped out and we had a great contest. The wind was blowing and the air was unstable. Lots of lift that was there one second and gone the next. Traveling to far down wind was risky as huge sink often put the DLG down in seconds from 100'. The Magnuson field has lots of areas to find bumps and waves. As always the rain held off until 30 minutes after the 7th round was in the books. Thanks Rick and Burtan and all the timers. Who wants to have a contest in January of 2013.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
512 Posts
Whomever is responsible for scheduling the rain in Seattle must like DLGs ... Just wish we could of have the same love from the wind scheduling department. Overall an excellent contest.

I'd love to do a Jan. contest.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Congrats Dave banks on a well earned win. Tough, challenging conditions, as always the cream was at the top.

Thanks to all for braving the dicey weather and especially for playing by my "rules" on the no fly area. You guys are the best.

Thanks again to Bret for lunch and delivering the stuff we needed to run the contest.

Only 5 months to our march contest!

Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
And a HUGE shout out of thanks to my bud and super score keeper Burton for all his help.
Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Last edited by rdjay; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:52 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,910 Posts
Ummm,

It's not 5 months to the contests in Arizona. Just think, sunshine, great sites, pretty women.

Well, two out of three isn't bad, is it?

Take a break from the gloom, the rain, the black ice, well you know.

Love to see some of you down there.

Gary
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,910 Posts
Forgot to mention, John is taking care of my spread tow request. Thanks, John.

What were the tasks?

Gary
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
What were the tasks?Gary
1) Last flight 5 min max, 7 min window
2) Ladder
3) Best 3, 3min max, 10 min window
4) 1,2,3,4
5) All up
6) Poker
7) Last 2, 3min max, 7min window

I was trying to steer away from what I think is a logical order for the tasks (start with ladder, end with All up, and put the longer flights in the middle). I hate last flight and last two, so I had to start and end with them. I figured there was no way anyone would get a five minute flight first thing in the morning, but Lawrence pretty much proved me wrong by getting 4:55! I'll try and get to the scores in the next couple days and post them when they are ready.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
So glad to hear the weather allowed for a successful contest. I had scheduled something else that day and had forgotten about it until a reminder email was sent out just before.

Totally up for a January contest, if I can make it.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
897 Posts
Very Fun Contest Yesterday. Big thanks to Burton, Rick And Brett! I struggled all day with the chunky air and had a ton of fun. Can't wait till the next one.

Gary- Is there a link to contests in Arizona? It would be nice to fly down for a little Dry/Thaw time. Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,910 Posts
Check out anything that has "Blue Skies" in it's title. Those are 2 day contests. One each in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. The Arizona one is coming up in early Nov, I think.

One day contest may be titled "Beat the Heat", other than that, I dunno. I just browse all the threads.

All the two day contests would be on the F3K tour calendar.

Gary
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
SASS Oct 20th DLG Scores

Ok, the final results are in with a couple modifications.
Ken got bumped down two places while John and Rick J each went up one place. The top three didn't move. Congratulations!
1st Dave Banks
2nd Ben Swanson
3rd Ole Skotvold
Attached is a PDF for the totals and the final contest file. F3KScore (Thanks Peter and Oleg!) is available from Oleg's website if you want to download it and check out the detailed scores.

Thanks everyone for visiting Seattle for this one. The venue (Magnuson park) worked quite well and everyone did a good job of avoiding the no fly zones over the soccer fields. I suspect the lack of boomer thermals along with the rough air helped to make those areas less appealing. Despite Adams absence, he still graced us a rain free day (at least until we were packing up).

A few items for us to work on next time (putting these here to help us CDs remember for next time):
- try using a different android device to see if that evens out the announcements
- We'd like to try having the timers review the round results with the pilots before walking off the field
- get the clocks to count down on the AllUp task

We are feeling really good about the new scoring system as well as the speaker/clock setup. I also wanted to thank Rick for putting together a new inverter setup for powering the clocks, speaker, android, and laptop. It worked great and we didn't have any of the power issues that we were seeing in the last contest. It was also great because at one point the battery was getting low and it warned us before we were out of juice.

Thanks to:
-Rick for running things, setting up, tearing down, and shuttling stuff around
-Brett for the delicious meal; the chilli was a great addition on a cold day! And for picking up and dropping off supplies at Correy for us.
-Adam for all his work getting the clock, speaker, and android setup, and of course the rain free event!
-Everyone else for making it a great day!

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions for us.

Burton
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Last edited by balesse; Oct 22, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: updated
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:32 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
Very Fun Contest Yesterday. Big thanks to Burton, Rick And Brett! I struggled all day with the chunky air and had a ton of fun. Can't wait till the next one.

Gary- Is there a link to contests in Arizona? It would be nice to fly down for a little Dry/Thaw time. Lee
Phillip started this link--
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559160
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,823 Posts
I am going to look into CDing a contest sometime in late Jan or Feb if we get a warm spell. Date and location to be determined.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:21 AM
Spokane, WA
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
Thank you SASS for another great contest. I was very pleasantly surprised that the weather held out and we got to fly the whole contest with no weather delays. It was a bit cold and quite turbulent with the wind. But, it was a good time and lots of great flying. I am always impressed with what these great pilots can do with these gliders. I will look forward to traveling to the contests again next flying season.

Congratulations Dave, great flying! I will look forward to competing with you and the others again next year. :-)
Ben
Swammie is online now Find More Posts by Swammie