HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,164 Posts
oh man I wish I could be there! Olympia contests were always my favorate! What a crazy field!!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
Well I spoke to soon as work will be taking up my time on Saturday. Just a special thanks to Craig for his offer and I hope one of these weeks I can make it while up in the area for work.

Norm
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:36 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,872 Posts
If anyone is bring family or friends, please let us know. Don't want to run out of food.

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
RussMc
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
This is a pretty impressive list of attendees! FUN!

Hey this is a great to see so many, and from the great white north, and Oregon too! Way to go you guys!

I'm stoking up on the Polish dogs for the BBQ.

And if anyone is on the fence about coming to an event in Olympia -- we have more fun flying conditions at our field than you'll find at most. Saturday should be no exception, with marine-air clouds that should burn off mid morning (keeps the overall temperatures down, max should be mid-upper 70's), with some 'unstable air' likely through the mid-day. Gotta love that unstable air! Light breeze out of the SSW.

Tim, Jonathan, Red - I'll make sure we have extra dogs so you won't feel left out when you finally come around to joining us too!

James, we'll miss you.

I look forward to seeing you all
Russ
fishinrflyin is offline Find More Posts by fishinrflyin
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
505 Posts
Anyone going to the olympia contest from maple valley, covington, auburn etc. is welcome to ride down with me. I'll probably be leaving maple valley at around 6:30 AM. Send me a PM as soon as you can so I can plan.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
Seattle WA area
Joined Jul 2006
59 Posts
Me too, me too!
In spite of planting my plane firmly in a tree tonight while practicing, losing my last tiny servo screw on the repair and having to reprogram my Palm, I'll actually be at the event Sat.
Everything has gotten in the way of my flying this season so far, but, I'm finally free to join the gang for some fun.
Dave, I hope you can make it.
Heath, I'm in Kent, we should talk.
See you all tomorrow.

Michael
Eyesoar55 is offline Find More Posts by Eyesoar55
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,029 Posts
I can't take it anymore, you guys have way too much fun. I hope there's lots of photos!
Hope you can make it Dave, show 'em what the Neos can do!
Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
RussMc
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
Sat Morning Weather

Radar shows scattered rain in Seattle area but we currently have none. It's calm, low clouds, 18% chance of rain (thundershowers), temp is 57 degrees.

We're a GO for today. There will be some great conditions!

See you soon!

Here's the NWS forecast for our area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ld2=-122.84965

Russ
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Great contest again Gary and Russ! Congrats to Jon, Russ and Craig (1,2 and 3), great flying guys in some varying conditions (understatement?) as the day went on. And the best polish dogs for lunch, doesn't get much better than that!

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Last edited by rdjay; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Yep, thank you Russ and Gary for putting on another great contest. It was sure exciting to have so many flyers participate in the contest. By far it was the most I have flown with.

Gary, I think your pre-contest safety talk worked. - I noticed that everyone was very careful launching and landing in the small launch zone.

Cheers,
Jon
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
RussMc
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
Oly Contest Results

What a kick! 19 pilots! That was a remarkable turnout, and I was thinking a little old thunderstorm was going to keep the travelers away. We broke into 3 groups and put in 7 rounds for the day. CD didn't let any throw-outs so you had to be on point all day.

Thanks to all for traveling down to join us. Our Canadian contingent had to leave at 4AM to get down here! Unfortunately Michael and Lev both had planes break so they headed home early.

Congratulations to our Portland contingent! Jon Daniels took 1st with his Concept CX3 and Craig Robinson took 3rd. I managed to work my way between them but nobody was giving anything away without a fight.

Started the day ghosting lift out of the fog and low clouds, planes fading away into the clouds as a reward to those who found lift. Then conditions sort of teased us through the day, with periods of still air, some of our windows seemed like nothing but long cycles of sink, and some were a with a smattering of scattered weak lift, and a few were cycles of lift where everything was going up. You had to always be playing your cards right to make it pay. I think I had some of the closest saves I can remember, either climbing back up from 20ft or just scratching and scratching under 40ft never quite able to claw up out of it. Man! those flights always seem to go on forever when you just can't break through that ceiling.

Scores are attached.

Russ
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,872 Posts
I want to thank everyone for attending, as always, a great group of flyers. And especially for putting up with my fumbling efforts as a first time CD

I'm sorry I didn't manage time better, we just ran out of time and didn't have time for the second poker round. We wont leave it till last next time. I know how much everyone was looking forward to it !

Again, thanks for coming. I hope to see everyone at the SASS 2 day contest in August.

Gary
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,872 Posts
I had my first chance to get Tom's moldie into the air. Very happy with the airplane, less so with the pilot. Additional launch height, great range, works light air very well. Now if it only had a name I could pronounce.........

I did find something out though. It's possible to find sink that you can't get out of, no matter how high the launch and how well the plane moves out. Of course, that didn't just happen to me.

Thanks Tom, great plane.

Gary
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
I always love those low altitude flights.
Congrats to all the winners!
You guys have amazing flying fields! Would love to fly there one day!

Soar!
Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinrflyin View Post
What a kick! 19 pilots! That was a remarkable turnout, and I was thinking a little old thunderstorm was going to keep the travelers away. We broke into 3 groups and put in 7 rounds for the day. CD didn't let any throw-outs so you had to be on point all day.

Thanks to all for traveling down to join us. Our Canadian contingent had to leave at 4AM to get down here! Unfortunately Michael and Lev both had planes break so they headed home early.

Congratulations to our Portland contingent! Jon Daniels took 1st with his Concept CX3 and Craig Robinson took 3rd. I managed to work my way between them but nobody was giving anything away without a fight.

Started the day ghosting lift out of the fog and low clouds, planes fading away into the clouds as a reward to those who found lift. Then conditions sort of teased us through the day, with periods of still air, some of our windows seemed like nothing but long cycles of sink, and some were a with a smattering of scattered weak lift, and a few were cycles of lift where everything was going up. You had to always be playing your cards right to make it pay. I think I had some of the closest saves I can remember, either climbing back up from 20ft or just scratching and scratching under 40ft never quite able to claw up out of it. Man! those flights always seem to go on forever when you just can't break through that ceiling.

Scores are attached.

Russ
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Early morning practice.
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex