Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
Oooops, double post.
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2006
74 Posts
I'm sorry, Rick, I've been focused on flying the Poker task.

Yes, it is saturday, the 14th.

Gary

Thanks Gary, that clears it up just fine. Don't you love it!

Ray
ray ernst is offline Find More Posts by ray ernst
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,917 Posts
Rick,

The 14th, or the Poker task? I'm trying to talk Russ into having two poker rounds, seems like we could all use the practice.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
Both!

I've got the 14th on my calendar. Yikes, two poker rounds in one day........... well your right we can use the practice.

Rick
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,174 Posts
Northwesterners!

Those of you who are qualified to attend the TS in CO need to seriously consider going. All of you are great pilots and have earned you right to fly at this event. Red and Rick are driving down in an RV, consider a caravan! Sign up and represent!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,917 Posts
Well guys, we may have jumped the gun about the contest being a team selection contest.

We have the sanction from the AMA, but we didn't get it on the Team Calendar within the 30 day period. We didn't have 30 days from when the club approved the contest. I had belived that the problem was with the sanction, and the regional contest coordinator and the AMA came thru for us with the sanction.

I've asked Tom Keisling if there is any "wiggle room", so we'll keep you posted.

But we would like to have everyone down or up or from the east, regardless.

Gary
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
531 Posts
Scores from SASS June 9th Contest

OK Gang, here are the scores from Saturday... Thanks to Rick (Jay) for typing them in for me.

We (unfortunately) found a few errors in calculations and we (also unfortunately), had to reorder some. Ray, I'm sorry but your best finish ever, was, well, short lived. I hope you enjoyed it enough to keep you coming back;-) To everyone, please check and double check when you are doing scores. Our process is a bit manual, but it allows everyone to fly and should only take a few minutes after you are finished timing for someone. If anyone has any suggestions on how we could make things easier, please let Rick or myself know. Also, PLEASE write legibly... we really do look back at these and have to decipher what you've scribbled.

SASS June 2012_Final
RED_HLG is offline Find More Posts by RED_HLG
Last edited by RED_HLG; Jun 13, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Note, redid scores again... Congrats Ben!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
531 Posts
Stream of conciousness on June's SASS Contest

I sent this to James this morning to make him all jealous... I thought I would share it with you all... think of it as "what Adam remembers from Saturday"... rather than "things you should be thinking after a contest if you happen to win".

So, it was cloudy and grey most of the day. The thermals didn't really get serious until the first sun break about 11am. Before that it was light wind out of the south (blowing us towards the horse barns). There would be a little lift here and there, and the tree line to the north would occasionally work. I missed my 2:00 in the first ladder by 2 seconds... and then was 80-95% on the following 2 rounds before lunch. After lunch, the wind was threatening a bit, and we got into a cycle where the first group (the bottom guys) wouldn't have any lift, and then the top guys could get their times no problem. The winds also seemed to shift a bit and then the corn field trees started working. The last round AULD, I got a thermal way over by the river... I just kept flying that direction until I went up. I think one or two other guys got 3's on that, but not many. The second launch I went up over the corn field didn't see much, and circled down towards the storage barns, and slowly floated down for a 2:12. A few guys got their 3's off to the north. The last flight I launched really late, right as the buzzer buzzed out, thinking about my clocks, rather than throwing, and just went out over the corn field... I got a bump, hooked up, and watched everyone else slowly sink to the ground as I got my 3. In the end I was surprised I did as well as I did, I was pretty sure I'd left plenty of time on the table to get beat... but everyone else left more!

Adam
RED_HLG is offline Find More Posts by RED_HLG
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,917 Posts
Good news guys, we will be able to have the Olympia contest this saturday count for qualifying for this years team cycle. That's the latest and final word.

And we will go ahead and make the July contest a qualifying contest for the next team cycle.

Gary
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,917 Posts
Well, to those that stayed at home because of a forecast which said "rain", you should have known better.

Overcast, only a few sprinkles just before lunch. But it was windy, from the south, so LOTS of turbulence from the various tree lines. Thermals and big time sink.

Russ will post the standings, but as I recall Jonathan displayed some superb flying in really challenging conditions to take first, and I stayed out of last.

Challenging conditions? When is the last time you have seen people call :40 sec in Poker and then have to throw multiple times?

Thanks to the guys from SASS and PASS who helped make this a lot of fun.

Next contest in mid July in Olympia.

Thanks again,

Gary
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:17 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,651 Posts
Happy fathers day and flying
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
RussMc
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
Oly Contest Results

For those willing to travel to Olympia, we dished out some of the most challenging conditions our site has seen to date. It ranged from wild turbulence that was completely out of proportion to the light breeze, to boomers that were suddenly gone in the flick of a glider. Jonathan was able to eek out the most from every throw to come out ahead and Jon's consistent high launches and persistent work led to a well earned 2nd.

Thanks for joining us in Oly and come back on July 14th for our next contest!

Russ
fishinrflyin is offline Find More Posts by fishinrflyin
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,193 Posts
Nicely done Jonathan!

Russ, I've got July 14th on my calendar and hope to get a few more of us "northerners" to your next contest.

RdJay
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,843 Posts
I'm planning on it
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen