HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Weather was only perfect for this one. Thermals didn't seem huge early but picked up after lunch. Top 5 guys always seem to be able to find the weak ones and stay up though......

I'd like to hear some feedback on running the contest with 3 flight groups. What did you guys think?

Positive or negative please!

Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Last edited by rdjay; May 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
This was only my 2nd contest so my words carry only so much weight, but personally, I liked the 3 groups. More room on the field. Less chances for mid-airs. 21 pilots and the All Up is nightmare for me. I suppose I'll get used to that. Up till now most of my DGL flying has been alone or with one other pilot on the field.
I realize 3 groups would require more time to complete.
Ken
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old May 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,822 Posts
The 3 groups allowed for some relaxation as everyone did not need to fly or time. If the contest attendance continues to grow, I think 3 flight groups is the way to go.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth the three groups went. At first I was worried that it would make the whole contest take longer, but I think we did a pretty good job of keeping everything on schedule. In someways it was a bit more work for Rick and I, but at the same time not having to be out on the field each round gave us time to catch up and get organized.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old May 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,173 Posts
Thanks Rick for CDing you did a great job! Great flying everyone, it was fun to catch up!

Weather was great, cool in the morning and warmed up nicely for the afternoon. Thermals were light in the morning and started to kick up in the afternoon. Very relaxing contest with lots of time to chit chat!

The harder conditions were in the late afternoon. The lift was definately cycling between really easy air and then sink everywhere. Depending on what flight group you were in and when you threw, the sink could really mess you up. I remember a few rounds getting out there and before the round started and finding lift everywhere then the round starting and my read being gone!

My favorite flights...watching Dave work a thermal from 20 feet to sky out for a 4 minute flight and thinking he was burying me only to find out he threw a 3:30 and 1:30 prior and was trying to better his score; Skying out with Tim for the second AULD and fighting hard to make it back to the field, sorry Tim; watching all the new talent out flying! Keep it up guys!

Rick, 3 flight groups for 21 folks work really well. Things were tighter when we switched back to 2 flight groups but the field is big enough to handle it. The only issue that can happen with that many people is when the wind picks up, everyone ends up on one side of the field. It wasnt an issue this weekend but potentially it could be. You did a great job of keeping things moving with 3 flight groups though. I think at that pace we could have put in almost 10 rounds with two groups!

James

PS. Again, if anyone is qualified, close to qualified or thinking about being qualified... GO TO THE TS contest! Even if you may not have a chance of winning, you will learn more in that contest then in any other weekend of flying! Part of the reason we hold the contest is to train up and coming pilots to enrich our talent pool. Come out and have fun!
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old May 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
531 Posts
James, thanks for the Team Select plug. Fire those of you who are interested in attending the contest is in Denver over Labor day weekend. We are planning to take an RV over and camping in-site, and we're looking for a few more pilots to join in and share the cost, driving, and FUN! Drop Rick Jay or myself a line if you're interested.

It was great seeing everyone out there for my short family visit, and I'm happy my absence gave James a chance for the trophey;-)
Red
RED_HLG is offline Find More Posts by RED_HLG
Old May 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Greetings from Utah, Red!

Snag Banks...I think he may have qualified with 1/2 point last month and perhaps 1/2 point this contest. If I don't get qualified to fly, I'll be there helping.

Russ

PS...good-looking boy by the way!
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old May 14, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
492 Posts
I'm very bummed to have missed this contest - sounds like a great day, great weather and a very impressive turnout. One comment on 3 flight groups vs. 2 - it sounds like a good idea, although my preference would be to avoid anything that has the potential to lengthen the contest time. My biggest impediment to getting out for these contests is having to work out spending a whole Saturday or Sunday away from my family (who astoundingly aren't interested in watching me fly gliders all day - crazy, I know!). Shorter contests make this easier. There may be other potential competitors who are in a similar situation. In any case, from some of the other comments here it sounds like the 3 flight groups didn't slow things down much, and made for a nice contest pace. For what it's worth I thought the AULD with ~20 competitors at the last contest was great - talk about some excitement!

Well done Rick and Burton. See you guys at a future contest, although not the next one as I'll be out of town on vacation. Do I have it right that there isn't a SASS handlaunch contest in July for some reason?

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old May 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
You did miss a great day John.

My biggest and really only concern with 3 groups was that it would take too long. Most of the day I felt like I was really pushing (tally scores and call the next group) from round to round to keep it moving . But really guys were on it and ready to go. In the end we finished before 4:00 which is about "normal" anyway.

One thing that will help is to get started a bit earlier. We say 9:00 pilots meeting and I remember looking at my watch and it was after 9:30 and we hadn't started the meeting. This is on me (and Red next month) to get my lazy butt there a bit earlier and get set up.

And yes, no July SASS, June and then August is the two day. Past few years Olympia has had a July contest that's lots of fun, if they have one this year (hint, hint, hint Russ) you might want to think about it.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old May 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined May 2006
75 Posts
I liked the three groups. It gave you a chance to meet and time for more people. A little less crowded, And it went pretty fast. Rick kept it rolling along but you had a chance to rest if you wanted too.

Chris
freya is offline Find More Posts by freya
Old May 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts
I was concerned when we started that there was going to be 3 groups, but as many have mentioned, it worked out well. I liked it. Rick and the rest of the SASS team put on a great contest. I had a great time and I am already looking forward to June.

Ben
Swammie is offline Find More Posts by Swammie
Old May 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
LGE
Brier, WA
Joined Oct 2007
85 Posts
More photos

Great contest here are a few more photos
LGE is offline Find More Posts by LGE
Old May 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2006
73 Posts
Some pictures from SASS 5.12.12

Thanks Rick and Burton for CDing the event. Seems like everything went smooth and orderly. I liked the 3 groupings as a change from previous contests in that it gives time to charge batteries, make adjustments and check out others flying skills. Switching over to 2 groups after lunch went well too. A great turnout and we were even missing some of the regulars. Looking forward to June.

Took a few shots to share. Wish I had taken more.
ray ernst is offline Find More Posts by ray ernst
Old May 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
So wish I was there! had other things keeping me busy. Crossing my fingers for June 9th!

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube