Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by heliwill10, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Kevlar Wrap

The kevlar is not on the bias. I just used some scraps, if you buy a wing from me I make sure you get lots of cut offs.

Sand the Fin! Their will be Frekote on it and you won't get a firm bond!

I use Locktite spray adhesive for everything. It does not melt foam and you can buy it at walmart.

I used West Systems, however that might be overkill, someone like Curtis could recommend something better for the average builder. I've not had much luck with the hobby shop expoy lately. Not sure what happened to them.

This should hold your tail on for any flip overs, maybe even an inverted landing?
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 27, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:09 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Stab Alignment.

I used two bricks and a box of checks to get the stab up in the air. That way the pods own weight is holding the v mount to the boom.

You can see I'm using the pylon as a way to stabilize the whole assembly. The alignment string is ready, I know the wing is not on! But we can make little changes in the end grain of the stab if needed later.

I used a small about of 5-min epoxy, well my 5 min is really like 15 min.... So, take that into consideration.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:49 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Wrap V-mount.

I used kevlar tow... Kevlar cord, carbon or FG tow would work fine too. After its wrapped I soaked it with some CA. Also helps to scuff up the v-mount.

After flight testing it would be a better idea to use epoxy to soak the kevlar tow

So right now the balance point is at the tailboom intersection. On my flying supra its about 5 inches ahead of my finger. With the battery, servos, receiver, and switch installed. Its going to need very little nose weight if any!!!

The weights now are:

46oz Wing ready to fly
9.3oz Pod, boom, tailfeathers
7oz Remaining electronics.

Total: 62oz!!!
Last edited by heliwill10; Feb 04, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Glue up the boom!

UPDATE

After flight testing this boom needed a mod to limit the amount of twist see here.

Post 82 on that page.

I used West 105 and lots of cotton fiber filler to make a thick paste.
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 31, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Making pushrods.

For the rudder I'm using .05in carbon rod and .07 for the elevator. At the control surfaces I did 90 degree bends in .031 music wire, later when installed I'll use heat shrink and CA to secure them at control horn.

I compared this to brass threaded rod, JB weld and a clevis. This is about 2-3 grams lighter. I'll be using the threaded rod in pod however.

That's kite string, Spectra braided 80# found:

http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list....braidedspectra
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 28, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,337 Posts
I haven't commented on the tail and boom installation. I'm still drooling over the horizontal tail build and the final weight of that! I'm impressed. So much so I think I may try that myself.

Keep up the great work, it's exactly how I accomplish my build too. It's almost like we've been to the same school.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:06 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Here is some more important info on the rudder pushrod, I had some fludder on flight testing. The pushrod sleave needs to extend and have a balsa wedge. See here in a later post....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=94

haha! I'm sure it has something to do with our monthly hours logged on groups!

When the blog is finished, I hope it becomes quoted and sent out everywhere. I was an experienced rc moldier before starting into sailplanes and being somewhat secluded the internet has been my classroom.

Searching for hours and days I think this blog answers lot of beginning questions, with real pictures!!

4100 views, someone must be reading it
Last edited by heliwill10; Feb 02, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:50 AM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
444 Posts
Will,

I've read through this thread once, and now I'm going through it again and making a shopping list for all the small parts and materials that I don't think of until I need them.

This thread is saving me a lot of time researching how others have assembled their Supras. Well, that's not the the whole story. I have looked and came away with pieces of information, but never a complete picture that pulls everything together. I won't build mine exactly the same as yours, but yours is my reference (and you're the source of my major components), so you know I won't wander far off the beaten track.

Thanks for putting this thread up. I think if someone had shown a Supra being built like this, back when Supras first came out, there'd be a lot more folks building and flying them now.

Trevor
Powerbud is offline Find More Posts by Powerbud
Last edited by Powerbud; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Servo Install

Took some head scratching to get these Voltz in... I'll take pictures of my JR388 install, the Voltz are slightly bigger and caused some troubles. Running them on a 45 might have worked, but I wanted room for the switch.

Total fuse weight now is 9.3oz.

With this setup I can still remove controls.
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 29, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
Alternative for fuse servo mounting.

Not sure if you have room for this system
Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:36 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Nope

But I'm happy with the install I have now.

Just did another re-weigh.... Everything is in, except for the switch which should be here this week. I didn't take pictures of the rudder linkage install because its the same as the elevator above. Anyway, the balance point of the fuse is right in the middle of the pylon, so I'm hoping very little nose weight will be needed.

66oz

Should stay under 70, that would be killer. Eat your hearts out 2200$ moldies

1157sq. in / 144 = 8.03
66oz / 8.03 = 8.29 oz/sp. ft.
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 29, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
It flew!

After the Pushrods were done I just needed my switch... And it came today.

I mounted it just forward of the plyon as it was the only place it would fit. A bit bulky.

I set the CG 96mm back. That took 14grams of nose weight. BUT After many hand launches that all came out. That means NO NOSE WEIGHT

I'm somewhere around 45%

AUW 67oz

Working on uploading HLG videos.
Last edited by heliwill10; Feb 02, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Hand Launch Videos

Found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20587046

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20587773
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 30, 2012 at 05:39 PM.