HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by heliwill10, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Disser Stab!!

30in span, 5in center cord and 2.25in tip.

33 Grams!! And strong as nails!!

heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,727 Posts
Will,

Very nice! If it's not proprietary what weight of fiberglass did you use and how many layers top/bottom?

Amazing work! I bet you're glad you went to all the trouble of making the Disser frame.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Curtis!

I used my neighbors table saw to make the jig, thank god for that

It's 0.7oz FG with 3k tow. One layer top and bottom. Kevlar leading edge, end grain stab mount and uni carbon laminate top and bottom 1/4in wide.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Vinyl Decals.

These are Jack's decals, he is offering Super Supra for 7.50$. For 10$ your AMA# ****** and Super Supra.
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 24, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Here is a scary update. I added up all my components, wings, pod, etc. Everything but nose weight.

63oz....
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliwill10 View Post
Here is a scary update. I added up all my components, wings, pod, etc. Everything but nose weight.

63oz....
A few assumptions here; if this is with all the radio gear, motor, esc etc... and if I estimate the wing area to be 1165.25sq inches that would give a wing loading of 8.03 oz sq/ft. Do you have provisions for ballast?

Wow! Nice and light!
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Ah! This is a winch job, when we talked about an ALES wing that was for someone else....

It shipped Monday.

Sorry for the corn-fusin.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
445 Posts
I have a Will Lipscomb Supra wing set, a Mike Lachowski pod, a goodwinds.com Supra boom and a v-mount of unknown vintage that can slide more than halfway up the boom before it gets snug (I can adapt it to fit).

What I don't have is a source for tail feathers. Kennedy Composites, the only source I know of, doesn't have the molded fin and stabilizer in stock. They do have it in the Supra Pro version in stock. What do you guys think? Will a Supra Pro version fit and fly well with this set up?
Powerbud is offline Find More Posts by Powerbud
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
You could wrap your boom with kevlar, cf, or fg tow and soak with ca untill its the right size.

A supra tail will work fine.

I can build you a set of tailfeathers. Disser stab as above and a kevlar rudder.

Others can please comment.
Last edited by heliwill10; Jan 26, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
France, PACA, Aix-en-Provence
Joined Dec 2007
186 Posts
Powerbud,

With the normal Supra size wings, a supra pro rudder would be fine. They are a bit pricey, but extremely light. If memory serves the supra pro elevator is slightly larger than normal for more agressive pitch behaviour for landing. It is also extremely light (I think about 26 gr). Check the dimensions compared to Will's new stab, as I believe it will be very similar and Will is now down to 33g for his elevator, which is quite frankly, amazing!

You do good work Will!!
Dan Zero-G is offline Find More Posts by Dan Zero-G
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
whatgoesup
USA, NY, Woodbury
Joined May 2010
445 Posts
I started looking at mounting my wing to the pod. I like the plywood bulkheads, as in Drela's plans, because the wing is pulling the bulkheads up against the rounded inside of the fuselage. But with a ballast tube in there the top of the front bulkhead looks pretty small and weak. I also like the plywood inside the top of the pylon as Will did it, so that the wing bolts can't tilt forward on landing. Drela doesn't show that piece of wood in his plans and in his pictures the carbon hides what may be under it. Just to compound the situation, I'd like to use carbon pushrods. Has anyone managed that with this pylon and a ballast tube?
Powerbud is offline Find More Posts by Powerbud
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Mounting.

My current flying supra has a block at the bottom with a threaded rod sticking out. Your right its a tight fit. And only the bottom of the block and maybe a little of the sides is holding your wing on. And I have bent the rod at times.

If you use a blast tube it would be a problem. I will most likely use square ballast in the pylon area. Just started thinking about that today. I've never used ballast. If the wind picks up here its always violently turbulent.

Mike Lachowski. has seen this blog and he says, "I would just use one piece of 3/16 ply for the wing bolts. Cut hole in middle for servo wires. Better structure than two individual pieces And possibly less weight."
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Rudder

Its kinda plain, but light. It measures 14in x 4 x 9in. Standard supra airfoils enlarged 10%.

27 grams

I'm not sure how that compares to a built up. Just remember with my tailfeathers you don't have to make covering repairs
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Mount Rudder to Tailboom.

Update Boom Strength

Here is the overview of the next few posts:

I slide the boom into back half of the pod. No glue, just the tight fit for now. Tape the V-mount into place somewhere on the boom. (dont forget!) We then glue the rudder on, then the V-mount.... Finally glue the boom to the pod with the wing on. That way you have your rudder and stab square and can twist the whole thing to make it sqaure to the wing as the glue dries.... Make sense?

BTW, I'm not left handed. My left is so dumb I can't even hold the camera with it.
Last edited by heliwill10; Feb 01, 2012 at 07:05 AM.