HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:22 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
What a cool thread ...

... I'll be posting some pictures soon, nothing as spectacular as the boys "from down-under" but nice ...

Meanwhile, take a peek at my blog page

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Rossi15

The Engine everyone wanted to own [ well ? ] , the Rossi 15 Fi Re , FF/GY/Combat [ Normal ] , this one is ABC , Double Bubble Head , and very stock except for the DB head .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
258 Posts
Here's a pic of my Drone BB. A little down on comp at present so will make and fit a new piston before I run it.
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:47 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Taipan Series 11

Taipan series 11 , or the Big Ball-race

Held in high regard for its tune-ability , it had two small problems ..
The Rod was a little soft , so once tuned and running hard , the rod tended not to last , the other was the tendency for the crank to spin in the bearings , especially if the bearings gummed up [ castor ]

This engine is a Bitzer . made from bits n pieces ...
Dont recall if I messed with the timings , but put together carefully , used a stronger non Taipan rod(?) [ this one , or the other one ? ] , and loctited the crank to the bearings ..

If mem serves , Nice ! But right about the time , the CS Oli replica made the scene , and no one ran Taipans any more in Vintage A ..

Though in the 1970's the Series 11 was a popular engine , and in latter years a much sought after engine for those wanting to remember the old days ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
Taipan series 11 , or the Big Ball-race

Held in high regard for its tune-ability , it had two small problems ..
The Rod was a little soft , so once tuned and running hard , the rod tended not to last , the other was the tendency for the crank to spin in the bearings , especially if the bearings gummed up [ castor ]

This engine is a Bitzer . made from bits n pieces ...
Dont recall if I messed with the timings , but put together carefully , used a stronger non Taipan rod(?) [ this one , or the other one ? ] , and loctited the crank to the bearings ..

If mem serves , Nice ! But right about the time , the CS Oli replica made the scene , and no one ran Taipans any more in Vintage A ..

Though in the 1970's the Series 11 was a popular engine , and in latter years a much sought after engine for those wanting to remember the old days ..
Isn't this the one with the circlip retaining the gudgeon pin?

There should be a pic of my mint one below, I'm told that the circlip makes them fragile.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Isn't this the one with the circlip retaining the gudgeon pin?

There should be a pic of my mint one below, I'm told that the circlip makes them fragile.

Ray
Thought I forgot something , yeah it had a cir-clip going right around the piston to hold the wrist pin in place , [ Had one NIB but sold it ] , this one is a parts engine , and the piston is a ? John Hunting made one , and originally was intended for a plain bearing Taipan Diesel .. Fragile ? Yeah , something else that needed setting up so as not to cause problems , I ran a S11 with the cir-clip , and never had issue with it , just needed TLC before use

Nice pick up ...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by old4570; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Here's a pic of two of my most prized engines. The one on the left is a 1.5cc Rothwell R150, a modern version of the Oliver Tiger Cub mk1 from 1954. The one on the right is a genuine 1.5cc Oliver Tiger Cub mk2 MOD.

Both are used in Vintage 1/2A Team Racers.

Ray

Last edited by locktite401; Jan 25, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Here's a pic of two of most prized engines. The one on the left is a 1.5cc Rothwell R150, a modern version of the Oliver Tiger Cub mk1 from 1954. The one on the right is a genuine 1.5cc Oliver Tiger Cub mk2 MOD.

Both are used in Vintage 1/2A Team Racers.

Ray

Used to own the MK 1 Cub myself , But traded it for a MK2 and a MK4 Tiger ..

Tony Cincotta had a MK1 with a broken crank and since I had the MK1 at the time he had me make a new crank for his engine .

MK1 Cubs tended to break cranks right where the intake hole was drilled in the crank [ was it 1/4 inch = crank DIA ]

I wanted to buy another MK1 with a broken crank so as to drill the case and put in a larger crank [ so it could be run ]

But the owner did not want to part with his MK1 , so I traded mine for a more usable MK2 Cub + MK4 Tiger

The MK4 was sold at a moment of weakness , but still have the MK2 Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
Used to own the MK 1 Cub myself , But traded it for a MK2 and a MK4 Tiger ..

Tony Cincotta had a MK1 with a broken crank and since I had the MK1 at the time he had me make a new crank for his engine .

MK1 Cubs tended to break cranks right where the intake hole was drilled in the crank [ was it 1/4 inch = crank DIA ]

I wanted to buy another MK1 with a broken crank so as to drill the case and put in a larger crank [ so it could be run ]

But the owner did not want to part with his MK1 , so I traded mine for a more usable MK2 Cub + MK4 Tiger

The MK4 was sold at a moment of weakness , but still have the MK2 Cub
Indeed the originals were of 1/4" diameter and then had an induction hole down the middle. What were they thinking?

The R150 has an 8 mm diameter shaft as did a few of the surviving mk1 Cubs (Imperial equivalent?).

No one seems to know whether the Olivers did a modification on broken engines or if they were a local mod.

I suspect that SMR may have used Stan Pilgrims very quick mk1 as a pattern engine. He was using it in V1/2A just a few years ago.

Ray
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
My view over the back fence..
Australia, NSW, Moree
Joined Sep 2011
73 Posts
Here is a Taipan I DO still have (the only one.... ). Very used and abused as you can see. Bought swapped or scrounged(?) off someone in the 80's. Last run at the Bendigo nationals 90/91 in vintage A team race just to make up the numbers and have some fun.

It has lived in the remains of the model until today..... Where is the icon for *SHAME*???

And can anyone fill me in on the model / year etc. ?
Aussie Steve is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Steve
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:39 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Steve,

It's the Mk 4 from 1959

Details courtesy of MAris Dislers' book on Burford engines.

Regards

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Here is a Taipan I DO still have (the only one.... ). Very used and abused as you can see. Bought swapped or scrounged(?) off someone in the 80's. Last run at the Bendigo nationals 90/91 in vintage A team race just to make up the numbers and have some fun.

It has lived in the remains of the model until today..... Where is the icon for *SHAME*???

And can anyone fill me in on the model / year etc. ?
A 4 ??? , why do I think its a series 3 [ Damn my memory ] , was it 1959 ..

I used to own all of them except for the 9 and 10 ...

I still have one of my RV taipans , used to have 2 ... ill post a picture of mine ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
OK my RV taipan

Best of my Mem . 1959 - Series 3

Single Ball-race , halfway into the front housing , and then supported by the main housing when bolted together [ ball-race ]

I had two , this one and the MK2 [ bolt holes covered up - by doing a mod to the die ] . which I sold .. I kept the MK1 Series 3 since I went to great effort to put it together the way I wanted ..

[ The Series 4 , = Front induction side exhaust , and came with and without depending on MK1 or MK2 a spring starter like the COX engines .. I had both the MK1 and 2 but sold them , still have a junker or two left ]

Hmmm , series VS mark , Gordon made changes as he went along , so I wonder how this engines became the Series 4 ?

Hmmm , I wonder if an extra series has been added , because of the changes GB made , to the best of my Mem this was always the series 3 ..

There were two different Series 1 engines [ MK1 and MK2 ] , then there was the Series 2 , and there were differences there again ... Wish I still had that airborne article from the 70's [ maybe they got it wrong ] ,

But I did have them all bar 2 15 years ago .. , well its the 59 RV
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by old4570; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,031 Posts
Enya 45 model 6001

This is still one of my favourite engines which I bought new back in the late 60's to replace the Merco 35 I'd been using for stunt. Being an early one it has twin rings while later ones from about '71 had a single ring as did the new 60-IIIB which probably influenced the change. After a couple of hundred hours of use it was no longer giving me one flick starts (although once running it was just as good as ever) but a new set of rings cured it .

When the model 6002 was released I bought one but it was no where near as good for CL stunt because of timing changes (RC use) so it got shelved.

As a point of interest, in the entire range of various models of the Enya 45's none of them had the same bore/stroke combinations.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Oliver

Wow , brings back far gone memories [ The word/name Oliver ] , some folks think of the play/ movie Oliver Twist , but for me , memories of reading old Aeromodeller magazines ..

Anything more Nostalgic than 50's to 60's Aeromodellers ?

And the smell of Diesel fuel [ Either Kerosene Castor Oil ] , and watching folk flying around and around , and around [ wow been so long makes me dizzy just thinking about it ]

Anyways , my Oliver Cub MK2
RCG Plus Member