HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
Greg,

The engine you have is an AME Zeus. It was designed for combat so you may find that it needs a smaller prop. You may have noticed that there are no provisions for a muffler. There is an insert for the venturi that will provide better suction.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
210 Posts
The engine was designed for bladder pressure and small props (like 5x3). If you want to run suction and 6" props you have the wrong engine.
Gnu4FF is online now Find More Posts by Gnu4FF
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu4FF View Post
The engine was designed for bladder pressure and small props (like 5x3). If you want to run suction and 6" props you have the wrong engine.
The engine I have is the engine I was given - it was not a matter of choice.

I happened to have a 6X3 prop in my prop box. I'll see what other props are available locally when I get out to the shops.

This whole thing is seeing what we can do with what we've got, not a case of shoulda got somfink else.

Having said that I have been told there is a pressure backplate available from Norvel, and I have yet to remake the head insert.

Thanks all for the replies & hints

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
681 Posts
If you don't have the venturi restrictor, you can make one easily that may not be permanent, but you'll have fun experimenting. You need to remove the spraybar, install the restrictor, snug fitting hardwood will work for a while, then reinstall the spraybar; be sure the hole or holes in the spraybar point in the same direction as the original. The restrictor needs a hole, maybe start with 1/16" on each side of the spraybar. Try enlarging the hole a little at a time. Of couse you could use aluminum or nylon, but the hardwood is quick.

Have fun, that's what this hobby is about!
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
Here's a couple of pics to show the insert:

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:22 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
I recently acquired this handsome (?) little bugger.

Of Indian manufacture, based on a well known English motor. Plain bearing 2.5cc.

An absolute delight, started easily on oldish Olly mix fuel. Tunes over a wide range.

Next question is what to put it in? Oh delightful problems.

Greg
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
296 Posts
Nice one Greg, how about an Ironmonger combat wing. Our old PB PAW .15 used to pull one around very nicely.

Here's my latest toy.

A Fora 09 mk1. The mk2 is available now so these go for peanuts on ebay.

They are a most unusual little engine since they are RIRE. The exhaust is split and the venturi feeds from between these.

They're also drum induction with a push/pull head. Did I mention how small and light they are for a TBR engine? Because of the small shaft, the bearings can be small as well. The whole front end just screws in.

This is the third of these in the MP club and they're intended for 1/2A combat hence the small stubby shaft thread to suit the 6" GF combat props. I don't have any so made a sleeve nut to suit an APC 7x4.

locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Nice one Greg, how about an Ironmonger combat wing. Our old PB PAW .15 used to pull one around very nicely.

Here's my latest toy.

A Fora 09 mk1. The mk2 is available now so these go for peanuts on ebay.

They are a most unusual little engine since they are RIRE. The exhaust is split and the venturi feeds from between these.

They're also drum induction with a push/pull head. Did I mention how small and light they are for a TBR engine? Because of the small shaft, the bearings can be small as well. The whole front end just screws in.

This is the third of these in the MP club and they're intended for 1/2A combat hence the small stubby shaft thread to suit the 6" GF combat props. I don't have any so made a sleeve nut to suit an APC 7x4.

Sweet.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:08 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Ray,

That's a real cute motor. What revs on the APC 7X4?

Greg
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Ray,

That's a real cute motor. What revs on the APC 7X4?

Greg
Haven't been able to run it yet. Too many other things going on.

Maybe on wednesday arvo.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Bilbao - Spain
Joined Jun 2005
88 Posts
in relation about the ZOOM engines from spain, there is a link to a web page that tell the story of the company and the engines made :

http://modelhob.es/mot0.html

they start to made aeromodelling suplies while the country was in a transition from an politicaly excluded regimen to a transition to a democracy ... no imports, only local materials so no comparation to european or american made ones

regards
sukoi is offline Find More Posts by sukoi
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukoi View Post
in relation about the ZOOM engines from spain, there is a link to a web page that tell the story of the company and the engines made :

http://modelhob.es/mot0.html

they start to made aeromodelling suplies while the country was in a transition from an politicaly excluded regimen to a transition to a democracy ... no imports, only local materials so no comparation to european or american made ones

regards
Thank you ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
191 Posts
Hello !

Anybody have pictures of an USE Combat engine ?

Regards, Sebastian
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Maybe here

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglog View Post
Hello !

Anybody have pictures of an USE Combat engine ?

Regards, Sebastian
http://www.go-cl.se/cl.html Maybe here ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570