Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Apparently it's actually Ritm but sometimes called Rythm. Here's a bit of information about them.
A good read ... Thanks
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
Little Marvin on the Throttle

I fly the airplane and Little Marvin controls the Throttle.

The model is a Super Ringmaster powered by an OS 25 FSR.
My Universal U/Tronics Control Handle I use to fly it.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is online now Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Jul 31, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Wow

Was kind of hoping this thread would be self perpetuating ..

My latest : K&B 15 series 72 Wanted one for the longest time !

Ebay auction - Engine was from the Joe Bridi collection :

I would have thought there were more engines out there :
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Yes the thread has faded a bit.

Here's my TBR CS 09 diesel. I dug it out of the shed yesterday for another reason. I may give it a bit of a run tomorrow. It's been put away since the mid 90's. Very powerful for a 1.5cc diesel. CS made these scaled down Rossi's in 09 Diesel and glow and .11 size diesel and glow to suit various competition classes.

Interestingly this one is from a batch where the liner (ABC combination) is made of a Beryllium/Copper Bronze (Be/Cu) alloy rather that the more common Brass (Cu/Zn).

It shows up in the engine starting. From cold it requires about 40 or so flicks before it abruptly bursts into life. Once it's warmed up hot starting is excellent. Must be to do with a mismatched expansion and contraction rates between the Aluminium alloy piston and the chromed Be/Cu liner.

There's quite a few of these around in Australia. They were used in 1/2A team racing (09 diesel) and Class 1 speed (.11 Glows) during the 90's.
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Wow

Very nice , I had a glow and diesel myself a very long time ago ..[ CS 09 ] also another Chinese Fi Re 1.5cc , forget the name , [ Not CS ] as well a few Chinese [ Not CS ] 2.5cc Fi Re glow motors ...

I visit the CS web site from time to time , and really need to spend some money there one of these days ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,063 Posts
Okay guys, here's a story.

I got given a pile of old junk by the club's old secretary as he knows I'm into old engines.

I look inside, and amougst a few testors 049's a fuji 09 and a babe bee, there's a taipan.

All these engines are so encursted in gunk that they look more brown that metal. I also learned that there had been one of those big alkaline batteries for glow that had leaked in the same box. the two testors motors were heavily corroded. Shame really

ANyway I set to cleaning the other engines. As it turns out the fuji is also cactus, as the iron piston is rusted onto the bore. The taipain however....

After some cleaning I noticed it had a gold head. Wowee! It's a taipain 2.5 gold head!

More cleaning, some heating, and some dissasembly shows no real detrimental wear, but some heavy patina on the outside, and a crook front bearing.

The only problem now, is there's no muffler. Anyone happen to have a muffler for a taipan? (rear exhaust).
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:08 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Okay guys, here's a story.

I got given a pile of old junk by the club's old secretary as he knows I'm into old engines.

I look inside, and amougst a few testors 049's a fuji 09 and a babe bee, there's a taipan.

All these engines are so encursted in gunk that they look more brown that metal. I also learned that there had been one of those big alkaline batteries for glow that had leaked in the same box. the two testors motors were heavily corroded. Shame really

ANyway I set to cleaning the other engines. As it turns out the fuji is also cactus, as the iron piston is rusted onto the bore. The taipain however....

After some cleaning I noticed it had a gold head. Wowee! It's a taipain 2.5 gold head!

More cleaning, some heating, and some dissasembly shows no real detrimental wear, but some heavy patina on the outside, and a crook front bearing.

The only problem now, is there's no muffler. Anyone happen to have a muffler for a taipan? (rear exhaust).
unfortunately - getting a little rare .....
I have more gold tops than mufflers - 2 mufflers maybe between 5+ engines .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,063 Posts
I have a pipe from an old ST 15 that I'm thinking of making a header to suit the taipan.

Only thing then is I'll need an airframe worth of a screaming 15!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:34 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmmm

Quote:
I have a pipe from an old ST 15 that I'm thinking of making a header to suit the taipan.

Only thing then is I'll need an airframe worth of a screaming 15!
If you fly RC , a nice classic QM model , For C/L , ?? tougher , a decent stunt model - 60's 70's classic ...

Wasn't there a shoe string stunt model ?

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:39 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Hey, Oldy, that shoestring looks like the 35 size stunter. There is a 15 size Goodyear version on the Thunderbirds site
http://www.thunderbirds.org.au/image...shoestring.pdf

Regards

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:21 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,033 Posts
Quote:
There's essentially two versions of the Taipan 2.5 Gold Head. The early version had a smaller width rear bearing so the crankcase mould was extended slightly to accept the wider rear bearing of later engines. I've got photos of the two types back in post #18 so you can identify which version you've got. The small bearing engines are a bit rare because there weren't too many of them made.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:15 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Hey, Oldy, that shoestring looks like the 35 size stunter. There is a 15 size Goodyear version on the Thunderbirds site
http://www.thunderbirds.org.au/image...shoestring.pdf

Regards

Greg
Sure is , 19 to 35 ...

A good 15 like a gold top will pull it around , use about 50 foot lines , and build it light . [ It needs to be light ]

Must be like 20 year ago I seen the Shoe string pulled around by a 2.5cc , and it flew fine [ pro build , and it was light ] , + it was the 19 to 35 size ...

Ever since seeing that , I wanted to build a stunt model with a RV Rossi 15 up front with a pipe [ I have a slow pipe - Holds 15,000RPM ] so the plan was to run something like a 8x4 , [ Russian Pipe , came with a nasty awful Russian speed motor I got at one of the Nats = never ran worth a spit , case was soft as butter , basically junk ]

But yeah , 50 foot lines , 2.5cc , model of about 35 to 40 inch span !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:50 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,063 Posts
Quote:
There's essentially two versions of the Taipan 2.5 Gold Head. The early version had a smaller width rear bearing so the crankcase mould was extended slightly to accept the wider rear bearing of later engines. I've got photos of the two types back in post #18 so you can identify which version you've got. The small bearing engines are a bit rare because there weren't too many of them made.
Why don't I do it the easy way?

Here's the engine after a bath.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Why don't I do it the easy way?

Here's the engine after a bath.
OK, that's the second version, the plastic backplate is a give-away too . It also has a stronger crankshaft than the earlier ones.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
286 Posts
Quote:
OK, that's the second version, the plastic backplate is a give-away too . It also has a stronger crankshaft than the earlier ones.

Not the story I'd heard. I understand it to be the other way round. That said they all break crankshafts and there are probably hundreds sitting in drawers around the world with broken crankpins etc.

An Enya 15 or ASP 15 crank can be made to fit and a local is planning a run of replacement high strength cranks.
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401