HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Ok

Here is a NIB Dunham Engineering Elfin 2.49 replica ..

Dont know what happen to the factory needle , but currently wears an OS one .

Been a while since posting a picture , busy at School [ advanced diploma in software development ]

Come on guys , surely a few more digital cameras out there
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
OS Max-II 29

Here are my 2 versions of the OS Max-II 29's. The one on the left is the first version which replaced the original Max-I and the other is kind of a transitional version leading up to the Max-III and was marketed in America as the Combatnik, apparently a play on Sputnik. The main difference is that the "combatnik" seems to have the larger diameter crankshaft as used in the Max-III which meant a new crankcase casting but still not the same as the later Max-III. Actually my large crank version has the wrong prop driver (from a Max-III) because the original looks the same except had a sand blasted finish instead of machined.

I must admit that when I first got them I'd only ever had Max-III's so I thought they were Max-I seeing they only had Max on the transfer side. My figuring was that if OS brought out a new engine line then why call the first one Max-I indicating that there was going to be a replacement later on? Wrong! For whatever reason, the Max-II (29 and 35) wasn't marked as such although the 15 was marked as Max-II.

I might add that the large crank version isn't shown on the OS Timeline page.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Moki M5

While not strictly a CL engine, although it is now after I made a venturi with an ST needle valve , this old Moki is very similar to a Merco 61. There's almost no mention of them anywhere so I don't know when they were made although I've read somewhere they only made about 1400 of them. On the test stand it started first flick and ran very much like a Merco or Enya 60 but poured fuel out through the front bearing like you wouldn't believe. It'd been a bear of an engine to strip and re-assemble (the wrist pin had to be removed through the large screw at the back of the crankcase) but some judicious heat at the front and some careful jiggling on the crankshaft allowed me to remove the front bearing with the engine assembled and then fit a fully sealed front bearing with just the front seal still in place.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Wow

Nice Moki ...

Used to have a Merco 61 , a nice engine ...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Mercos

OK, I gathered together all my Mercos for a family photo .

Top left is a .61 Mk2 (light case, twin plugs), centre is a .49 Black Streak (heavy case and brand new) and on the right is a sentimental favourite, a .49 Mk1 (light case, single plug) which is believed to be the first big Merco ever sold. It was given to me by the original owner in Tennessee who bought it the day they were first delivered to a hobby shop in London. He was actually in the shop the day before having a cuppa with the owner when the Merco rep came in to say they'd be delivered the next day. It's been well used but still has the most incredible piston seal I've ever felt with a ringed engine. Starts with one flick naturally .

Bottom left is an early .35 with the cast venturi, centre is newly acquired .35 Black Streak and right is a slightly later early .35 which can be either RC or CL.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:26 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Wow

Have we run out of engines ?
Surely not !!!

Here is one of the nicest little engines ever ! and I mean ever ...

The Taipan 1.5cc TBR

What a sweet motor , at one time I would have had 5 or 6 of these little jewels .
But being , silly , I obviously parted with them .. except for the last one (pictured)

This was the cream of the crop , this sample would run on WD40 , I kid you not .
A good one would run as well as an oliver cub , this one should have kept Taipan in Business for many years , was a great little engine .

Oh well ! Probably for the collectors now ..

Come on guys , share ! take some snaps , must be thousands of engines out there wanting there picture taken for posterity .

Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Name: SAM_1388.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 175.1 KB
Description: Name: Lil Satan-RR1.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 84.4 KB
Description:
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Is that a Cox RR-1?
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...rr_1_parts.jpg
RR1 .049 (0.8 cm³)

Manufactured in 1957-1965 (#390)

At first glance, the RR1 looks like a fancy Golden Bee with small groves on the blue anodized tank and on the nose of the crankcase. The disassembly reveals the twin bypass cylinder and the rear rotary valve intake, which was used instead of the reed valve, typical for the Bee type engines. As you can see on the photo, there was no spring starter. Production ended in 1965 and later engine designs reverted again to the simpler and cheaper reed valve induction system.
During the first two years of production these engines came with a silver crankcase like the first sample shown (1957-1958). Later, the crankcase was anodized yellow which contrasts nicely with the dark blue tank.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
The RR1 never came with a muffler either. The muffler is now in my parts box, but the spring remains, as my twisted old fingers have taken enough punishment after a lifetime of cranking engines. I know the collectors cringe when I fly this engine, but I'm especially careful with it and only fly it when there is not too much wind. It's seriously faster than a Bee. I haven't flown it without the muffler yet.
Here it is in action if you haven't seen in in one of my threads:
http://youtu.be/wXL2t4eKn-I?hd=1
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Very zippy, thank for the video
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 14, 2012, 01:28 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Ok

Been a while ...

I still have more engines to post pictures off , but been busy with school n stuff .

Here is a recent acquisition : From Ebay , a RV Diesel , 2.5cc , other than that dont know much about it , a little knocked around ( storage rash ? ) as the internals are MINT - UN RUN ...

Dont know if it would be Vintage A legal ? , might be ok for Diesel combat ?

either way was cheap enough , and the seller had sold quite a few ...

Come on guys , must be at least a million engines out there wanting there picture taken ?
Old May 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
410 Posts
Recently emigrated from UK to Australia.

Elfin 1.49 looking for a suitable home, any suggestions?

I'm thinking a Rascal but not set in stone.

Regards

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old May 14, 2012, 06:08 AM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
Hello !

Your Russian Gem is a "Rithm" diesel. Its a younger version, should be from the late sixties.
Older Versions have a 4 Screw head and backplate.

Was used as Free flight or TR engine.
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Old May 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglog View Post
Hello !

Your Russian Gem is a "Rithm" diesel. Its a younger version, should be from the late sixties.
Older Versions have a 4 Screw head and backplate.

Was used as Free flight or TR engine.
late 60's , thank you ( thought it might be 70's ) ...
Old May 15, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Apparently it's actually Ritm but sometimes called Rythm. Here's a bit of information about them.