HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Discussion
My first FPV machine - could experienced guys have a quick look over?

Howdy...

I've been lurking on FPV forums like on RCgroups for a long time now, but I've finally decided I can't avoid it anymore and I need to have a go. Hopefully the info I've absorbed will help, and here's the fruits of my labour!

It's taken me a while to build as I waited for bits and bobs, which gave me time to think about layout I suppose, but finally tonight I finished it off and test hovered it in the lounge just because I couldn't wait lol. So mechanically the thing flies - I have managed to get the motors spinning in the correct direction and so on. Now I'll be the first to admit it's been done on a budget, and I wanted to keep things simple, but I'm hoping it'll do for a first go - being my first FPV machine though I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could take a look over it to make sure I haven't made any stupid newbie mistakes.

Now I'm operating this from 2.4ghz, so I know I can't fly across the channel with it, but at the moment I'm only interested in relatively close in stuff. To that end I've installed a TM1000 and hooked up the datalink with an alarm to tell me if I start getting holds or lost frames in case I get too adventurous and try to fly away...

So it's a Scorpion Y650 multicopter running:

- Turnigy SK3 1020kv motors
- HK SS series 25-30A ESCs
- Eagle N6 control board (basically A KK board with MEMS gyros instead of piezo)
- Spektrum AR8000 Rx
- Spektrum TM1000 Telemetry
- Turnigy 2450mah 3S 30C lipo

Video Link:

- 5.8Ghz Immersion RC tx
- Fatshark Predator all-in-one Goggles
- 1 x 5.8ghz Windmill CP antenna on Rx
- 1 x 5.8ghz Fan CP antenna on Tx
- GoPro HD with a cable for live out

I'm hoping to get the first (non-FPV) test flight in tomorrow, then if all goes well maybe try out the FPV side of things. Ultimately I want to add a small cockpit on the nose section with a head tracking cam and a small dashboard, but for now I'm just sticking with a fixed position GoPro for simplicity.

Cheers for any thoughts! Oh and the Carbon plate holding the ESC's at the back will be replaced with something non-carbon asap. Just didn't have anything suitable.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Gosh dude, thats a fine looking rig for your first FPV ship .... most people start smaller and cheaper because the chance of crashing during your first few fpv flights is fairly high.
All that framework could become carbon splinters very quickly!!
The best of luck with it!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
It's not carbon, it's nice flexible nylon....

The airframe was only about $90, so even a complete write off wouldn't be expensive. I'm sure it's pretty tough though - the individual frames are flexible and strong.

Never was one to start small though lol....
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:14 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
FPV setup looks fine. You generally don't need HT with a copter, because you
can just yaw it as needed. Some folks add tilt for A/V or A/P apps but rarely needed for
normal FPV piloting.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
looks great man. and that frame is absolutely sexy. my buddy just got some of hugo's CP's nad he's also running the preds. we're gonna hit a night flight with them tomorrow

have fun buddy!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Yeah I just went with CP from the off - I had read so much about them on here I thought I might as well get some from the start

Cheers guys, so no stupid mistakes noticed yet lol. I just replaced the carbon bar at the back with a plastic part, the carbon plate was in just the right place to shadow the satellite from behind so I thought I better replace sooner rather than later.

I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who put so much info out into this forum, I feel like I learned a lot just reading the posts here even without any direct experience myself.

Now here's hoping tomorrow goes well!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:27 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Yah ok not cf, still looks sweet!
All the best for the maiden man, i expect video tomorrow!!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Thanks!

First flight or two will just be trying out flying it normally and getting the gains dialled in. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try FPV tomorrow too though!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:13 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,522 Posts
I'm a FPV newbie myself... been flying my Quad for a little while now and just ordered a very similar FPV set-up... I will be watching and hoping for your success... and mine too in another week or so!
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,064 Posts
Wow! is that thing sweet looking! Nice job!

You have any copter experience?

I have been flying my quad for just under a month now and recently have done about 6 FPV flights. Its a lot trickier then these guys on this forum make it look. My quad is a cheap wooden frame with easily replaceable wooden arms. It was recommended to me as a first quad and I am thankful for it. Otherwise crashing something like yours I probably would still be on the field in tears. Best of luck to you. Your vested now so no turning back. Can't wait to hear your report back. You have me interested in that frame now Lol!
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Yeah I've been flying heli's for a couple of years now, more seriously for about a year. I have several heli's ranging from a brushless mCP X to a T-Rex 600 Pro and thought it was about time to go FPV!

I'm far from a crack heli pilot, but I can do stuff like loops/rolls/stall turns/tail slides/inverted/backwards flight/rainbows & Tick tocks and so on. Flying this thing from the "outside" is going to be no problem, flying it from inside will be a novel experience! I do fly real scale stuff though, so I'm hoping those thousands of hours sat in a real flight deck might help!

Today is the day when I find out anyway lol.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:59 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,736 Posts
Thats a fine looking multi for your first fpv ship. Make sure you know your flight times before you fpv and use a timer. Its very easy to get carried away when you start out fpv'n and run out of battery. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cruisy Quad Flight
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Well, today's plans did not go well lol...

Did a first flight around the garden just to get the thing flying... Bit different flying a quad but quickly got used to it.

Second flight, and one of my ESCs appears to have died - the motor doesn't spin properly and just flicks around the place. Plugged in one of the other ESCs and the motor works fine so I guess it's definitely the esc that's toast.

I also used 80% of my battery in just over 5 mins, so guess I'll be needing bigger batteries!

The ESCs are backordered at HK now too, so can't replace quickly....
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
.......................the motor doesn't spin properly and just flicks around the place.........
That sounds like what happens when one of the three wires to the motor comes off. Check the solder joints and stuff, might be just a bad contact or something.... but yeah could also be toast.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I've stripped it off and replaced with a spare castle 25A I had long around - I'll do a post modem on the ESC later. I admit it does sound like a broken contact but they seemed okay.