HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Discussion
Free flight '30 min.' PC fan hovercraft

I saw numerous videos of simple PC fan hovercrafts, but only a few used a skirt. PC fans are not the best choice for hovercrafts, but it made me more curious. So here is my version:

PC fan hovercraft ground clearance test (0 min 27 sec)

It's able to glide over 1-2 cm high obstacles.

Gabriel
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
Last edited by RdsG; Jan 09, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Thanks for posting that is cool.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Thanks!

I just finished my round the pole model. It's powered by 12V 10W cooling fan (140 CFM). Its skirt is "C" type in front and on the sides, "bag" type on the rear.

Round the pole hovercraft model (1 min 27 sec)

Gabriel

Edit: photos, drawings: http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...br/hovercraft/
Last edited by RdsG; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:43 AM View Post
Danny Crawford
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Round wall/cell skirt hovercraft model test:

The air gap in the front is smaller (~2 mm) than the rear air gap (~4mm), so the difference of the air spillage propels the model. Skirt is made of leatherette.

Round the pole hovercraft model wall skirt test (1 min 15 sec)

Gabriel
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
My first model was a radio shack brushed motor running off a 9 volt battery with a hand carved balsa propeller mounted in a piece of foam.

I just got the Hobby King Hoverjet and I'm a little disappointed. Not because it doesn't work well, just that it's terrain handling capabilities are just so limited. I like hovercraft because they can go from water to land and cover semi rough terrain. The Hoverjet was built for speed on perfectly flat ground.

My next one will have an extremely high skirt with a squirrel cage life fan and probably 2 low KV counter rotating propellers.
Kai Wren is offline Find More Posts by Kai Wren
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Wren View Post
My first model was a radio shack brushed motor running off a 9 volt battery with a hand carved balsa propeller mounted in a piece of foam.

I just got the Hobby King Hoverjet and I'm a little disappointed. Not because it doesn't work well, just that it's terrain handling capabilities are just so limited. I like hovercraft because they can go from water to land and cover semi rough terrain. The Hoverjet was built for speed on perfectly flat ground.

My next one will have an extremely high skirt with a squirrel cage life fan and probably 2 low KV counter rotating propellers.
I think you should make a skirt for your Hoverjet. It's a great opportunity to experiment with different type of skirts. Only a few mm high skirt will dramatically increase its terrain handling capabilities, but you can make a really high skirt...

Gabriel
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Terraplane

Experiment with Terraplane-like hovercraft.
Propulsion provided by enlarged air gap at the rear.

Terraplane Hovercraft round the pole test (1 min 59 sec)

Gabriel