SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Lots of progress! Had those parts laser cut and I'm currently installing them into the front of the plane. Also assembled the fuel tank mount.
lucyf-18 is offline Find More Posts by lucyf-18
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Nov 2009
224 Posts
Man u r flying. Looks amazing.
cbriggs11 is offline Find More Posts by cbriggs11
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Are we having fun yet? It is an amazing thing to be able to draw all those parts up in cad and to have a friend with a lazer cutter. Life is good! You're doing a great job Ken. I cant figure out why this thread doesnt send me an alert when a new post is made. What am I doing wrong? Saw Red Tails yesterday. Great movie. Got my warbird juices flowing. Every one should check it out.
crashman1432 is offline Find More Posts by crashman1432
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman1432 View Post
Are we having fun yet? It is an amazing thing to be able to draw all those parts up in cad and to have a friend with a lazer cutter. Life is good! You're doing a great job Ken. I cant figure out why this thread doesnt send me an alert when a new post is made. What am I doing wrong? Saw Red Tails yesterday. Great movie. Got my warbird juices flowing. Every one should check it out.
Try top bar at the right, "Thread Tools", then click on subscribe. It will ask you what type of notification if any. If It only says "Unsubscribe", then unsubscribe, then when the page refreshes click back on subscribe and choose the notification type.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Ok fellow Cessna followers! Does any body have any recommendations for some really heavy duty push/pull rods? They need to be very strong since the elevators are very large. They need to also have very stout linkage ends. All the ones I see are for lighter planes. I found some really nice ones from central hobbies but they are only 38". I need 48" or else Ill just have to move the servos back in the airplane to reach them.

Also, Lots of work has to be done before any more pics show up. I need to get the elevator and rudder linkage in before I can start sheeting the fuse. I also need to get the back of the firewall fuel proofed then figure out the door on the left side before I can sheet the front. Anybody have any recommendations for fuel proofing the back of the firewall?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Maybe you could try a pull pull system instead of pushrods, it's lighter and can be any length you need. If you're set on pushrods, you might try carbon tubes, with smaller OD tubes epoxied inside to make them longer.

They'd have to be pretty substantial sized tubes though.

And for fuel proofing, I've seen thinned epoxy painted on, but I can't say it's the best way, as I'm not into fuel.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Maybe you could try a pull pull system instead of pushrods, it's lighter and can be any length you need. If you're set on pushrods, you might try carbon tubes, with smaller OD tubes epoxied inside to make them longer.

They'd have to be pretty substantial sized tubes though.

And for fuel proofing, I've seen thinned epoxy painted on, but I can't say it's the best way, as I'm not into fuel.
I think that pull/pull is gonna have to be the way to go. Its just to much distance. And like you said It will save weight. I'll have to install a joiner in between the elevators and put a pull/pull on each elevator. I have a friends cub that is setup this way and it seems to work well. I guess Ill use two servos, one for each elevator half, maybe since the 2 servos are pull/pull, I wont have to use a match box on them. The terrible illustration below shows how that cub is setup.

Thanks for the Input!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
What a sexy machine...

Cessna Stationair Promo (2 min 49 sec)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Parts are on the way! Until my stuff comes in I'm pretty much dead in the water. I'm out of fiberglass, sandpaper, epoxy....

I ordered the parts to set up the linkage and hinge the elevator. My fellow flyer with his cub was kind enough to send me his pics on how he setup his elevator and rudder linkage.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I'm kinda liking the cargo pod, I might incorporate it into my plane
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I think if you do the cargo pod you should have it bolt on, so you can remove it.
I can't see it working out well on all runway conditions.

This build is looking fantastic btw
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Thanks for the input, I would agree that the cargo pod would have to be removable, and I would imagine it would need to come after the maiden.

Parts are en route to the house! Next week should be very productive. This is the order in which I intend to proceed. And the things I would like to get done next week.

- Finish other elevator half, sand, glass, prime.

- Join the 2 elevators w/aluminum tube. And hinge onto stab.

- Install control horns

- setup pull/pull

- design servo mounts/trays on CAD. And cut holes into the formers for the cables.

- Draw a Left door in CAD and figure out door frame on left side (right side of plane will be sheeted w/no door)

- Make all the misc. parts in CAD for the laser.

Then De-rig the plane and start sanding and prepping the stringers for sheeting! That's when it'll look like an airplane!!!!

oh btw if yall are wondering if this plane has wings, it does I'm just saving the most IMPORTANT part of the build for last. I'm thinking once I get the Fuse roughly sheeted then start laying out the wing. I'll be honest, I haven't had very good luck with wing building in the past so I might get some help from my fellow builder because I want the wing perfect. I'll post details on wing construction once all the above work is done.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:08 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Installed the hinges on one elevator, Hopefully that will be enough throw. I had to sand down the piece of balsa that comes out and cover the hinge gap because it was limiting the throw.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:10 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I also started drawing up the mount that holds the servos and gas tank. As you can see in the screen shot these parts are alot to keep up with, all those tabs have to lock together
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:07 AM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Got The last elevator glassed on one side, also test fitted the door components on poster board. Also put filler on the Vert Stab LE to start cleaning that up. hopefully I can get the Vert Stab glassed this weekend.

On the pic with the door, you can see the balsa sheeting tapped on, the piece laying on the table it the 1/8" ply structure that goes behind the door. This door was hard to draw bc it has a compound curve at the bottom.