Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:49 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Build Log
Cessna U206

Building a 107.5" Cessna U206, This model is a short kit provided from http://www.camdencustomcutters.com/. These guys have very good customer support and provide help/advice through out the project. As a 25 year old student pilot who fly's the Cessna birds I was extremely interested in this model. In essence, its a stretched out 182. This plane is being built to eventually be a float plane after the maiden. Subscribe and follow, and please post any suggestions or knowledge from your experience. Any help is much appreciated! This project has already started but I'll continue to update every step of the way.
lucyf-18 is offline Find More Posts by lucyf-18
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
This plane is built just like the real one with internal formers and externally stressed 3/32" sheeting. The first 2 main formers are 6061T aluminum sandwiched between 2 balsa formers, these formers have tabs on the top and bottom which is for wing attachments and strut attachments. I drew the parts up in CAD and had someone cut these parts with a water jet machine. The aluminum formers can be seen in between the balsa formers. Jigs are used to properly space the formers as it was built.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Heavy Duty Firewall!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Excuse the rush but I'm trying to catch up to the current step. More pics show the progress as the plane grows from the front to the back. Last pic shows the tail block pinned as it glues. Next step are the stab components.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:21 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Vertical stab being framed. Its covered with 1/8" sheeting.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:23 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Horiz stab progress. It is also covered with 1/16" sheeting.
Last edited by lucyf-18; Feb 07, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Justin S
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
sub'd
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
557 Posts
Very nice project Kennedy. Subscribed.................. Bob R.
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Ditto that, Bob. Looks like a really nice kit.
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Hey Ken,
Boy you made a lot of progress in one day, Ha! Subscribed and eagerly watching your progress.
Charles
crashman1432 is offline Find More Posts by crashman1432
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Gear Legs are made of 1/4" soft aluminum. I milled them down to a taper then bent the curves with a pair of pliers in a vise. Then I put a simple curved LE on them with a belt sander, then gray primer. They are on the sideline for now since they are minor compared to the rest of the plane. Fixed gear sure does make a simple build compared to one of those large warbirds!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:09 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I'm trying to have multiple stages of the plane moving forward at once. Another project are the firewall supports. This is one flaw this kit has. Me and my fellow flyers agree that this area needs a structure in it to hold a 55cc engine. I have drawn up gussets in CAD. The attached PDF shows the cut file for 1/8" ply.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:20 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
To double check the CAD work I printed them out and glued them to poster board, Then I cut them out and test fitted them into the airplane. Their was one mistake that I had to fix but for the most part they fit pretty good.

Explanation on how these work:

1. Large Ring is epoxied and bolted to the back of the firewall, Tabs and dashed circles that you see contain blind nuts for these bolts.

2. "Bottom Gusset" tabs into the bottom of that ring. This gusset has large notches to grab the first former, actually hugging it.

3. "Top Gusset" tabs into the top of that ring. this gusset also grabs on to the first former.

4. "Instrument Panel" slides down into these gussets further locking these in places and also providing aesthetics. Interior detail will be very little if any.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I also created a mount for the 20 oz tank. It has places for Velcro straps to hold it down. I also left room for the foam that the tank sits on. I put a Cessna logo on it so hopefully the laser can burn that in. I will most likely add 4 small bolts with blind nuts underneath that large undercarriage plate. I like for my parts to be removable for future repair and service. I was told to put the tank directly under the CG so it will have no effect on the balance regardless how much fuel it has. It will also be 1/8" ply.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
Columbia, SC
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I glassed the horiz stab with the Minwax polycyclic and .5 oz cloth. So here is what I learned to do. Take primer filler and fill in the weave on the fiberglass. Then sand down to find low spots. Then take Bondo and lightly spread it on the surface. Then sand and repeat until it looks smooth. The gray primer you see will get sanded down to a glassy finish then I get to hinge the elevators. Found the info here http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/paint/primerputty.htm

You can almost see the structure just from the low spots. This is the first time ever building something like this so I'm not surprised. I should of weighted the sheeting down better. I here magazines are good about applying a even load while the glue dries. That's what I'm using right now to hold down the sheeting on the elevators. Btw, im not using that wood plane on this part in the pic