SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
Canada, ON, Welland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Hey guys,

The first few kits have been cut, and I'm headed to pick up the first batch this weekend. I'd like to get an idea of demand so that I know how many shipping boxes to get and how much wood to drop off for the next batch. Please post a reply if you're likely to buy a kit.

Thanks,
Eric
I'm in for one.
Technoweenie is offline Find More Posts by Technoweenie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
Geotete

I'll order a plywood pod from Rocketman1092 but I'd love to also get one of yours made of CF if you intend to sell it in the future.
Hello,

Mine was made based on the V1 from Rocketman1092, and now the version goes in 3 or 4, so you have a LOT of reasons to go with the one from Rocketman1092.
The design and property is all from Rocketman1092, and I will preserve that!
The one that I have was sent by a RCG user in PDF and then I converted to Autocad, I asked to a member in this thread, that already had one, to confirm the measurements, without any answer from him, so this one has my measurements.
I sent the file to a company to do this job in Taiwan and a week later I had the pod with me.
Like I said before I really needed this pod to fly with everything that I have on my setup, that's it, nothing more!
If Rocketman1092 have any intention on selling also a version on CF I will provide the contact information to him, plywood is great but a alternative in CF it's even better and cheaper!

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Last edited by geotete; Jun 07, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
703 Posts
I am in Canada.. can't be that much than the US shipping costs.
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:22 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
I am in Canada.. can't be that much than the US shipping costs.
Just checked postage costs online - you're right, it looks like there won't be any extra cost to ship to Canada.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Picked up some kits this morning, and more are on the way! As you can see, these have retained the curved shape of the original design, but now have compatiblity with the pan/tilt module that ReadyMadeRC sells. That way, people interested in pan/tilt will have an easy, drop-in solution. I need to assemble one to check parts fit, then write instructions and pick up some mounting hardware and packing material. If all goes well, I'll have kits in the mail around the middle of the week. I'll post ordering information when everything is ready to go.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
703 Posts
I'll put my name in for one thanks.
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:23 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Put together one of the pod kits. Everything looks to be in order, and it fits into the plane nicely. Mounting hardware will be here tomorrow, then I'll be able to accept & ship orders. Each kit will include all of the laser cut parts, a thumb screw and blind nut for mounting, and an instructions page.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Hey guys,

I got the packing materials and mounting hardware today. I've gone with a nylon thumbscrew, which I'm pretty impressed with. Threads into the blind nut nicely, and no screwdriver required.

Anyway, I've got all of the kits from batch #1, but the wood turned out to be slightly thicker than 1/8". I've ordered different stock for the second batch, and that'll be delivered tomorrow. If anyone doesn't mind the extra thickness and would like to purchase one of the kits that's done now, send me a PM. The parts still fit together, they just need some persuasion here and there. I still have to write a quick instructions sheet, but I could ship these first kits on Friday morning. Otherwise, kits cut from the new wood will trickle in throughout next week.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Heidelberg
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
Congrats on the design Rocketman,

Seems that everything is patience in this game.

Some noob questions if I may - you may cover end covering these in the instructions;

a) will the unit fit into the PNP Sky Surfer? or perhaps it is relatively simple task to split the fuse?

b) I don't think I saw any autopilot units in the images on this thread. I'm looking to instal FY31AP into the aircraft. Presumably your unit would provide a suitable base if vibration is minimised.

MJ
D.AER_MJ is offline Find More Posts by D.AER_MJ
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Hi MJ,

The pod will fit into the PNP Sky Surfer as long as it's the "V1" with the servos embedded in the fuselage walls. The later versions of the plane have servos mounted towards the middle of the fuselage and aren't suitable. There's no need to split the fuselage to install the pod, since the required cut is just an extension of the original canopy floor. You may also need to secure some of the wiring inside the fuselage so it doesn't interfere with the battery tray.

Installing an autopilot unit will be no problem - the pod is a snug fit and doesn't have any slop when mounted to the airplane. I'm using an Eagle Tree Guardian unit, which I've mounted to the pod with a zip tie and a couple pieces of foam double-sided tape.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to throw my .02 in:

I originally went with a blind nut mechanism to hold the pod in. However, even with balsa reinforcement, the foam tended to fatigue a bit and I wasn't comfortable with the having to screw it down all the time just to switch packs or adjust the CG.

I sought out an alternative and I think I've found a great alternative: I used the Scotch brand "Dual Lock Re-closeable Fasteners". If you haven't seen this stuff, it is amazing. Similar to velcro with interlocking sides, but the strength is amazing and it is not really compatible with velcro. I picked some up from the local Staples store. I'd already used a couple of pieces to hold my wings together and that works great. When the strips are aligned and you apply pressure, an audible click signals that the fasteners are doing their thing - and it requires a fair bit of force to get it to release.

For the pod, I used 8 pieces, cut to 1cm x 2cm. Removed the adhesive backing for a shallow 1mm profile total. That took some time and soaking in denatured alcohol and scraping with an old blade. After the adhesive was removed, I lined up the pieces and marked on the foam the 4 spots where I would mount them. Used a fresh blade to carefully cut and shave out ~1mm depth slots to place the pieces. Used gorilla brand CA to attach them and let them set. After they set and cured, I mated the other 4 strips to their pairs and used CA to bond the mates to the pod assembly, being extremely careful not to accidentally glue the pieces together! Let them set and cure and then remove the pod and verify everything was attached properly. I then hit the contact points of all 8 pieces of the fasteners with some thin CA to make sure they were not going to accidentally release.

Now when I am preparing to fly, I simply Click the pod into position and goes nowhere! The very few rough landings I've had, the pod has never released and I am very confident that this is a durable long-term solution.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Hey guys,

Saw a test piece cut from the new material, and it's looking great. The new wood is not as thick as the old batch and is easier for the laser to cut. I was supposed to have kits on hand today, but the files needed to be adjusted for the narrower wood. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. In the meantime, I have one kit from the old material still available.

ToxicToast - Good advice, I'll have to check out the Dual Lock fasteners. I'm quite happy with the thumb screw & blind nut mechanism I'm including with the pod kits, but your suggestion sounds like it'd be a good alternative for people wanting faster installation and removal.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Heidelberg
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
I'm kinda thinking that maybe I should purchase the remaining heavier one given timelines at my end. I'm heading bush for 2 months on the 28th.

But even then freight to Australia will take too long probably.

Are you set up with Paypal or similar?

MJ
D.AER_MJ is offline Find More Posts by D.AER_MJ
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Hi MJ,

No problem, I can send you one of the first-batch pods if you'd like. The extra wood thickness really isn't such a big deal anyway. I'll pack one up when I'm home from work later this afternoon, and I've PM'd you my PayPal information. Not sure how long shipping to Austrailia would take, but hopefully it'll get to you in time.

Eric
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON, Welland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Received mine and put it together today. Everything fit perfectly with no modifications needed. I cleaned up a bit of the laser cuts and removed the laser burning a bit with a swipe of sand paper to get a good surface for glue. Took five minutes to glue everything together with wood glue. Kit went together perfectly square with no alignment issues. Only thing to be aware of is that the battery tray is too long for an EasyStar but I knew that when ordering. The Bixler has a much deeper battery bay that goes further into the fuselage. No big deal as I trimmed the lower insert part to fit. All in all a solid kit.

Should mention too, fast shipping and great instructions as well!

Regards,
Bryan VE3OYN
"Technoweenie"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it is broke, deny everything.
Technoweenie is offline Find More Posts by Technoweenie