HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Subscribed. I don't have a bixler yet but I am definitely interested in getting one of these in the near future. I also have a cnc router and could make my own, but you've already done all the hard work.

Selling yet, or still working out the kinks?
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
FPV and Robotics
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Subscribed, I have a bixler and am using it for an autonomous project. Question: Can you remove the pod from the plane for swapping batteries?

Thanks,
Christian
kidovate is offline Find More Posts by kidovate
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
Would love to have this pod so I don't have to stuff my bixler with light foam to keep everything from moving about in flight.
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidovate View Post
Subscribed, I have a bixler and am using it for an autonomous project. Question: Can you remove the pod from the plane for swapping batteries?

Thanks,
Christian
Yup, the pod is held on with a bolt at the front. It's pretty easy to remove it to swap packs, especially if you use a wiring harness like I did.

Here's a bit of an update - I haven't yet heard back from the laser cutting guy, so I'm not sure how much progress he's made. Sorry for the delay; it's a bit difficult to coordinate this whole thing from college. I'll keep everyone posted.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Sorry that this thread may have seemed dead for the past week or two, I've been caught up with work for my classes. Anyways, I've got the updated design ready for laser cutting. Looks like I can fit two pods on a 12" x 24" sheet of ply with room to spare! I haven't yet determined if it'd be better to cut two at a time, or just use a 12" x 12" sheet for each one. Depends on the pricing of the wood I suppose.

I'll have to ask a friend back home to put together and test out the fit of the new pod for me. If everything goes well, they should be ready for sale soon after that!

I don't think that any of us following this thread are worried about it going dead...so no worries man.

As far as fitting one or two pods on a sheet, why not make the most out of one sheet? I'm not sure how concerned you are with change out time...or change over time, or machine efficiency. But being in manufacturing, I think about these kinds of things every day. How can I make the most out of my machine? If it were me, I'd make the most out of each sheet, with the least amount of waste. Just my .02...if you can fit 2 pods on one sheet, why not?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:20 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Yup, the pod is held on with a bolt at the front. It's pretty easy to remove it to swap packs, especially if you use a wiring harness like I did.

Here's a bit of an update - I haven't yet heard back from the laser cutting guy, so I'm not sure how much progress he's made. Sorry for the delay; it's a bit difficult to coordinate this whole thing from college. I'll keep everyone posted.
Will there be a template showing where to trim the foam on the forward fuselage?
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Will there be a template showing where to trim the foam on the forward fuselage?
I'll be sure to write something about it in the instructions. It's a pretty simple cut - just a straight continuation of the cutout that's already there, if that makes sense .
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
I'll be sure to write something about it in the instructions. It's a pretty simple cut - just a straight continuation of the cutout that's already there, if that makes sense .
I thought that was what it looked like in the photo. I've installed the servos in my v4 and am getting it ready to paint the wings and tail. I think I'll go ahead and cut the forward fuselage in anticipation for your Pod but won't paint the fuselage until after mating fuselage/Pod. I moved the servos to the tail so I will be able to remove all the extra interior foam up front and balance the GoPro better.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
I thought that was what it looked like in the photo. I've installed the servos in my v4 and am getting it ready to paint the wings and tail. I think I'll go ahead and cut the forward fuselage in anticipation for your Pod but won't paint the fuselage until after mating fuselage/Pod. I moved the servos to the tail so I will be able to remove all the extra interior foam up front and balance the GoPro better.
Good call moving the servos to the tail, that'll definately free up some space up front. I didn't have any issues balancing the GoPro with everything in the stock locations, but it couldn't hurt .

You might notice that there's a couple of large molding marks near the servo pockets inside the fuselage. Go ahead and trim these off, since they stick out just far enough to interfere with the battery tray. I'm planning to include a note about this in the pod instructions as well.

EDIT: Actually, since you've got a newer Sky Surfer with the internal servo mounts, it'd probably be best to remove all of the foam protrusions on the inside so that the fuselage is as open as that of the v1 and the Bixler. There's a comparison pic at the bottom of this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2.
Last edited by Rocketman1092; Feb 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
EDIT: Actually, since you've got a newer Sky Surfer with the internal servo mounts, it'd probably be best to remove all of the foam protrusions on the inside so that the fuselage is as open as that of the v1 and the Bixler. There's a comparison pic at the bottom of this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2.
Yep, that's the plan. Using your file (the one you removed), I will make a couple of cardboard templates so that I can get an idea of what I want to do inside the fuselage. I'll probably be using an HK Orange R910 receiver with 2 satellite receivers or a Spektrum AR8000 with one satellite. On my Bixler everything is stretch out along the inside of the fuselage. Your Pod will definitely make for a nicer setup.
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Feb 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
I would be up for one of these. Brand new Bixler here waiting for building.
moonreft is offline Find More Posts by moonreft
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
928 Posts
I'm also up for one of these to build it on my new Bixler as well.
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,605 Posts
Update (again)

Hi guys,

I still haven't heard back from the laser cutting guy, so I can only assume that he's too busy or currently has other issues to deal with. I've contacted Tim at ReadyMadeRC to see if he would be interested in working out a deal to produce and sell the kit.

Many thanks for your patience thus far!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Hello,

A week as past, any news?
I think that you have a great design for a pod to the bixler and other "compatible" planes, there is only 2 guy's for producing the pod?
Myself and other's in this thread REALLY want this pod!

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:30 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
I am in the process of selecting my first ever Rc plane and I want something I can grow with it. If I decide to go with a Bixler, I'm in.
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist