HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
C'mon man....what kind of excuse is school work??! I kid...I kid! Thanks for the update! Lookin good! Can't wait to get a hold of one!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:14 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
Great design! $40 is reasonable... a slight discount for a pack of two is even better!

Can you post addition close up pics/video of how you have the electronics mounted (OSD, etc)?

I'm sure you would be able to sell custom wire harnesses as well!

Absolutely amazing work and a huge high-five for taking the time and effort to CAD and produce these!
MikeD096 is offline Find More Posts by MikeD096
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
Hidden parts?

In your parts layout image there are two parts that are hidden from view. They are a trapezoid shaped piece with a hole in the middle, and the smallest part on the page. Could you tells us where they go?
mlmcquiggjr is offline Find More Posts by mlmcquiggjr
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcquiggjr View Post
In your parts layout image there are two parts that are hidden from view. They are a trapezoid shaped piece with a hole in the middle, and the smallest part on the page. Could you tells us where they go?
Sure. The trapezoid piece with the hole is glued into the plane and holds the blind nut for the bolt at the front of the pod. The smallest part (the one under the trapezoid?) is the "tongue" that sits behind the backplate slides into the fuselage.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:05 AM
The Master of Disaster
Joplin MO
Joined May 2009
168 Posts
are these ready for purchase yet? PM me your paypal and Ill send the cash. I use my easystar for a FPV/camera platform I take photos for many people , anyway I need to build a new one as my old one is completely used up LOL, and am building it now. And think I would love to have one of these on board. I think I would be foolish if I dont build it around the module however, so I need to get my hands on one strait away please. Let me know as soon as I can purchase one Thanks Jai.
Jairoblaster is offline Find More Posts by Jairoblaster
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairoblaster View Post
are these ready for purchase yet? PM me your paypal and Ill send the cash. I use my easystar for a FPV/camera platform I take photos for many people , anyway I need to build a new one as my old one is completely used up LOL, and am building it now. And think I would love to have one of these on board. I think I would be foolish if I dont build it around the module however, so I need to get my hands on one strait away please. Let me know as soon as I can purchase one Thanks Jai.
Almost! The first pods will be cut this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted.

Can anyone confirm that a pod built for the Bixler/SkySurfer would fit the EasyStar? It looks like the canopy area is nearly identical judging by this picture, but I don't have an EasyStar to check for myself. The difference in area at the front of the canopy doesn't matter, since this will be removed anyway.

I can send a PDF template of the pod's bottom and back plates if there's anyone willing to print them out and check the fit.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
The parts fit!

I took the parts layout image and traced the parts and ran them through my Momus CNC. Here is my rendition.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,586 Posts
Wow, neat! Does using a router rather than a laser cutter cause any issues with the rounding of small edges like the interlocking tabs? I'm planning to build my own CNC mill, and have been contemplating whether I could use it to cut the pods without creating a sloppy parts fit. It'd be more convenient to use a mill since the laser takes 3 passes to cut through the plywood.

I just went ahead and removed that screenshot, as I didn't realize it'd be so easy for other people to just trace it into a CNC-ready file .
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Dec 2005
112 Posts
Don't worry about me-

I'm not going to sell any of your fine design one is enough for me 'tell my next crash! I used a 1/16 inch cutter and did have to "work" on a few tabs to get them snug. A CNC router/mill is a good investment. There is a forum for the Momus over at CNC Zone.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Wow, neat! Does using a router rather than a laser cutter cause any issues with the rounding of small edges like the interlocking tabs? I'm planning to build my own CNC mill, and have been contemplating whether I could use it to cut the pods without creating a sloppy parts fit. It'd be more convenient to use a mill since the laser takes 3 passes to cut through the plywood.

I just went ahead and removed that screenshot, as I didn't realize it'd be so easy for other people to just trace it into a CNC-ready file .
I also printed the file and was looking to cut out the pieces on my band saw (no CNC ). Lots of work and you said htat you were almost ready to start production.
Even it I had built one I would have ordered 2 sets from you.
Talent and effort must be rewarded!
Have you got the PayPal account set up yet and how many can you make in a weekend?
You might have to limit people to only 1 initially.

Success!
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Have you got the PayPal account set up yet and how many can you make in a weekend?
You might have to limit people to only 1 initially.

Success!
It's tough to say what the production rate could be. It takes about 20min to cut out a pod, since the laser has to make 3 passes to burn all the way through the wood. Selling them in "batches" might be an option.

Since I'm away at school, a fellow R/C club member back home (the guy who owns the laser cutter) will be doing the cutting & shipping. I'm expecting to hear from him tonight or tomorrow regarding how the first kits came out.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
It's tough to say what the production rate could be. It takes about 20min to cut out a pod, since the laser has to make 3 passes to burn all the way through the wood. Selling them in "batches" might be an option.

Since I'm away at school, a fellow R/C club member back home (the guy who owns the laser cutter) will be doing the cutting & shipping. I'm expecting to hear from him tonight or tomorrow regarding how the first kits came out.
I don't know if this is a real option on not...
Is it possible to only make one or two passes with the laser and let people finish the cutting with an Exacto knife? At 20 minutes per pod (3 passes) that would only be about 20 to 24 per 8 hour shift. If the single pass method were viable you could up that to 60 or 70, or 40 or so for a 2 pass method.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
I don't know if this is a real option on not...
Is it possible to only make one or two passes with the laser and let people finish the cutting with an Exacto knife? At 20 minutes per pod (3 passes) that would only be about 20 to 24 per 8 hour shift. If the single pass method were viable you could up that to 60 or 70, or 40 or so for a 2 pass method.
I'm using pretty good quality plywood, and it'd be a pain to cut by hand if the laser made even two passes instead of three. I don't think demand will be high enough where production rate becomes a problem. If it is, I'll be pretty motivated to figure it out .

However, a side-effect of multiple passes is the charring/soot produced by the laser. On the first pods, we just spent a few minutes cleaning the edges of the parts with some damp paper towels, but I'd rather the customers not have to do this. Thoughts?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:18 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
Tape the wood with a heat resistant tape. Maybe scar the tape where the laser will be cutting it, so it still cuts clean, then just pull the tape afterwards.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Depending on what kind of laser setup you have, maybe you could come up with some way to apply a cover gas to the point where the laser is doing the work. Nitrogen or Argon will create an oxygen free zone so no charring should take place.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli