HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:40 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Just glued mine up and abit disappointed (alot actually) that the tray is not wide enough (or alternatively, tall enough) for any of my 3S 5000 (zippy) or 4S 5800 (zippy) batteries.

The only ones that fit on the tray are the 2200 (both 3S/4S), which I use anyway. For $40, this Pod / tray would have been killer (function and value) if it was either a tad wider or taller to fit a larger battery to allow duration flying.

- There is space inside the fuselarge. Maybe previous owners can get a discount on Version 2.

Hi idletime,

The tray's width is limited by the fuselage opening, which gets narrower towards the bottom of the plane. To fit a wider battery, the tray would have to sit higher in the fuselage. To fit a taller battery, it'd have to be narrower. The current size is a compromise.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:03 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
geminiryan,

Your build looks great so far! I have an Eagle Tree system mounted in my original pod, just check the images in post #1 to see where I chose to place everything. Let me know if the photos aren't clear enough.

Eric
Thanks! I completely forgot that you had those pics up. That will help out tremendously!! Thanks again Eric!
Ryan
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Just glued mine up and abit disappointed (alot actually) that the tray is not wide enough (or alternatively, tall enough) for any of my 3S 5000 (zippy) or 4S 5800 (zippy) batteries.

The only ones that fit on the tray are the 2200 (both 3S/4S), which I use anyway. For $40, this Pod / tray would have been killer (function and value) if it was either a tad wider or taller to fit a larger battery to allow duration flying.

- There is space inside the fuselarge. Maybe previous owners can get a discount on Version 2.
Just cut off the bottom part , this is what I did plenty of room now.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
40 Posts
Or you could drop in two 2200s, one in front of the other. Just get creative.
HockeyMac721 is offline Find More Posts by HockeyMac721
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Sure, I'll mod it - thanks for the suggestions.

Two 2200 seem like the best - as is....but the 5000/3S can fit, and would have been great if it did - out of the box so to speak. I'll post a photo later.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:16 AM
Trinium42
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
I would definatley like to get one of these for my Bixler! Are there any mods Required for the Install? (I don't have my FUZE Glue Together yet so Im not sure if I should wait on that?) But Anyways I have the $ and IF you have any ready to go I would like 1!
trinium42 is offline Find More Posts by trinium42
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Trinium42
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
So is anyone running an APM2 with one of these? It looks there should be some room for it, but if possible Id like to see any pics that may be out there!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
Hi trinium42,

There are a couple mods required for the install, but it'll be pretty easy since you haven't glued your fuselage together yet. All you need to do is make a cut to accomodate the front of the pod and remove a couple of protruding molding marks. The instructions that come with the pod detail this process.

Myself and a group of students here at Purdue are actually working with an APM2 now, and have it mounted on one of my pods. It fits nicely, especially with the pan/tilt mount plate removed. I can probably snap a picture this afternoon.

If you're interested in ordering a pod, just send me a PM.

Eric
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 PM
Trinium42
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Hey, I just got mine today and it's really well done, and has a better pamphlet then allot of other things I have ordered from professional shops.

I have picked up 2 types of glue to assemble my bixler, and the pod. Could I get your opinion which one I should use for which project.....Or If I should get something else. (I just want to get this as perfect as I can, and there are NO hobby shops here)
Also Did you ever get those pics of the APM2 mounted, and what parts you left off to mount it?

This is what I picked up so far:
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
Gorilla glue works well on foam, just be sure to use small amounts because of how much it expands. For assembling the pod, I'd reccomend using regular CA. If there aren't any hobby shops around, super glue should work just as well.

I haven't gotten a chance to take a picture of the APM2 mounted, but I'll try to describe it as best as I can. We placed it right above the octagonal-shaped hole in the pod's main plate, and it's secured with a strip of Velcro on either side of the hole. The piece we left off is the one that's on the very top of the pod. It's referred to as the "pan/tilt mounting tray" in the instructions.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
Trinium42
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
This probably (okay it does) falls under the category of "I shouldn't have to include this in the instructions, it's common sense" but you might want to add that people put the top plate on plane before cutting and make some kind of mark to make sure you don't cut too far forward.

I just put the straight edge on and extended a disposable box knife out so that I had a long blade, and I started cutting from the cockpit forward. I guess I figured if the line was perfectly level as I cut forward, I would come out where I was suppose to. You can guess what happened

Now I feel epically stupid for this, and I wish I would have mocked the plate up first, marked a front maximum line and then used a straight edge to cut towards the Fuze. It might save 1 person in 10 from making a mistake if you included that.... IT should be common sense I know.

Luckily I was able to use piece of the original cockpit cover and cut out a piece that will epoxy in place perfect, and since I am using some of that reinforced packing tape in key places it won't be noticeable. Ive seen other people using that same tape on the wings and well, everywhere.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
Hi trinium42,

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into problems cutting the canopy area. I considered including some sort of jig with the kit to aid in making the cut, but decided not to since I couldn't think of an easier way of doing it.

Having done thIs five times by now, I can say that making a straight cut from the cockpit forward will create the correct shape. However, I've only ever done it with an exacto blade by making small cuts at a time. Maybe the longer blade you used was able to bend and flex while cutting?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:13 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,261 Posts
rocketman are you still making this? sent you a PM
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
410 Posts
Are you still seling these? Would like to pick one up. Also, I'm planning to put an APM 2.0 with integrated GPS in it. will this pod work? Do you have any pic's with APM installed? Thanks!
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,624 Posts
I've had a couple requests for pods recently, so I'll likely try to produce a few more kits next week while I'm on fall break. An APM 2.0 will fit inside the pod, though I don't have any pics at the moment as the aircraft it was tested on isn't my own.