HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:27 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
New Product
Now Available - FPV Gear Pod Kit for Bixler/Sky Surfer

Hey FPV pilots,

Based on interest in the design I posted here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1569242, I've decided to offer laser-cut ply kits so that others can build the same "All-In-One" equipment pod. The pod is large enough to house a variety of FPV equipment, and fits nicely into the Bixler/Sky Surfer platform (provided that the front of the canopy opening is cut flat). It also features a long battery tray, which positions the flight pack at or near the CG.

Ordering Information

Price for the kit is $40 shipped within the United States. I can usually ship internationally for no extra cost, though shipping to some countries may require a few extra dollars.

Just send me a PM if interested. PayPal is preferred.

Thanks for looking!

Eric
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Last edited by Rocketman1092; Jul 13, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,793 Posts
How much would it cost for you to make me a pan/tilt module for this

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CB...u_Brochure.pdf

??
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
How much would it cost for you to make me a pan/tilt module for this

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CB...u_Brochure.pdf

??
Not sure I could do that, I've never designed a pan/tilt module.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, WI, Holmen
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
Looks very interesting. Subscribed
BGauweiler is offline Find More Posts by BGauweiler
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Apr 2011
125 Posts
this needs to accommodate those wanting to mount camera on pan/tilt servos....
igorek82 is offline Find More Posts by igorek82
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorek82 View Post
this needs to accommodate those wanting to mount camera on pan/tilt servos....
I think this is possible, as there's plenty of room towards the front of the pod for servos. I'll look into it.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
799 Posts
well a smaller one goes for about $35, but also has a pan/tilt
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=106
yzguy is offline Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
106 Posts
Subscribed. Interested.
smarm is offline Find More Posts by smarm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
409 Posts
Subscribed, very cool! lots of potential. I'll try it out once available!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
Just a quick update - I'm working on a simple pan/tilt mount that could be installed on the pod if the builder chooses. I'll post CAD screenshots soon!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
Well Done! --- I'd be interested in purchasing.

Hey there Rocketman!

I just followed this over from the Bixler thread where you posted a few moments ago. You have done a fantastic job and I imagine like me, you will have others who will be willing to buy kits off you for the right price.

FYI: The purpose of an easy neat solution to a FPV Bixler build is what attracked me. I have been scoping out the BIXler/SS and associated threads for some time, but the installs all look kinds messy. Your "tray" answers that very nicely, and has tipped me over to building one of these planes if you kit is available.

Price: There are quite a few competitors to your ply, lazer cut Bixler/SS etc FPV pod. They vary in price and all have thier own merits. Yours is the potentially neat install (but other's aren;t bad either). So I would consider paying approx US$20-30 for a beta version as you test out the final configuration, but once you get it sorted and production ready, I'd suggest you could charge more around US$50 for a slick copy with pan/tilt, good instructions etc and excellent fit. You would be marketing to premium/convenience customers, but they go for if it was well made. I guess you have to remember that many are happy to bash out thier own and thus the market may be mixed.

I'll be a beta tester for you and give you feedback on your design if you want further testing. PM me for further discussion! :-) I'm interested!

Cheers, and well done.

Matt
pheonix3 is offline Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
409 Posts
What I really like about this is, aside from the fact that it looks slick, is that it can be functional from the novice to the expert. Even if your not to the point of mounting a camera and associated FPV equipment, this provides a neat and clean platform for the basics. I've had a SS for about 2 weeks now and have begun to fill the compartment with the basic components, even though there is abundant space inside, accessibility is limited. I love the idea of a pod system!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates - this past week was the first week of classes after the holiday break. Anyways, I've sketched a concept for a basic pan/tilt mount for the pod, and will model it in CAD this weekend. Stay tuned!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates - this past week was the first week of classes after the holiday break. Anyways, I've sketched a concept for a basic pan/tilt mount for the pod, and will model it in CAD this weekend. Stay tuned!
Okay, I want one. When will they be available?
There are plenty of pan/tilt assemblies available at low cost. (I got one from ReadyMade and one from Hobby King.) For the small CCD camera just provide a cutout up front. I rarely use my pan/tilt. I vote to keep the cost down by making it an option. I currently fly with a 2650 and 3000 mah batteries so would designing with larger batteries in mind.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Okay, I want one. When will they be available?
There are plenty of pan/tilt assemblies available at low cost. (I got one from ReadyMade and one from Hobby King.) For the small CCD camera just provide a cutout up front. I rarely use my pan/tilt. I vote to keep the cost down by making it an option. I currently fly with a 2650 and 3000 mah batteries so would designing with larger batteries in mind.
HiFlyer,

It would certainly make it easier to just provide a cutout for an existing pan/tilt assembly, though I might include mine anyway since the amount of extra material is marginal. Regarding batteries, the width of the tray is limited by the width of the fuselage cavity. Maybe I could try to lower the floor of the battery tray some to accomodate larger packs?