HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I just emailed him...i need another minCP so i can really thrash this one

This is going to be what? Your 3rd one? You're sinking a lot of dough in this hobby, mate. You truly are an example to all of us!!!

Devo 8s combo (No extra receiver) costs 297$ on Taiwan Ebay... It's tempting but I have a different philosophy... Though I could be doing it wrong.... I bought a whole bunch of parts instead so that I never have to be grounded. The only thing that will ground me is a faulty RX at which point I would just buy a RTF MCP.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post
If this were true, I'd be a HAPPY HAPPY man. My X9503 has this feature, and it's a blessing. I am VERY forgetful with timers, and the throttle stick timer feature is remarkable.

If someone knows how to make this possible, PLEASE chime in and I will be forever grateful.

-Shane
It appears that I most likely got my "facts" crossed.

I don't own any Devo, but recently read the Devo 12 manual online. If I remember correctly, that manual stated two independent timers can be programmed to be activated from any switch/stick position, and an example was given on how to program the timer to start/stop when throttle stick is positioned above/below 10% of MAX.

I assumed except for larger display, and increased number of Model Memory, Channels, Switches, and Sliders all the other operational functionalities where the same with all the Devos.

Sorry for any confusion my misstatements may have caused. I'm fairly certain the people that own Devos know more about them then I do.

As far as timer is concerned, as I tried to state in my above post, I imagine the Voltage alarm offered by the telemetry feature (if available) is the preferred method. But maybe I'm wrong on that too. Maybe in actuality between the Voltage drops that occur during pitch pumps, and 0.1 V resolution, using telemetry Voltage info will not be suitable indication for LVC "early" warning alarm?
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:20 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Yeah you can set two for the 12...has slightly different firmware than the 8 and 6.

I went ahead and bit the bullet for MCP...since selling the Genius I miss having a really small indoor CP and since I am rocking the 12s now I need as many helis for it as possible =P

Next step is to install the D02S RXs into my NE 180s so I can use my 12 with those too and dump the junk J6.
After that my list for models in use by my 12 will be the 450 pro, v120d02s, mini cp, v200DQ01, 2x Solo Pro 180...now to get some free time from work so I can actually fly them.

The Devo 12s is honestly close to the best $370 ive spent in RC so far...cant express how awesome this radio is for the price amd the fact you get a nice alum case AND 12ch rx for under 400 shipped is ridic.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Last edited by RawmadeCF; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
It appears that I most likely got my "facts" crossed.

I don't own any Devo, but recently read the Devo 12 manual online. If I remember correctly, that manual stated two independent timers can be programmed to be activated from any switch/stick position, and an example was given on how to program the timer to start/stop when throttle stick is positioned above/below 10% of MAX.

I assumed except for larger display, and increased number of Model Memory, Channels, Switches, and Sliders all the other operational functionalities where the same with all the Devos.

Sorry for any confusion my misstatements may have caused. I'm fairly certain the people that own Devos know more about them then I do.

As far as timer is concerned, as I tried to state in my above post, I imagine the Voltage alarm offered by the telemetry feature (if available) is the preferred method. But maybe I'm wrong on that too. Maybe in actuality between the Voltage drops that occur during pitch pumps, and 0.1 V resolution, using telemetry Voltage info will not be suitable indication for LVC "early" warning alarm?
i812,

I just looked through my Devo 12S settings, and I couldn't find anything that would let me set my Throttle Stick to activate the timer... :roll eyes:

Oh well, maybe on a future firmware update.

-Shane
ShaneXman is online now Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:55 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Looks like helipal is going to try to sell some Mini Cps (Be sure to read their long description of the vid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSESL67u4l4

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post
i812,

I just looked through my Devo 12S settings, and I couldn't find anything that would let me set my Throttle Stick to activate the timer... :roll eyes:

Oh well, maybe on a future firmware update.

-Shane
hmm...

The last few years, I've noticed that I've been loosing more of the finer details of my memory the older I get. I must be getting really bad if I'm now starting to just make up stuff!

Hopefully I'm not that bad yet. If you have the D12, and can't confirm, then I'll go back and spot check the manual, and hopefully be able to post a link to a paragraph that describes the programming steps.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
Joined Nov 2011
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Looks like helipal is going to try to sell some Mini Cps (Be sure to read their long description of the vid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSESL67u4l4

Rafa
That video made the mCP X look REALLY good (excluding price). LOL

-Shane
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
Joined Nov 2011
938 Posts
Quote:
hmm...

The last few years, I've noticed that I've been loosing more of the finer details of my memory the older I get. I must be getting really bad if I'm now starting to just make up stuff!

Hopefully I'm not that bad yet. If you have the D12, and can't confirm, then I'll go back and spot check the manual, and hopefully be able to post a link to a paragraph that describes the programming steps.
Honestly, I got my Devo 12S yesterday...so I could totally be missing something. If you could post the reference, I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm sincerely hoping that this option exists somewhere within the menu options. *fingers crossed*

Cheers!

-Shane
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
327 Posts
After receiving the new MCP with Devo8S, after minor check on the programming first fly out of the box was not successful. It sudden shoot off during hovering at above mid stick. Luckily cut off immediately without damage.
Double check something wrong with transmitter setup on throttle curve setting.
After some tweaking flight is ok, stable & very precise control.
However there still some drifting issues during hovering.

Did lot of adjustment for throttle & DR+ Expo combination, it is now more stable with better piro & tail holding.
Higher head speed will be more stable during flight.
But tail will still drift a little after few minutes of flight when battery getting drain.

Still need some adjustment to improve the performance, currently will stick with original stock parts.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
... The Devo 12s is honestly close to the best $370 ive spent in RC so far...cant express how awesome this radio is for the price amd the fact you get a nice alum case AND 12ch rx for under 400 shipped is ridic.
Was that the one time deal I read about a few weeks ago? What might have been a "mistake" price, that quickly got sold out, and ad was "pulled" within the first hour of it being posted? Miracle Mart?

If all I intend on flying is helis, and anticipate being happy with 15 Walkera/Devo models, could you (and others) please list some of the "selling" points the D12S has over the 8S?

I'll start with some guesses:

D12 is:

Larger Size? (I'm used to the 2801Pro and DX7, and guessing larger won't make me feel better)

Heavier? ("")

LiPo power (BIG NEGATIVE imo, I'd MUCH rather use NiMh being that they're "idiot" proof)

12 Channels (I'm can't think of anything fun to do with the 2 extras the 8 gives)

Larger Display (I don't anticipate spending much time looking at the display)

3 Display "backgrounds" to choose from (1 may be easier to read in sunlight?)

Brighter Display? (easier to read in sunlight?, I live in TX where bright day is norm)

5 Flight Modes (I've only flown FP's, tried D/R and Expo but so far only use RX EXT pot, and fly 100% "straight" thumbs, i.e. only 1 flight mode) (I've spent a lot of time on Sim training inverted, and tried D/R and Expo, but still prefer 100% straight)

More D/R switch positions ("")

Throttle activated timer (Devo 8 doesn't have this feature? I'll have to check, but will I really care about not having this feature if the Voltage alarm works?)

Re-map-able switches (Devo 8 doesn't have this feature? Besides TH is there anything else that I'd want to relocate? If Flight Mode is 5 position switch, and TH/RUD switch is < 5 position, wouldn't it be better to physically swap locations of switches?)

Anything else?

Cost of D8 in RTF package adds ~ $150 to BNF cost, so in my "eyes" D8S = $150; whereas if $370 D12S is still available, it would have to bring $220 worth of more "joy" to the party. From where I'm sitting now, I don't see it happening.

I understand it all has to do with YVMV, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something from my decision making "equation"?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:16 AM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Can anybody confirm if the mcpx tail rotor can be used on the mini cp? To me they look almost exactly the same.

I ask because I had to prioritize which mini cp spare parts to buy, and if the tail rotors are the same, I can buy the mcpx versions for half the price.
superglued is offline Find More Posts by superglued
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:30 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Was that the one time deal I read about a few weeks ago? What might have been a "mistake" price, that quickly got sold out, and ad was "pulled" within the first hour of it being posted? Miracle Mart?

If all I intend on flying is helis, and anticipate being happy with 15 Walkera/Devo models, could you (and others) please list some of the "selling" points the D12S has over the 8S?

I'll start with some guesses:

D12 is:

Larger Size? (I'm used to the 2801Pro and DX7, and guessing larger won't make me feel better)

Heavier? ("")

LiPo power (BIG NEGATIVE imo, I'd MUCH rather use NiMh being that they're "idiot" proof)

12 Channels (I'm can't think of anything fun to do with the 2 extras the 8 gives)

Larger Display (I don't anticipate spending much time looking at the display)

3 Display "backgrounds" to choose from (1 may be easier to read in sunlight?)

Brighter Display? (easier to read in sunlight?, I live in TX where bright day is norm)

5 Flight Modes (I've only flown FP's, tried D/R and Expo but so far only use RX EXT pot, and fly 100% "straight" thumbs, i.e. only 1 flight mode) (I've spent a lot of time on Sim training inverted, and tried D/R and Expo, but still prefer 100% straight)

More D/R switch positions ("")

Throttle activated timer (Devo 8 doesn't have this feature? I'll have to check, but will I really care about not having this feature if the Voltage alarm works?)

Re-map-able switches (Devo 8 doesn't have this feature? Besides TH is there anything else that I'd want to relocate? If Flight Mode is 5 position switch, and TH/RUD switch is < 5 position, wouldn't it be better to physically swap locations of switches?)

Anything else?

Cost of D8 in RTF package adds ~ $150 to BNF cost, so in my "eyes" D8S = $150; whereas if $370 D12S is still available, it would have to bring $220 worth of more "joy" to the party. From where I'm sitting now, I don't see it happening.

I understand it all has to do with YVMV, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something from my decision making "equation"?
I ordered it from a chinese retailer that sells them wholesale, thats the 10+ price but they gave me it with just a single order.
If you just fly the WK helis it doesnt provide anything more than novelty any more than a 18MZ would. I however also fly 9-12ch planes and am building a 10ch scale heli so the channels are actually needed.
I like how the 12 feels more than the 8 and my 6 also.
The front menu access to curves and gyro is a plus for me also.
Its just an all around nice radio and blows *anything* in its price range out of the water imo.
For the large high channel planes the switch setup is the best ive used with the side sliders. Theres just nothing about it I dont like.
I gave my Aurora to my brother without second thought and my 9303 is in the closet.
As I said though, it doesnt offer anything.more than the 6 or 8 for these little helis, but no radio would. You either want a big high channel radio or you dont =)
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Here's a detailed post on why one person chose the 12s http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=10
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2004
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Servo gear replacements are now available for the Mini CP and Genius CP on Taiwan Ebay. 1.35$ each. That's a lot cheaper than replacing servos. Of course, the gears were added to Ebay the day after I ordered 6 spare servos.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Can you provide me with the link to Taiwan Ebay selling the replacement servo gear set for Mini CP / Genius CP. I cannot find it on Taiwan Ebay and also Hobbyone in Hong Kong was selling it but the web page has been removed.
DWKN is offline Find More Posts by DWKN
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKN View Post
Hi Chris,

Can you provide me with the link to Taiwan Ebay selling the replacement servo gear set for Mini CP / Genius CP. I cannot find it on Taiwan Ebay and also Hobbyone in Hong Kong was selling it but the web page has been removed.
I dont know if its useful for you but i found this on Taobao:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14360343275

I was planning to order a few myself, just in case.
Sonicg is offline Find More Posts by Sonicg