HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
its fine to charge the 240/350/etc at 2C. the hyperion can be charged at 5C, i only charge them at 2C because im usually not in a rush.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Just an update: After apparently being lied to about the Mini's finally being in stock and shipped within 24 hours I get this email from another person at Banggood:

Dear friend,

The item SKU026829+SKU026831 in your order are out of stock,

and it may restock next week,are you want to wait for it?

Looking forward to your early reply!

--

Best Regards
Jennifer
Web: www.banggood.com
MSN: banggood@live.cn

Omg, I cannot believe that its not possible for them to walk down to an rc shop and use your money to buy this heli!!!!!. I notice Aron Quin isnt showing his face around here anymore. I feel for you, I slwouldnt have hair left if my money was still wrapped up in their company. Unbelievable, you would think they would be afraid that their reputation would be tarnished. I guess they dont give a s#%t
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I guess I will charge these batteries at .45A , .35 is just too slow. I am currently letting the heli to run out of battery, then I charge them. I need to figure out a way to know when the voltage is low enough to stop flying. The way I fly though is crash, fly,crash, fly. Sometimes i forget to stop the timer when I crash.
Same here, Sir. The timer means little if you don't stop it every time you land or crash, and then you have to remember to turn it back on when you take off again. It doesn't work out so well. The timer is useful for me when I do sports flying as I do not crash very often anymore. But when I practice 3D, I'm looking at an average of 2 crashes per battery. It's brutal.

Quote:
i only charge them at 2C because im usually not in a rush.
I charge all my batteries at about 0.8C. It's slow charging but it preserves the batteries. I just make sure I have enough batteries not to worry about having a battery to use. I'm never in a rush to charge a battery. I use paralel charging harnesses that can charge 6 batteries at the time, at 0.8C

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
When i get my 10 batteries in the mail then I will charge them at 0.8 unless someone says different.

No one answered my question on locking the landing gear down so it doesnt come off in a crash. If the landing gear is locked down, then I can lock the canopy down to it. I hate having to remove the canopy to reinstall it after a crash. But is it better for the landing gear/battery to go flying off in a bad crash? If its better to let that happen, then how can we lock the canopy down? The carbon) rods will break if the canopy is locked down the landing gear. I viewed someone's video showing a broken heli blade glued to the bottom of the battery tray. Like a diving board the canopy is fit over it.
Isnt the force of the impact already dissapated when the landing gear goes flying?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,181 Posts
Quote:
... I am currently letting the heli to run out of battery, then I charge them. I need to figure out a way to know when the voltage is low enough to stop flying. The way I fly though is crash, fly,crash, fly. Sometimes i forget to stop the timer when I crash.
As far as flying micro Walkeras and LiPo's is concerned, flying the heli until it "drops" is OK as long as you don't try to push the Motor anymore, and immediately come down under an emergency "mayday" (unmotorized) "forced" glide landing. The only known problem I've experienced with that approach is sometimes the heli runs out of "fuel" too far from a decent landing zone, and am forced to "glide" into a "tree" or "mountain" (I'm an indoor flier, have a cluttered living room, with only 1 small "cleared" landing zone). To the best of my knowledge I've never damaged a LiPo from using it up to the time the heli dropped, I've only damaged LiPos from keeping them fully charged for extended periods of time (weeks/months).

If you have a mcp, then you must have a Devo. From what I read, Devo 6 and 7 only need a free firmware upgrade to use telemetry info, and atleast one (I think 2) people in a different thread recently posted that their Devo 8 (non S version) is also able to receive telemetry info with the original (non upgraded) module. IMO, even if it cost +$20 to upgrade to telemetry, I would do it. I have the same problem of getting in the habit of starting, and stopping the timer (although I think the Devo's can be programmed to auto start/stop the timer when THROTTLE stick is moved from/to zero position). Also I don't enjoy trying to remember which different LiPo has what amount of flight time, depending on brand, technology, size, age, temperature, etc. I'm thinking a Voltage activated alarm is a no-brainer, just program once and you'll have no-hassle Plug-n-Play forever no matter which battery is used. I don't have a mcp yet (I'm waiting for mcp parts to get stocked), but when I get one, my game plane is to first fly it till it drops, and immediately determine the "drop" Voltage, then program the TX to alarm 0.1V before the "drop" Voltage, so it gives me enough pre-warning time to come in under a powered (non Mayday) landing.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I have the devo 7 and havent heard anything about it having telementary, only devo 6,8,12. And Hopefully there is a way to restart the timer with a throttle push on devo 7.

Just went to walkera site to find software update to telementary and the devo 7 isnt listed.
Last edited by mescalinedream; Feb 23, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
I have the devo 7 and havent heard anything about it having telementary, only devo 6,8,12. And Hopefully there is a way to restart the timer with a throttle push on devo 7.
So far no software update for the DEVO 7.
Actually no usb cable either with which you could update the firmware, and the readme.txt file of the v1.3 upgrading tool doesn't list the DEVO 7 as supported yet...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
It probably won't happen. The devo 7 is such a low end radio in walkera's eyes. Its too bad. Although, I dont look at the radio when flying. And i doubt walkera would give any extra programming features for the 7
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
872 Posts
Finally got a refund and am watching my bank account to see when it posts so I can order from WOW. For those who ordered from WOW, what all came with it? I see this on other sites and wanted to make sure it also came with the Mini-Devo8s combo at WOW.
Package Included:
1 x Mini CP helicopter
1 x DEVO8S transmitter
1 x Li-Po Battery Charger
1 x USB Charging wire
1 x 3.7V 240mAh Li-Po Battery
1 x RX801 receiver
1 x USB cable
1 x Neck strap
1 x Instruction manual disc
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:20 PM
USA, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jan 2011
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Finally got a refund and am watching my bank account to see when it posts so I can order from WOW. For those who ordered from WOW, what all came with it? I see this on other sites and wanted to make sure it also came with the Mini-Devo8s combo at WOW.
Package Included:
1 x Mini CP helicopter
1 x DEVO8S transmitter
1 x Li-Po Battery Charger
1 x USB Charging wire
1 x 3.7V 240mAh Li-Po Battery
1 x RX801 receiver
1 x USB cable
1 x Neck strap
1 x Instruction manual disc
No RX801 receiver in my combo.
para5063 is offline Find More Posts by para5063
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,101 Posts
WOW keeps the RX801 and sells it separately to make more $$$$...they never have included a extra rx with any combo that i have heard of...ever..
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,369 Posts
I got a a 12 channel rx with my devo12 combos...both of them. But no the devo8 combo does n to come with one.
I am not sure if they sell it seperate or the order combos without them..
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,101 Posts
thats great that they include a extra rx with the Devo12 combo's...especially beings its a big $$ purchase , makes it more worth while would really be nice if they would include a 3 axis rx tho..
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
thats great that they include a extra rx with the Devo12 combo's...especially beings its a big $$ purchase , makes it more worth while would really be nice if they would include a 3 axis rx tho..
It'd be nice if they gave me an extra minicp with the deal too

WOW are you listening!
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
In series all the batteries see the same current for a 3S1P setup. So for a safe charge do 0.35A which is a 1C charge rate. When charging in series you should always do balanced charging.

The batteries 20C rating has nothing to do with charging but signifies how much current you can safely take out of the battery during discharge. So for a 350mah battery rated at 20C you can discharge it at 7.0A max.

For long battery life it is best to not take out more than 80% of it's rating. So for a 350mah battery you should not have to put back more than 280mah of charge.

Bettery battery chargers tell you how much you put back into the battery so you can figure out your safe flight time.

Hope this helps, Don
Question......I bought a GensAce 3S 2200 45C 11.1V to try them out, the thing takes 2400+mah on a full charge, this seems to be a good thing because it weighs what a normal 2200 would weigh about 185g. My end voltage is 4.20-4.22 per cell after a full charge. Either these batteries are under rated on mah's or is this an over charge situation? But so far no puffs or overheats, the charger checks out ok and is calibrated.

These GensAce batteries are cheap and really good quality, wish they would make a micro battery, they are rated for 5C charge.

I think the whole thing with batteries is to get enough so you can fly non-stop for whatever time you usually fly. The downside of chargeing @ a high C rating dosent give you a full charge to the battery, so you lose some performance in that way. Say you fly for an hour, each battery gives you 5 mins flight, take a few min break between flight so thats about 10 lipos to keep you flying for 1hr prety much non-stop. Now figure out how many batteries you can charge in an hour......I can do 3-1S per half hour on a balance charger @ 1C full charge, so that 6 per hour. Using this formula you can make 6 batteries keep you in the air indefinately if you fly 6 and are charging 6. 12 1S lipos is the magic number for me with the micros

For the larger birds 5- or 6 lipos per hour can do the same thing, with slightly longer flights and more breaks in between. Can fly 2 450's a 2 120s basically all afternoon with a couple red bulls to keep the fingers steady Every season i cycle a few old batteries out and get some new ones to replace them, I also use voltage monitors with lights and audible alarms on the 450s. 6 bucks is cheap insurance to keep the lipos giving full output. It goes off when a cell hits 3.2V under load in the air. Then the esc gives a little tail flick every second or so.

http://helidirect.com/maxpro-battery...ies-p-8159.hdx
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711