HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
So what do I charge 3 batteries at in series? In amps. 3 350mah 20c batteries.
In a series you increase the voltage so you would charge it as a X cell battery depending on how many you have. If you charge in parallel you charge it as one big mah battery so you add the mah up.
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Quote:
So what do I charge 3 batteries at in series? In amps. 3 350mah 20c batteries.
In series all the batteries see the same current for a 3S1P setup. So for a safe charge do 0.35A which is a 1C charge rate. When charging in series you should always do balanced charging.

The batteries 20C rating has nothing to do with charging but signifies how much current you can safely take out of the battery during discharge. So for a 350mah battery rated at 20C you can discharge it at 7.0A max.

For long battery life it is best to not take out more than 80% of it's rating. So for a 350mah battery you should not have to put back more than 280mah of charge.

Bettery battery chargers tell you how much you put back into the battery so you can figure out your safe flight time.

Hope this helps, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2004
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKN View Post
Hi Sonicg,

Thanks again for your advice. I did that last night in the model shop for increasing the gyro gain even to 100% but no improvement. Actually I emailed 9imod in China today for the problem and they suggested me to reload the software configuration for MCP using Genius CP from Walkera's site. I will try that tonight to see if it helps.
I reloaded the heli configuration of Genius CP downloaded from Walkera site to run my MCP. It was something trial-and-error as the instruction was not clear enough. Nevertheless, it succeeded at last and the LED blinking and tail spinning problems are all gone! After restoring the settings according to MCP user manual, the bird was flying excellently stable .......... even better than my V120D02S. The first time I can hover a stock Walkera heli nearly hands free with zero adjustment in anything.
DWKN is offline Find More Posts by DWKN
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
I ordered min on Feb. 3rd... They were "factory stock" but received an email on the 6th stating that they were back-ordered until the 15th but I would be upgraded to DHL shipping, then I was told they would be in stock within 3 days on the 18th, now at 9pm yesterday I was told they're in stock and will be shipped (HK post, NOT DHL as promised) within 24 hours. If I don't get a tracking number within 9 more hours I'm issuing a charge back. Many have had good success with this company but I'm not one of them.

*Edit* After typing that I'm issuing the charge-back now as I'm tired of being strung along. Way to do business there... I should have cancelled back on the 6th and went with WOW...

And now hearing that WOW has RMA'ed some parts I will definitely spend the extra $15 and order through them.
Just an update: After apparently being lied to about the Mini's finally being in stock and shipped within 24 hours I get this email from another person at Banggood:

Dear friend,

The item SKU026829+SKU026831 in your order are out of stock,

and it may restock next week,are you want to wait for it?

Looking forward to your early reply!

--

Best Regards
Jennifer
Web: www.banggood.com
MSN: banggood@live.cn

itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Feb 2008
143 Posts
Quote:
And use rcecho.com 350mah batteries! I get 8 minutes of runtime no 3d
That's amazing! How is it possible that 240mAh batteries give 2-3 minutes whereas 350mAh batteries give 8 minutes? This could be the solution to one of the only things keeping me away from the MiniCP
Zoide is offline Find More Posts by Zoide
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
DLY
HobbyOne
Joined Aug 2011
128 Posts
today I got MCP pinion and main gear mooser, the flight lasts more than 5 mins
DLY is offline Find More Posts by DLY
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,425 Posts
I ordered parts on the 9th of February with oomodel and haven't received them yet. Still showing "processing" on their website. I called them today and Viki told me that they shipped the order but it was returned to them as the shipping company refused to carry some of the parts. Didn't make sense to me since it's only plastic parts. No batteries and no electronics. Things like landing skids, main frame, servo holder, etc.

That said, I never received a notification that my order was shipped. I don't like getting the run around so I canceled my order. Besides, parts are now available on Taiwan Ebay, for cheaper, and it gets here in 24 hours. So i re-ordered through Taiwan Ebay yesterday evening and my order is already shipped and should be ready for pick up at my local 7-11 tomorrow.

Too bad for oomodel.... I guess they have to learn to not advertise stock on parts that are NOT in stock. My order was for about 150$ as I ordered parts for the Genius, the Mini and the V120d02s. I guess they lost my business. They know me on a first name basis now since I talk to them on the phone quite often. I'm guessing they'll know to ship my orders in a timely fashion in the future or else I'll just cancel it and they won't get the business.

Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:28 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I ordered parts on the 9th of February with oomodel and haven't received them yet. Still showing "processing" on their website. I called them today and Viki told me that they shipped the order but it was returned to them as the shipping company refused to carry some of the parts. Didn't make sense to me since it's only plastic parts. No batteries and no electronics. Things like landing skids, main frame, servo holder, etc.

That said, I never received a notification that my order was shipped. I don't like getting the run around so I canceled my order. Besides, parts are now available on Taiwan Ebay, for cheaper, and it gets here in 24 hours. So i re-ordered through Taiwan Ebay yesterday evening and my order is already shipped and should be ready for pick up at my local 7-11 tomorrow.

Too bad for oomodel.... I guess they have to learn to not advertise stock on parts that are NOT in stock. My order was for about 150$ as I ordered parts for the Genius, the Mini and the V120d02s. I guess they lost my business. They know me on a first name basis now since I talk to them on the phone quite often. I'm guessing they'll know to ship my orders in a timely fashion in the future or else I'll just cancel it and they won't get the business.

Chris
There are to many vendors that don't do business like that for me to mess with them. MM, clubheli,rc711, helipal, Wow, an now helircstore, helidirect. Usually it only takes 6 or 7 days from the vendors in china that I buy from. This is airmail the cheap shipping. If I have time to burn I will order from hobbyking.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
...For long battery life it is best to not take out more than 80% of it's rating. So for a 350mah battery you should not have to put back more than 280mah of charge.

Bettery battery chargers tell you how much you put back into the battery so you can figure out your safe flight time.

Hope this helps, Don
I'm not a LiPo expert, but believe the above statement is technically incorrect.

From what I've read, to get maximum amount of discharge power during a LiPo's possible lifecycle, it would be better to monitor Voltage and not go below the recommended discharge Voltage.

Without getting into much detail, below is an overview of some things I think I remember reading about LiPo's:

The statement in the above post applies to a fresh new LiPo: discharging it down to 80% of its "full" (new) charge (mAh) rating will drop the LiPo's Voltage to it's recommended rechargeable Voltage.

Due to molecular/atomic properties of the LiPo, as it ages with normal usage/charges, over time more and more of the the "free" ions (charges) that make the LiPo function as a battery will become permanently "bonded" (ion/charge is no longer "free"), and there will be less and less "free" charge (mAh) available for the battery to use. This means as the battery ages through normal usage, it will be able to be recharged, but over time fewer and fewer mAh (charge) will be discharged/charged before reaching the recommended discharge Voltage.

Also once again, due to molecular/atomic properties of the LiPo, permanent bonding of the ions/charges occurs the fastest when the LiPo is over discharged too low in Voltage, or is stored at full charge Voltage for extended time. When it comes to "bonding" it's not the amount of charge (mAh) that goes into or out of a LiPo that is important, it is Voltage that is important.

In the above post, if the LiPo always had 280 mAh discharged from it: at first it would be discharged down to the recommended discharge Voltage; however, as time went on because of "bonding" - continuously discharging 280 mAh from the LiPo would cause the LiPo to go lower and lower past the recommended discharge Voltage, which is a sure way of prematurely increasing the rate of "bonding".

I believe the same LiPo, would have delivered more charge over its lifetime, if instead it was operated to the recommended discharge Voltage. This way, overtime less and less "free" charge would be available (i.e. overtime the LiPo would last less and less time); however, because the battery was never over discharged to below the recommended discharge Voltage, there wouldn't have been accelerated "permanent" bonding (i.e. accelerated permanent degradation of the LiPo).
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Feb 23, 2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:08 AM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
I just ordered these from wow and will be picking them up on the weekend: http://www.wowhobbies.com/battery-tr...cxfpandcp.aspx

Is 20C going to be ok for the mcp?
superglued is offline Find More Posts by superglued
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:14 AM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I'm not a LiPo expert, but believe the above statement is technically incorrect.

From what I've read, to get maximum amount of discharge power during a LiPo's possible lifecycle, it would be better to monitor Voltage and not go below the recommended discharge Voltage.

Without getting into much detail, below is an overview of some things I think I remember reading about LiPo's:

The statement in the above post applies to a fresh new LiPo: discharging it down to 80% of its "full" (new) charge (mAh) rating will drop the LiPo's Voltage to it's recommended rechargeable Voltage.

Due to molecular/atomic properties of the LiPo, as it ages with normal usage/charges, over time more and more of the the "free" ions (charges) that make the LiPo function as a battery will become permanently "bonded" (ion/charge is longer "free"), and there will be less and less "free" charge (mAh) available for the battery to use. This means as the battery ages through normal usage, it will be able to be recharged, but over time fewer and fewer mAh (charge) will be discharged/charged before reaching the recommended discharge Voltage.

Also once again, due to molecular/atomic properties of the LiPo, permanent bonding of the ions/charges occurs the fastest when the LiPo is over discharged too low in Voltage, or is stored at full charge Voltage for extended time. When it comes to "bonding" it's not the amount of charge (mAh) that goes into or out of a LiPo that is important, it is Voltage that is important.

In the above post, if the LiPo always had 280 mAh discharged from it: at first it would be discharged down to the recommended discharge Voltage; however, as time went on because of "bonding" - continuously discharging 280 mAh from the LiPo would cause the LiPo to go lower and lower past the recommended discharge Voltage, which is a sure way of prematurely increasing the rate of "bonding".

I believe the same LiPo, would have delivered more charge over its lifetime, if instead it was operated to the recommended discharge Voltage. This way, overtime less and less "free" charge would be available (i.e. overtime the LiPo would last less and less time); however, because the battery was never over discharged to below the recommended discharge Voltage, there wouldn't have been accelerated "permanent" bonding (i.e. accelerated permanent degradation of the LiPo).
sounds about correct. thats why I use voltage cut off in my models with bigger batteries (450: 2200mah, rc cars >5000 mah), on the heli, I have a timer set that reminds me so I land before the cut off, plains and cars just cut off the ESC (doesnt mean I wait for the cut off to happen though).

however, these little batteries are cheap as I personally don't give them much care, I land when I feel I have to and I charge them at 3,4,5,6,10C depending on how fast I want it back; those little batteries are usually rated for charge rates of 6-10C. This might reduce their lifetime but sure I had more fun flying than waiting for them to be recharged. If batteries don't bring it anymore, I dispose them and get new ones... If I have to spend $12/year to get 5 fresh batteries, than I don't care... hell, I used to be a smoker and spent $8/day on a pack of ciggs.

1C charge rate is very conservative, it was the standard a couple of years back when lipos just made it into RC world but they did evolve since.

DISCLAIMER: this is my personal view on this topic and will differ widely from yours. Always charge lipos in a fire safe place!
Mulder_ is offline Find More Posts by Mulder_
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Can i charge 350 Mah 25C batteries with the charger that came with the mini CP?
Sonicg is offline Find More Posts by Sonicg
Last edited by Sonicg; Feb 23, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
USA, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jan 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicg View Post
Yes, it shouldn't be a problem to use the USB charger that came with the Mini CP
para5063 is offline Find More Posts by para5063
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicg View Post
You can, indeed. It will take longer for them to charge, though. If you're serious about sticking to this hobby for a while, I recommend buying a decent charger. I use a B6AC charger and it's lovely. I can charge 10 of your 350mAh batteries up to ten times faster than you can charge only one battery with the stock charger. Additionally, I can discharge batteries, cycle batteries, and I can also charge them under the "storage" mode which is meant to only partially charge or discharge the batteries to optimum voltage for storage. I paid about 50 bucks for my charger and I never looked back.

YMMV.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I guess I will charge these batteries at .45A , .35 is just too slow. I am currently letting the heli to run out of battery, then I charge them. I need to figure out a way to know when the voltage is low enough to stop flying. The way I fly though is crash, fly,crash, fly. Sometimes i forget to stop the timer when I crash.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream