Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,983 Posts
I'm sure for you Bob, they'll make it happen.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
901 Posts
Have you guys seen these pictures?

VERY sexy...

Link: http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=MiniCP
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post
VERY sexy...
...until you take the canopy off.

Think I'll wait for the early adopters to identify the issues first. That motor looks like a mosfet killer.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
I can symphasize with Walkera's engineers. You try to get a innovative product out the door. Is hard enough to get it working and make sure there are no stupid mistakes. Is afterward that you realize if you only configured it this way, it would be much better.
Then you see that other companies can discover the same idea, and be one better than you. The problem is you can't change the configuration without starting with a new model. Then you know the customers would be pissed at you for changing again. Sometimes management are piss at you for making more changes. Eventually, you have to do it.

I think this helicopter will be inherently better than the Genius, and there is no other way to get then than a new design. This has a lower polar moment of inertia. Circuit board is vertical, and close to the mast for less polar inertia.
Looks like servos are positioned almost radially around the mast in a 120 deg configuration. The cg of the servos looks very close to the mast. That is more efficient for low polar inertia not haveing the long length of the servo in a rectangular configuration like the current Genius. The battery is directly under the mast. That is also lower inertia than having the battery stick out front.
Just base on physics alone, the 3D capability should be better than the Genius all else being equal. Should be able to flip and yaw faster. The Genius cannot be "tweeked" for this type of improvement. Is a new configuration. When they say is smaller than the Genius, I don't think is actuallly any smaller rotor wise, but is probably the mechanism that is more compact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I was thinking same, having as much of the mass as possible as close as possible to the Main Shaft is "ideal". It looks like they are making changes in the right direction.

I'd like to see if they can still repeatedly stomp on the Canopy, and Landing Skids again though.

I'd be even happier, if they also showed the Tail Boom and Main Frame survive being stomped on!

If they could manufacture it to survive that kind of abuse, then they'd probably have to legally put Warning labels on it, cautioning not to put it in our mouth, just to be on the "safe" side.
To get closest to Main Shaft, mount the RX under Main Gear.

Position center of RX (just like Battery) under Main Shaft CoG.

That would give it the Best Piro Rate.

Right?

Problem, how to balance the Tail? Answer: Go back to prior design
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added problem
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Polac View Post
Here's another flight vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP37pn2zY0g

Looks quite durable. 3:36...
I've seen the V120D02S crashed onto pavement repeatedly in videos with no damage and yet in every crash onto pavement that I've had happen I stripped a servo.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
exactly. knowing walkera they made the heli RX not bind to current Devo 8 unless you buy and install the new module into the TX.
If they sell that module with the new faceplate I will consider buying it.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
...until you take the canopy off.

Think I'll wait for the early adopters to identify the issues first. That motor looks like a mosfet killer.
The current Genius does use Fairchild PowerTrench MOSFET which is one of the best out there. Walkera is starting to use top quality components here. So it might be ok.

They can't screw up too bad on this one. All the components except for the motor has already been proven. The only unknown is the circuit board, but you can download software now, so that should eliminate the risk of program error. Given Genius's track record, would say this is relatively risk free for early adopters.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
To get closest to Main Shaft, mount the RX under Main Gear.

Position center of RX (just like Battery) under Main Shaft CoG.

That would give it the Best Piro Rate.

Right?

Problem, how to balance the Tail? Answer: Go back to prior design
That got me thinking about the ultimate set-up. They can use a shaft drive with tiny bevel gears to save weight back there.
For tail control, at this scale, servo is too big and clumsy. A voice coil fits the application better. That is the same kind of actuator on the read/write arm of a hard drive. If the blades are balanced properly with "chinese weights", should theoretically take no force to change the pitch. Voice coil can be ultra fast. Then don't even use a pot for position feedback. That adds too much complication. Use the yaw of the helicopter via gyro as the feedback.

There you have it, light, perfect tail control. That would be very fun helicopter! Hope Walkera is listening.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
The official specs are now out on Walkera's site

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=MiniCP

This heli will be compatible with the Devo 6,7,8, and 12 in addition to the 8S. There will also be a BNF version available for the 2801 pro. One of the most important new features is that the firmware of the receiver can be upgraded through the Internet. Perhaps we are now getting close to the day when we have a full blown FBL system like the BeastX and 3GX in a micro heli.

What started as a little money sucker with the Genius is about to turn into a gigantic vacuum cleaner for your money!
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I've seen the V120D02S crashed onto pavement repeatedly in videos with no damage and yet in every crash onto pavement that I've had happen I stripped a servo.
+1. I started flying over grass exclusively! Just gotta watch those tail gears!

AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
upgrade via internet??? What i dont beleive walkera would be so kind
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:45 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
The rx upgrade port will probably use some proprietary connector only compatible with the Devo 8s.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:50 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The official specs are now out on Walkera's site

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=MiniCP

This heli will be compatible with the Devo 6,7,8, and 12 in addition to the 8S. There will also be a BNF version available for the 2801 pro. One of the most important new features is that the firmware of the receiver can be upgraded through the Internet. Perhaps we are now getting close to the day when we have a full blown FBL system like the BeastX and 3GX in a micro heli.

What started as a little money sucker with the Genius is about to turn into a gigantic vacuum cleaner for your money!
BNF for the 2801,, Where do I order it..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I just thought that it might mater to some of you guys.... Can I order one with the Devo 8 and one BNF??
You can have my membership card for the one heli a month club. So you can now be in the two helis a month club.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You can have my membership card for the one heli a month club. So you can now be in the two helis a month club.

But I haven't even ordered a single heli this month or for that matter this year,,,,,,yet.. So if I plan this right I'll send in the order at 11:59PM on 1/31/12 and one will end up being the January one and the other the February one..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob