SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Yes but that is only half the problem - every time a finger folds it risks shorting and damage to the Rx - so a alternative longer lasting motor is going to be required - looking at the limited space the only one I can see to fit the bill is the 10300 kv in-runner which is very heavy and not particularly powerful.

As they say todays solutions are tomorrows problems - sorry but this design to me looks to have too many problems in store for my liking.

Regards David
The obvious solution will be one of the smaller outrunners (4.5g) and an 3-5A esc w/ converter if thats the case. Space looks really tight though. Brushed keeps it cheap, light and profitable. I really like the mCP-X its about as small as I want to go, if my kid hovers a heli in the back of my truck...i would enforce the Long Arm of the Law since if the heli hit my head in traffic i would be kind of hot That was a funny advert...where was the do not try this at home disclaimer?
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
The obvious solution will be one of the smaller outrunners (4.5g) and an 3-5A esc w/ converter if thats the case. Space looks really tight though. Brushed keeps it cheap, light and profitable. I really like the mCP-X its about as small as I want to go, if my kid hovers a heli in the back of my truck...i would enforce the Long Arm of the Law since if the heli hit my head in traffic i would be kind of hot That was a funny advert...where was the do not try this at home disclaimer?
Is there room for a small outrunner - that is my criticism room looks too limited for a outrunner.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Is there room for a small outrunner - that is my criticism room looks too limited for a outrunner.

Regards David
It looks like a really tight fit. I don't think the 4.5g will go. IMO, it has just about the same zip as my BL Genius so far. I can't say how long the main motor will last though. I have over 15 flights with it so far and the power is still like new. I tried installing an old 4#3 brushed motor into my Genius and the added weight just made it slow to respond. I will try weighing the 2 and see if there is a difference. One thing I can say is I like flying this heli much more than my other Genius'. Of course I have yet to let Manny take a shot with her. That will be the ultimate test. LOL.

BTW, I increased the cyclic response by adding travel to 110% and adjusting D/R to 105% with 25% Expo. Also, I got the yaw rate to increase by adding Rudd travel to 121%L and 120%R, D/R to 125% and Exp to -6%. This is just a decent starting point. I'm sure Manny will speed up response for full 3D.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
It looks like a really tight fit. I don't think the 4.5g will go. IMO, it has just about the same zip as my BL Genius so far. I can't say how long the main motor will last though. I have over 15 flights with it so far and the power is still like new. I tried installing an old 4#3 brushed motor into my Genius and the added weight just made it slow to respond. I will try weighing the 2 and see if there is a difference. One thing I can say is I like flying this heli much more than my other Genius'. Of course I have yet to let Manny take a shot with her. That will be the ultimate test. LOL.

BTW, I increased the cyclic response by adding travel to 110% and adjusting D/R to 105% with 25% Expo. Also, I got the yaw rate to increase by adding Rudd travel to 121%L and 120%R, D/R to 125% and Exp to -6%. This is just a decent starting point. I'm sure Manny will speed up response for full 3D.
Can't wait to see a vid of manny flying it
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
948 Posts
Quote:
Well Shane its the latest but only time will tell if its the greatest - lot of questions to answer yet like - how long will these motors last and when the blow will they take the Rx fets with them and if they do what will you replace them with - the very heavy 10300 kv in-runner

Regards David
David,

I agree 100%...however, either way I want the telemetry and Devo 8S. I look forward to seeing how all of this plays out though.

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
233 Posts
How would the quality and feel of a Devo 8S compare to a Spektrum radio such as the DX7 or the JR 9503?

I have an mSR + JR 9503. I was a bit tired of the pendulum effect, so I was thinking of getting the mSR X. However, after reading all the negative publicity I've been eyeing the Mini CP lustfully, but this would mean switching radio systems...
Zoide is online now Find More Posts by Zoide
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
How would the quality and feel of a Devo 8S compare to a Spektrum radio such as the DX7 or the JR 9503?

I have an mSR + JR 9503. I was a bit tired of the pendulum effect, so I was thinking of getting the mSR X. However, after reading all the negative publicity I've been eyeing the Mini CP lustfully, but this would mean switching radio systems...
Wanna trade my practically brand new Genius CP / Devo 8 combo for your mSR / JR 9503 combo?

Check it out here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20394037

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ShaneXman; Jan 11, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
s...
The dx7 is similar in overall feel to the devo8. Even though the devo is an 8 channel it has about the same amount of switches as a standard 6-7 channel radio.

X9503 to the devo..the 9503 is better on the quality and doesnt feel cheap and light like the devo8. It also has better feeling sticks (IMHO). But you get more in the micro arena with Walkera then you will in spektrum. You also get a fancy touch screen which is nice with the devo. Both are about as easy to program even though walkera has the touch screen as the 9503 is very intuitive...
For the money and product line... if i could choose only one----Walkera all the way
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
One thing I can say is I like flying this heli much more than my other Genius'.
Does this one have the ccw yaw drift like the genius?

You like flying it more than your "other Genius'"...so you like this better than a brushless genius?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
(Why didn't I think of that?)

EVERY TIME walkera comes out with a new name, I spend hours thinking: what were they thing about when they came up with that? No matter how drunk or sober I get, I'm always clueless!

Genius
mini Genius (Austin Powers mini-me?)

2801E
2801Pro
Devo8
Devo8S

It looks like V's were the "in" thing in 2010
D's were in 2011
S's are 2012

I've spent countless more hours trying to predict what the next new suffix character would be.

The "mini"-prefix took me by surprise! After the fact, the best guess I could come up with is that maybe the bootleg copy of the Austin Power movie just reached communist China? and mini-me is now a hit over there?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOgzvUO94E0
Hey, I might be correct!

I have more proof:

First publicized statement of "got my mini-me in the GP" @ 0:39
(warning: it might be R rated, but it is public @ youtube so?)

Dr. Evil & Mini Me - Hard Knock Life HD (2 min 2 sec)

Got me thinking about Devo again,

could it be just bad Chinese English?

and they pronounce Dr. Evil as D'Evo?

hmm...
(c'est la vie))
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achogg33 View Post
This was posted in the genius thread though id bring if here.

It says "First internal 6-Axis gyro micro 3D flybarless helicopter."
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Polac View Post
This was posted in the genius thread though id bring if here.

It says "First internal 6-Axis gyro micro 3D flybarless helicopter."
Any one call for the price yet??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Oh come-on Bob just take the hook...it can't be that expensive.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Why does it matter bob? You know your going to get 1.......or 2
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Polac View Post
Why does it matter bob? You know your going to get 1.......or 2
I just thought that it might mater to some of you guys.... Can I order one with the Devo 8 and one BNF??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob