Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelen View Post
hmm...
I'll wait for the V2 of this one
knowing walkera this means a revised model in 2-4 month..

EDIT:
they might add a random char at the end of the model name. could even be ..
(Why didn't I think of that?)

EVERY TIME walkera comes out with a new name, I spend hours thinking: what were they thing about when they came up with that? No matter how drunk or sober I get, I'm always clueless!

4G6
4G6S
V120D02
V120D02S

Genius
mini Genius (Austin Powers mini-me?)

2801E
2801Pro
Devo8
Devo8S

It looks like V's were the "in" thing in 2010
D's were in 2011
S's are 2012

I've spent countless more hours trying to predict what the next new suffix character would be.

The "mini"-prefix took me by surprise! After the fact, the best guess I could come up with is that maybe the bootleg copy of the Austin Power movie just reached communist China? and mini-me is now a hit over there?

Funny Austin Powers song with Dr. Evil and Mini Me (1 min 11 sec)
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 10, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneXman View Post
but I want the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately, the Genius has to go before I can buy the Mini CP, so I will be putting my practically brand new and mint condition Genius up for sale this week. .

I can't wait to get my hands on this little Mini CP.

-Shane
Well Shane its the latest but only time will tell if its the greatest - lot of questions to answer yet like - how long will these motors last and when the blow will they take the Rx fets with them and if they do what will you replace them with - the very heavy 10300 kv in-runner

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Well Shane its the latest but only time will tell if its the greatest - lot of questions to answer yet like - how long will these motors last and when the blow will they take the Rx fets with them and if they do what will you replace them with - the very heavy 10300 kv in-runner

Regards David
My thoughts exactly. Many feel the V100D08 is a better flyer than the Genius, but where is it now? If this is going to be bundles with the Devo 8S initially, it will cost well over $300.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,139 Posts
Nice vid booby

I think perhaps I want one lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
That's what I meant,, the V120D02S or mine anyways has a lot of power, more than I need for my style of flying.. I'm still trying to find a TC and PC that I like in Normal to give me a smoother hovering range.. Wish I had a 7 point curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoUf...c3FAAAAAAAAAAA
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I can flip my mcpx and GCP; however I flip the mcpx more because I'm not as afraid of hurting it as I am the GCP

Not that the GCP is weak (cept for the skids) its just that I care less about the MCPX lol.

Plus tail hold on my GCP hasn't been great lately even with a new tail assemly

Going to try mcpx new rotor on it.

EDIT:

I also find the GCP hard to see with stock canopy

If the 120 has more power than I'll likely get one.

I find that my MCPX and GCP to bog down when flipping (GCP is BL) BUT its more likely be not properly using cyclic and banging the sticks too much.
The issue with both the MCPx and the Genius was the bogging down of the motor when inverted. My crash rate approached 100% and it was very discouraging. I must have been less than 50 successful flips/loops/rolls with my 3 MCPx and 2 Geniuses combined. I was definitely thinking of giving up.

With the V120D02S, I could flip right from the start without fear of the motor getting bogged down. The only concern is that the battery must be in good condition. However, I have done more than 50 flips in a flight without any problems. I now flip the heli from the side so I can time the flips much better. Not only does it looks better from the side, it is safer as well. I have several incidents when the heli nearly hit me because of mis-timed backflips. I found that loops in FFF are much more demanding in terms of skill than flips, especially if you are doing them from the side.

Of course, during this period, I have had hundreds of crashes as well but most result in no damage. The tail gears and the skids are the most common items that are damaged. But the actual maintenance cost per flight has been much less than either the Genius or MCPx. But the most important thing for me as that I am making the fastest progress in many years.

I thought of going back to the Genius or MCPx to learn inverted hovering but this is not necessary now because I just achieved my first sustained inverted hover yesterday. Anything thing I really like about the V120D02S is how fast it can fly. The speed it can reach can be frightening and it must be flying as fast as my Trex 250 which is a notorious speed demon. There is a feeling you get after flying full blast FFF with the V120D02S that is missing with the MCPx and the Genius.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,139 Posts
Cool

Now I really want one
My wife is now mad at you lol

Just kidding

Or am I?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Cool

Now I really want one

Just kidding

Or am I?
I'm sure she is really mad..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post

Regards David

This motor? Judgeging by the height against the servos this is the famous "1225" brushed and it is a 10 - 50 flight motor in general especially for a CP. That's unless they changed those "5 finger spring brushes" to carbon pads, the motor will be a possible weak spot as a stock heli. I still have bags and bags of carcusses somewhere trying to make this brush set work with that commutator, oh yea fun stuff indeed Buy the 5 pack

I dont think they understand and even more so do they care about the western worlds idea about heli culture. Imagine how insulted Blade/Eflite buyers would be with news like this, and they did it slick right before the Chines New year......this is the year of the dragon

Last year was, the year of hey rocky,,,,,watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

Keep em coming Walkera, we ♥ you

PS the black and white wire guage is a bit thicker coming out of the motor than the old 1225's ...so thats promising
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
This motor? Judgeging by the height against the servos this is the famous "1225" brushed and it is a 10 - 50 flight motor in general especially for a CP. That's unless they changed those "5 finger spring brushes" to carbon pads, the motor will be a possible weak spot as a stock heli. I still have bags and bags of carcusses somewhere trying to make this brush set work with that commutator, oh yea fun stuff indeed Buy the 5 pack

I dont think they understand and even more so do they care about the western worlds idea about heli culture. Imagine how insulted Blade/Eflite buyers would be with news like this, and they did it slick right before the Chines New year......this is the year of the dragon

PS the black and white wire guage is a bit thicker coming out of the motor than the old 1225's ...so thats promising
I have one replacement all ready to go with the gear on it.. and 9 more as backups just needing a gear swap.. got them for $1.50 each last year..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Cool

Now I really want one

Just kidding

Or am I?
You can do what I did with my last few purchases. Once I got back to my apartment complex, I removed all the packaging and left it in my car. I then put the heli and accessories into a small plastic bag before taking it up to my apartment. My wife didn't have a clue that I have just bought another heli.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
I see the motor and a foot....... It could be also be a 1220, same scenario just a bit shorter.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,139 Posts
Lol

Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You can do what I did with my last few purchases. Once I got back to my apartment complex, I removed all the packaging and left it in my car. I then put the heli and accessories into a small plastic bag before taking it up to my apartment. My wife didn't have a clue that I have just bought another heli.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
I Like Deraring
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
1,006 Posts
I want one. But is walkera still using those stupid connectors? Tell me they are using different connectors and I will buy one.

Edit: mini me.... Lol next will be fat genius
jdog83 is offline Find More Posts by jdog83
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post

Yes but that is only half the problem - every time a finger folds it risks shorting and damage to the Rx - so a alternative longer lasting motor is going to be required - looking at the limited space the only one I can see to fit the bill is the 10300 kv in-runner which is very heavy and not particularly powerful.

As they say todays solutions are tomorrows problems - sorry but this design to me looks to have too many problems in store for my liking.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Unless she reads rcgroups...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler