HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a bad servo after all. Erratically it will let go and "lift its arm". It is the one on the lh side behind the motor.
torsten01 is offline Find More Posts by torsten01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
[QUOTE=itsmillertime;21887928]Not until I started running crazy head speeds. I have noticed that my mini likes to eat main shafts though.[/QUOTe

Hey- noticed you are from Memphis...Just getting started and was checking out some of the Walkera's. Do you know if anyone sells them in town?

Thanks
MT176 is offline Find More Posts by MT176
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
Bad servo: mine does not seem to have broken teeth. It still behaves badly though (see above). Can it still be a bad servo when after a few seconds the servo arm moves up and sits there twitching causing the Mini to run out of control.

Bad servo or bad main board?????? Problem in the servo or in the signal to the servo?
torsten01 is offline Find More Posts by torsten01
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:51 AM
...if you take the time
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten01 View Post
Bad servo: mine does not seem to have broken teeth. It still behaves badly though (see above). Can it still be a bad servo when after a few seconds the servo arm moves up and sits there twitching causing the Mini to run out of control.

Bad servo or bad main board?????? Problem in the servo or in the signal to the servo?
Swap servos, and check how it behaves in its new position...
PurpleShark is online now Find More Posts by PurpleShark
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 AM
...if you take the time
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Harmony,
I'm using Tom Z beginner setting, and getting 4 minutes.
I would check the settings, and make sure the gear mesh is not too tight.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark View Post
Harmony,
I'm using Tom Z beginner setting, and getting 4 minutes.
I would check the settings, and make sure the gear mesh is not too tight.
Is 4 minutes flight time with the stock battery?
OK. I'll download Tom Z beginner setting and test it today.
If the gear mesh is very tight, how can I loosen it?
If I make another hole for the motor screw, it will be too loose.

Thank you.
harmony is offline Find More Posts by harmony
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,906 Posts
Stock can fly slow circuits in "normal" Mode for at least 4 minutes. In the "stunt" Modes it will fly less than 3 minutes, especially if you fly like you're trying to get away from the "Air Marshall" and/or bend the space-time continuum.

There should be at least (not less than) a hair's width (or two) air gap between Pinion and Main Gear all along the circumference of the Main Gear as it is rotated against the Pinion. The air gap can be adjusted by loosening both Motor mount screws (under the Main Frame) and repositioning the Motor further or closer to the Main Gear as required, then retighten both Motor mount Screws, and re-verify there's at least (not less than) a hair's width air gap between Pinion and Main Gear all along the circumference of the Main Gear as it is rotated against the Pinion.

Some other things that could effect flight times:
  • Mechanical binding anywhere between Motor and Rotor Head
  • Bad LiPo
  • Bad wiring anywhere between LiPo and Motor (most likely broken wire strand(s) from excessive flexing)
  • Bad Motor (most likely metal brushes burnt/melted from excessive current draw when Motor is stalled)
  • Bad RX

Unfortunately, unless something is obviously visually damaged, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to determine which electrical part is malfunctioning without swapping with known good parts. I think one of the main reasons many RC heli enthusiasts own more than one of their favorite heli's is so they can be used as a test "parts".

FWIW, I don't believe the LiPo will be damaged if the Mini is flown until it looses power and start falling out of the sky, provided that when the Mini starts falling it does an emergency "May Day" landing! I've watched the Telemetry Voltage when "May Day" happens, and depending on how fast I was flying, "May Day" occurs when the Telemetry Voltage is anywhere between 3.4 and 3.3 V. Once I let off the sticks, the Telemetry Voltage increases back up to 3.7 V: however, if I try to fly again the Voltage will immediately drop to "May Day" again.

I don't believe I've had any noticeable problems flying LiPo's until "May Day"; in fact I believe the only problems I've ever had with abusing LiPos has been from keeping them fully charged for extended time (more than two weeks) without use.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: add last paragraph
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
...if you take the time
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
Is 4 minutes flight time with the stock battery?
OK. I'll download Tom Z beginner setting and test it today.
If the gear mesh is very tight, how can I loosen it?
If I make another hole for the motor screw, it will be too loose.

Thank you.
4 minutes is with stock. To change the mess you loosen the two screws which hold the motor and move it a little. Don't move it too far, you want a tiny amount of play. I've used a piece of paper between the gear, and then adjusted it a little.
Btw, I'm a beginner myself, only sharing what works for me. I guess other will chime in...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
As far as I know, that is true only if there is no load for the battery.
When a motor runs, the voltage is dropped much.
(Please check the discharge graph for turnigy 160mAh 30C.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X100929X44.jpg)
As in the figure, the voltage decreases around 3.3~3.4V during discharge.
However, if the discharge stops (means no load), the voltage should goes up.
I meant 3.7V with no load, sorry for the confusion
DantHimself is offline Find More Posts by DantHimself
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Quote:

My bad main board started like that, with an apparently bad servo. Swap the connectors around and see if the problem follows to the new servos, mine did.
DantHimself is offline Find More Posts by DantHimself
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,906 Posts
I couldn't find a video of the Mini doing a "May Day" landing, but did find this:

Second Crash of The Day | Air America | Classic Clips (2 min 32 sec)
Last edited by i812; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Change video (learned 1st video had unhappy ending)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:

I had several servos that gave similar problems. What you can do is remove the servo, take out the screws and remove the cover where the main servo gear mounts. Check for something inside causing binding. In one, it looked like a hair. I just made sure everything looked ok, put it back together and it is still working fine. The other one, I broke(temper).
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4,906 Posts
Here's one for the newbies:

helicopter crash new student with no instructor (1 min 10 sec)

(it brings back memories)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4d5AeAi7g

What a dip sh it ! Cant fly but tries to fly the thing around all those planes i would like to punch his face
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4d5AeAi7g

whoa! spectacular short flight! that pilot does not fear mortality, nor does he cares about the lives of others. Is "hog/hawk" the student, or did the student die?

my M0.5 8t pinion arrived yesterday, and I installed it successfully with a C clamp. Thanks for that.
I paired it with a GCP main gear (bigger than the MCP main gear).
somehow, the meshing is kind of odd. I have a hair's breadth gap between the gears, but it doesn't feel smooth.

I think either my motor bearings are shot, or the gear pitch is different. Anyone knows if this is the correct pitch?
http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?m...a360a62afe4812
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre