HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Looks like both to me.

I'm not worried about the pilot part. It is what they don't show that scares me the most. They didn't show how well it takes a "hit", yet with the Gcp sales video, survivability was shown as one of it's important features.
Voice of experience - its always the bits they don't show you that leg you up

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:46 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Well its either a truly remarkable Pilot or it flips much better than even the genius However I can see why people are getting annoyed - walkera have been listening to our complaints and instead of improving the genius with separate skids etc - they have put the improvements into a new model however they have also put things into it I really do not like so jury is still out.

Regards David

I can see by the video it has way more power for pitch change, the pilot looks to be only flying tail in which IMHO isnt too spectacular for a demo vid. I can do that tail in with my mcpx's upgraded and I am not a remarkable pilot by any means.. (and probably could do that when my genius goes brushless too)

In the end same ol Walkera too many new models and not refining what is out... I wonder what the 3rd revision to the devo series will be....
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I can see by the video it has way more power for pitch change, the pilot looks to be only flying tail in which IMHO isnt too spectacular for a demo vid. I can do that tail in and I am not a remarkable pilot by any means..

In the end sam ol Walkera too many new models and not refining what is out...
Yup and that what is upsetting people - if walkera were refining the genius no body would be put out by the new model - its bringing out a new model that upsets because it kisses goodbye the refinements to the genius we would all love to see - unless they are done by a third party

Although the vid just shows multiple flips the flipping is very tight but I too would like to see a full 3D video with inverted backwards flight Etc

Regards David
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Yup and that what is upsetting people - if walkera were refining the genius no body would be put out by the new model - its bringing out a new model that upsets because it kisses goodbye the refinements to the genius we would all love to see - unless they are done by a third party
I think we live in a "disposable" society now.

When I was a child, people use to take their "tubes" to the grocery store to test them, and if required bought a new one, to bring back home and plug in to fix their TV, stereo.

How many people in the world now days, bother to fix almost any consumer electrical device?

Even if they have the technical skills to fix it, after time spent troubleshooting, procuring parts, repairing, testing, a person could probably spend the same amount of time working at a low wage job (McDonald's?), and come back home with more "goods" in his pocket.

If a person doesn't have the skills to fix it, @ $100/hr repair charge, why bother fixing a $100 outdated device, when they can get a newer, faster, better device for the same price?

Unless they enjoy collecting antiques, people now days probably need to learn to leave go of the past, especially when dealing with electronics!

C'est la vie
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 09, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I actually have one of the first models out of China in my posession. It came with the Devo 8S, but I did not check out the telemetry stuff on it yet. All I can say is it flies really solid so far. It is quite a bit more powerful than the original Genius right out of the box (the new brushed main motor is bigger). It also comes with 240mah 25C packs stock which seem to have good power throughout the flight. They are a bit larger than the Hyperions so I have tested both and the Hyperions still have better climbout. But the stock packs are not that bad this time. The canopy is just shorter and is one piece. The heli is exactly the same size as the Genius from main shaft to tail motor. The main blades are the same and there is a new tail rotor that has the same shape as the MCP V3 blades with a little more pitch (I think). The board is mounted vertically (with no 6 axis or adj pots) and the servos are mounted at 120*. That's why the flip/roll rate is actually really nice with this "version". LOL. I have already flipped to inverted and hovers nicer than my stock Genius. It is definitely more powerful than a stock MCP and the tail holds. I have smacked the ground with it couple of times hard enough to chip a mainblade with no damage so far. Here are few a pics.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:05 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I didn't buy any heli's last year. I think I'll make up for it this year.

I haven't bought any this year,,
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:15 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
I can symphasize with Walkera's engineers. You try to get a innovative product out the door. Is hard enough to get it working and make sure there are no stupid mistakes. Is afterward that you realize if you only configured it this way, it would be much better.
Then you see that other companies can discover the same idea, and be one better than you. The problem is you can't change the configuration without starting with a new model. Then you know the customers would be pissed at you for changing again. Sometimes management are piss at you for making more changes. Eventually, you have to do it.

I think this helicopter will be inherently better than the Genius, and there is no other way to get then than a new design. This has a lower polar moment of inertia. Circuit board is vertical, and close to the mast for less polar inertia.
Looks like servos are positioned almost radially around the mast in a 120 deg configuration. The cg of the servos looks very close to the mast. That is more efficient for low polar inertia not haveing the long length of the servo in a rectangular configuration like the current Genius. The battery is directly under the mast. That is also lower inertia than having the battery stick out front.
Just base on physics alone, the 3D capability should be better than the Genius all else being equal. Should be able to flip and yaw faster. The Genius cannot be "tweeked" for this type of improvement. Is a new configuration. When they say is smaller than the Genius, I don't think is actuallly any smaller rotor wise, but is probably the mechanism that is more compact.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,021 Posts
I was thinking same, having as much of the mass as possible as close as possible to the Main Shaft is "ideal". It looks like they are making changes in the right direction.

I'd like to see if they can still repeatedly stomp on the Canopy, and Landing Skids again though.

I'd be even happier, if they also showed the Tail Boom and Main Frame survive being stomped on!

If they could manufacture it to survive that kind of abuse, then they'd probably have to legally put Warning labels on it, cautioning not to put it in our mouth, just to be on the "safe" side.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 09, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Here's another flight vid.

Walkera Mini CP Maiden Flight Review by AliShanMao (5 min 2 sec)

Looks quite durable. 3:36...
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
I think I'll have to get one..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I think I'll have to get one..
I think you should not confuse people cause I know the 'livonia bob one' = two.

But, yes. I think it seems to be really nice. Looks like I might be getting one too...
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
El Dorado de Helicópteros
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
I was debating whether to get the genius... looks like i found my answer
Proud Polac is offline Find More Posts by Proud Polac
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:09 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I actually have one of the first models out of China in my posession. It came with the Devo 8S, but I did not check out the telemetry stuff on it yet. All I can say is it flies really solid so far. It is quite a bit more powerful than the original Genius right out of the box (the new brushed main motor is bigger). It also comes with 240mah 25C packs stock which seem to have good power throughout the flight. They are a bit larger than the Hyperions so I have tested both and the Hyperions still have better climbout. But the stock packs are not that bad this time. The canopy is just shorter and is one piece. The heli is exactly the same size as the Genius from main shaft to tail motor. The main blades are the same and there is a new tail rotor that has the same shape as the MCP V3 blades with a little more pitch (I think). The board is mounted vertically (with no 6 axis or adj pots) and the servos are mounted at 120*. That's why the flip/roll rate is actually really nice with this "version". LOL. I have already flipped to inverted and hovers nicer than my stock Genius. It is definitely more powerful than a stock MCP and the tail holds. I have smacked the ground with it couple of times hard enough to chip a mainblade with no damage so far. Here are few a pics.
That's really interesting! What does it weigh compared to the genius? It looks like they stripped down the board so they could go with larger battery and motor. Does that translate to longer flight times and more power, or just more power? Doesn't look like a micro CP heli could get any simpler than this setup!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:16 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
I think you should not confuse people cause I know the 'livonia bob one' = two.

But, yes. I think it seems to be really nice. Looks like I might be getting one too...
No Bobs one = 2 to 4 depending on how many he gets past the wife undetected was the 28 written in indelible ink

Regards David
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
N36078 '41 BC-12-65
Retsof, NY
Joined Jul 2002
50 Posts
Any guess when these will be available for purchase?

Dave
taylorcraft078 is offline Find More Posts by taylorcraft078